15 replies to this topic

#1 HankS OFFLINE  

HankS

• Contributor
  • Member No: 7608
  • 48 Thanks
  • 107 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 03:34 PM

Simple question, looking at the pic below which post is the A and which is the F.

When my son first put this tractor back together the wiring was all hacked up. He wired it with the F on the left, front of tractor and A on the right. It started and ran but we could never get it to charge.even though all the static ohm meter tests looked good. Well eventually the head gasket blew, head bolts were loose. I replaced the head gasket got it running but it didn't crank over very well. It kept getting worse and even with a charger it didn't want to crank over. So he ordered a new starter generator. I was putting it back together today and started questioning the wiring. The diagram in the Ford parts manual shows the armature post on the left, front of tractor. I don't trust it though, it took at lot of messing around when he first put it together to determine the voltage regulator diagram had the posts labeled incorrectly. So I stopped, don't want to damage a brand new starter generator. Okay, end of story. If someone can take a quick look at theirs and let me know I'd appreciate it.

DSC_0006_01.JPG

#2 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 03:36 PM

"A" should be on the right, closest to the motor, and "F" on the left. On most of these generators, the casting is marked as to which is A and F.

Edited by johndeereelfman, January 10, 2013 - 03:38 PM.

• HankS said thank you

#3 HankS OFFLINE  

HankS

• Contributor
  • 48 Thanks
  • 107 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 03:43 PM

"A" should be on the right, closest to the motor, and "F" on the left. On most of these generators, the casting is marked as to which is A and F.

Thank you. The casting isn't marked, I would have thought it should be so I checked the original old Delco unit. No marks in the casting there either.

#4 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 569 Thanks
  • 631 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 08:00 PM

As he said A on right and F on left  on the delco s.g. that I've seen but all ways stamped in front of post. You said after hooking up every  thing before it would not charge you might need to polarize the regulator .  Got ahead myself if it looks like PO put a lot of paint on s.g. stamp might be filled in with paint if you take some fine sandpaper on small block lightly sand in front of post if stamp filled with paint there will be a slight indent where sandpaper doesn't touch just an idea.

Edited by gopher, January 10, 2013 - 08:14 PM.

• HankS said thank you

#5 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 10:38 PM

maybe backwards plus check this post below for testing startgenwire.jpg start1.jpg

hard to read this but from pulley end looking to rear of s/g A is on right

http://gardentractor...218:start1.jpg]

Edited by John@Reliable, January 10, 2013 - 10:47 PM.

• HankS and Arti have said thanks

#6 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 04:17 AM

The easy way to tell for sure, is with jumper cables. Hook them up to the battery. Take the positive cable and touch each terminal. When you find the A term, it will spin the motor.
  • HankS said thank you

#7 HankS OFFLINE  

HankS

• Contributor
  • 48 Thanks
  • 107 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 08:37 AM

Okay the pic John supplied adds to the confusion. The pic in the Ford parts manual shows the same, that's what started me 2nd guessing myself. I can try what Amigatec suggested, just wasn't sure if I could damage anything doing that. I'm sure the A post must be on the right, closest to engine, since the old starter worked wired like that.

#8 HankS OFFLINE  

HankS

• Contributor
  • 48 Thanks
  • 107 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 08:42 AM

As he said A on right and F on left  on the delco s.g. that I've seen but all ways stamped in front of post. You said after hooking up every  thing before it would not charge you might need to polarize the regulator .  Got ahead myself if it looks like PO put a lot of paint on s.g. stamp might be filled in with paint if you take some fine sandpaper on small block lightly sand in front of post if stamp filled with paint there will be a slight indent where sandpaper doesn't touch just an idea.

You're really polarizing the generator, not the regulator. With a starter generator, the generator side get's polarized the first time you use it as a starter. If you read the instructions for polarizing you'll see it's no different than using the key to start the engine. On a pure generator, no starter functionality, polarizing should be done.

• Arti said thank you

#9 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 10:05 AM

Remember there are 2 different rotations on S/G's. Most spin CW, but Cub Cadet and some others spin CCW. If you momentarily touch the F term it won't hurt anything.
  • HankS said thank you

#10 HankS OFFLINE  

HankS

• Contributor
  • 48 Thanks
  • 107 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 10:52 AM

Remember there are 2 different rotations on S/G's. Most spin CW, but Cub Cadet and some others spin CCW. If you momentarily touch the F term it won't hurt anything.

Okay thanks. Didn't think it would hurt but it's brand new and cost ~$120 with shipping.

#11 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 05:17 PM

Okay the pic John supplied adds to the confusion.

thatswhat.gif

• HankS said thank you

#12 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 05:52 PM

Also there are at least 3 different types of V/R's for these. They will all work, but have to wired up correctly.
  • HankS said thank you

#13 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 05:58 PM

Try this video for a better explanation. It will be at about the 2 min mark.

#14 HankS OFFLINE  

HankS

• Contributor
  • 48 Thanks
  • 107 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 07:18 PM

Also there are at least 3 different types of V/R's for these. They will all work, but have to wired up correctly.

I do have the correct VR. it's the same as the original. Once we determined the Ford parts manual had the wiring reversed we got everything working but still no charge.I did all the static tests, they checked out. Even seemed to get voltage out of the gen at one point while grounding out the field terminal, that's what the VR does. Replaced the VR on a long shot but no change. Then the starter side started to fail and my son ordered a new one. Didn't get a chance to work on it today but should be able to test it tomorrow.

Thanks

#15 HankS OFFLINE  

HankS

• Contributor
  • 48 Thanks
  • 107 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 07:20 PM

attachicon.gifthatswhat.gif

Got a laugh out of that John, thanks again.

• John@Reliable said thank you