Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 07:33 PM

I say arm the teachers, we have armed guards at Colleges. Where I work we have armed police. The reason they go after schools, is because they KNOW there are no guns.
  • tractorman604 and Kurtee have said thanks

#17 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 07:43 PM

My opinion is there are a very, very few kids or young adults who get into the violent video games and lose the line between the game and reality. Understand I'm saying a very small percentage, but it only takes one if that one only represents .000001%. So if true how do parents,schools or health professionals spot this one??

Mike.

So very,very true. So many of the video games today celebrate killing and death. The more kills you make the more points you score. That seems so wrong to me. I agree with you completely. People don't know the line between their violent movie's and video games and real life. I'm not bashing playing video games,but I think there are so much better things to do with your time. Thoughts go out to those involved in the shooting.

• Kurtee and ol' stonebreaker have said thanks

#18 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 07:47 PM

Its not a gun problem, its a criminal problem. A criminal is not going into a gun store and buying guns. (mistakes happen but not often). The gun control laws are only affecting law abiding citizens not criminals. For the everyday gun toten criminal, make the punishment real. If you are in posession of a gun while committing a felony, then its life in prison without parole. Make the punsihment stiff enough to actually deter the "everyday criminal".

As for these mass shootings, there isnt much you can do to deter the person. Most are already planning on killing themselves so they have nothing to loose. You can only limit the damage that they do. You cant do that by hiding under a desk.

If someone wants to kill themselves and take lots of people with them, then they are going to do it. Be it with a gun, bomb, car,etc.. If they are determined then they will find a way. I, for one, will not be setting idley by if one of these people try to harm me or mine. 

Bad people are out there and there is no law that will prevent that.

Edited by coldone, January 10, 2013 - 07:48 PM.

• nra1ifer, tractorgarden, jusjeepn and 7 others have said thanks

#19 Kurtee OFFLINE  

Kurtee

• Member No: 7561
  • 463 Thanks
  • 415 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 08:08 PM

This makes for some interesting reading. We have some good caring people here. Not all of us will agree on the approach that should be taken nor to the cause of the issue to begin with. I feel the we all believe something needs to be done. I personally believe that it all begins at birth and needs to be guided along. Parents need to be parents, not "buddies" with their children. The child needs to be taught to respect other people, other peoples property, and other peoples rights, and beliefs. The child needs to learn work ethics. There are many things that parents can teach their children, and many activities that can be shared. Lots of children are dropped at daycare and the parents do very little parenting when the children are with them. I feel that this is part of the downfall of our society in this country. This is not a gun problem it is a society issue.

• nra1ifer, tractorgarden, jusjeepn and 4 others have said thanks

#20 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 09:18 PM

I am sure some new laws will be made pretty soon to limit more of our freedoms established a few hundred years ago.  

I live in NY and shuddered when I heard what the governor was talking about.  It made me shudder at what was not talked about.  No real discussion of how to create jobs, save family farms, reduce the state's debt.  Just media hype talk so he can be a candidate when the President is done with his term.  He vacations in the same area I do.  If I see him this summer, I hope to talk to him about the differences between NYC and my beloved Upstate.  

The families in California will be in my thoughts tonight.  I'm glad no one was killed and the teacher was able to talk to the kid.  

Arming teachers is not the answer in my opinion.  Our principal in my elementary used to have a revolver in his drawer.  I thought it was really cool.  When asked, he would say it was there so he could protect us.  Well, one concerned parent or two called and after a while, we could no longer be protected.  We had an incident in middle school where a troubled girl took off from class and rummaged through the teachers cars in the parking lot.  She was looking for keys to take off, but found Mr. so and so's loaded .32 auto under his seat in the unlocked car.  This was in the mid 70's.  She began firing blindly and we were locked inside until further notice.  Nothing was really done to Mr. so and so for endangering us all with his stupidity.  

I doubt most teachers would want the added responsibility of being armed and the discipline needed to safeguard the weapon at all times.  Besides, that teacher would be a target to be disarmed by a student or student(s) who may have no other access to a firearm.  Let the teachers teach.  

Schools may have to hire trained protectors to protect.  That will add to the already high cost of schools.

Somewhere I have read, "an armed society is a polite society."

• jusjeepn and HowardsMF155 have said thanks

#21 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 09:57 PM

You can ban all you want, pass all the laws you want.....people will still go off the deep end & kill others.  Before the Oklahoma bombing, I never had a clue 2 things I use all the time, diesel fuel & ammonium nitrate, could cause such devastation.  Anyone can also take small std clips, and put more than one together with relative ease to make a large capacity clip.  Most people wanting to do harm can get a gun, or even make a simple one.  The lawless don't care about laws & will get around them.  For that reason, I have no problem for qualified teachers to carry.
  Most of the school shootings in my opinion are at least in a large extent due to weak minded kids growing up playing violent video games.  The games make it seem glorified to spill blood, and the more the better.  TV shows are no better. Kids just spend too much time in front of a TV or game system screen.  Start with the kids from a young age, and things can get better.  Spend more time with your kids, and encourage others to do so.  

Daniel I agree, and in some ways regret it. since i make my living selling that trash. I am in the video/dvd/br,game business.
We do have some good stuff, but it does not sell well? On the diesel/ammonium nitrate thing i knew it only because a farmer taught me to use it. He had a farm on a fine sandhill, drilling postholes was a futile endeavor. they filled in as fast as you dug them.
So he blew a hole set the post and backfilled.

#22 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 11:07 PM

Somewhere I have read, "an armed society is a polite society."

I believe it was Robert A Heinlein, the Science Fiction writer who said that, and I think in many ways its true.  I also think it is foolish to talk of passing more laws when it appears that often the laws that are in place are not being enforced.

I'm sorry for all the families that have been touched by these violent events, but I'm not sure "gun control" is the answer.  And while those of us who care can teach moral and responsible behavior to our children, there are plenty of parents who can't or won't, and who will get angry and upset with you if you dare to correct their child.  

As to arming teachers, it sounds great, but there are problems there also.  Someone comes into the school, shoots are fired and an armed teacher heads for the sound of the shots.  When another armed person, police or security, sees the armed teacher, what are they supposed to think?

I think violent video games and movie images have more power than we can imagine, but I can't see putting that genii back in the bottle either.  Businesses will produce that which creates profit, and laws will be skirted and broken in the pursuit of profit.  

How do you rebuild a lawful society?  Were we ever a really law-abiding society in the past?  Or is there just so much more coverage of violent acts?  Here again, the news media reports the stories that garner high ratings, and everyone tunes in to learn more about the latest atrocity.  Can we as a society turn off the news when the violence starts?  And a politician's motto is "Never let a good crisis go to waste".

I fear that all we can do is try to protect the freedoms we have left.  I started this with a quote, let me end it with one:  "Those who trade freedom for security will find neither" 

• coldone, tractorgarden and Bmerf have said thanks

#23 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 12:30 AM

And to think that I made three muzzle loading cannons in my high school metal shop. Guns are a tool.Guns are not a problem. political criminals are a deadly problem. We law abiding tool owners need to stand firm,for our rights,for our childrens rights. Or shall we outlaw computers,for I can not type. Pencils because I can not spell. Gasoline because it is dangerous? The tail needs to stop wagging the dog. Should we outlaw GT tractors? What about toilet bowl cleaner and alum.foil? The list gos on and on......
Our society is full of people that say,THERE SHOULD BE A LAW AGAINST THAT! without checking to see that their is already a law covering it. Shawn
  • coldone, Bmerf and ol' stonebreaker have said thanks

#24 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 02:37 AM

1) This is not a media problem, it is a GUN problem.

2) Do you really think our President wants to send his kids to an armed fortress for school?  He has to because of all the GUNS.

3) There were armed officers at Columbine, they couldn't stop it.  All you can do is limit the damage.

Ban sales of large capacity magazines and regulate EVERY gun and ammunition sale.

I have just one thing to say about that:

Attached Thumbnails

• wp92fdef70_05_06 (Medium).jpg

• tractorgarden said thank you

#25 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,757 Thanks
  • 8,925 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 08:28 AM

Everyone's opinion will be respected here. It's still a free country the last time I checked.

• nra1ifer, daytime dave, tractorgarden and 2 others have said thanks

#26 Bmerf ONLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 08:51 AM

... We, as parents, have to instill morals and respect for life and teach our children that thi sis not the way to get things done.  Unfortunately most adults are to busy caught up in our hussle and bussle lives to instill these in our children. 

... I was only spending on average 2 hrs a day with my kids. 

... I personnaly am taking back my children and am teaching them respect and raising morals.   

Lord, be with those involved in this latest catashrophe.......

This is where the problem starts, too many kids growing up without guidance. Delinquent dads; mothers who either work or party all the time, no one home with the kids but the TV or video games to lead and guide them during the formative years.

You are among the minority, you know your kids better than most parents. I am glad you have decided to reinforce the solid relationship you have.

• tractorgarden said thank you