Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Taft Highschool Shooting

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,446 Thanks
  • 3,993 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 02:27 PM

Have you heard of this http://www.huffingto..._n_2449261.html

saw it just in TV

#2 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,317 Thanks
  • 4,664 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 03:43 PM

Prayers are sent to the families and folks involved in this latest school tragedy..  Luckily it isn't many this time.

Seems that the media pumping the awful shooting news all over the place seems to be just encouraging more folks to do it more.  How much news are we hearing about the soldiers we have overseas?  

If they would not celebratize the sick individuals that do those awful deeds it may decrease the 'attractiveness' to them?  Why can't they just 'off themselves' in their basements?  Why take someone else with you??  Senseless!

As someone who listened to NY's Governor Cuomo blast away about banning assault rifles in his state-of-the state address last night instead of addressing the real problems facing the state like budget management for instance..    Politicians and the media are great at diverting our attention away from real problems that they are elected to address..   

Sorry but I had to vent a bit...

• AcreFarm, dstaggs, nra1ifer and 6 others have said thanks

#3 Sam OFFLINE  

Sam

• Contributor
  • Member No: 255
  • 71 Thanks
  • 174 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 04:11 PM

Think its time to arm your teachers, i understand not all will want to carry guns but if you have a few per school it may deter at least some of the nutters, they wont know who is carrying and who isnt so might think twice ?

• tractorman604, tractorgarden and Amigatec have said thanks

#4 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 04:29 PM

Hardly Surprizing! When the Media gives the insane so much press and Notoriety, it only stands to reason the insane are going to try to top it!

• dstaggs, nra1ifer, tractorman604 and 4 others have said thanks

#5 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 04:31 PM

Think its time to arm your teachers, i understand not all will want to carry guns but if you have a few per school it may deter at least some of the nutters, they wont know who is carrying and who isnt so might think twice ?

I heard last night that the president sends his children to a school that has 12 armed guards on duty(not counting Secret Service) Yet is skeptical of having guards armed in schools?

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 04:42 PM

I can't see arming teachers as a practical deterrant. Many of them will be inept at using a gun and the crazies will be prepared for them. Better security at the school doors and better training for students and staff would probably be more effective. There is also the chance that a teacher will go off the rails and become a shooter. Best to keep the schools gun free IMO. 

#7 Sam OFFLINE  

Sam

• Contributor
  • 71 Thanks
  • 174 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 04:43 PM

I suppose a lot of that would be due to money, or do you have guards anyway? im not clued up on it but i would imagine USA has a few hundred thousand schools, thats a lot of guards to pay and with it being a recession and all that.....

my theory was the teachers are there and getting paid anyway so yeah fair enough give them a bit extra money a month but you save on 2 or 3 guards wages, the other benefit is the perps wouldnt know who is carrying a gun and who isnt, they would know the guards do and avoid or kill them first, the armed teachers would be incognito.

Of course that would mean all teachers would then be a target but isnt that the case anyway?

#8 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 05:07 PM

There is also the chance that a teacher will go off the rails and become a shooter. 

There is that chance already... If many of the other teachers were able to stop that one crazy person I would feel safer about my kids going to school. Teachers are responsible for our kids, they should be responsible for thier safety... train them, arm them. At LEAST let them train and arm themselves if they choose.

#9 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 05:15 PM

When I was in school the worst thing that happened was the cafateria lunch room fight or the fight behind the gym.  Things have gone crazy and I do thing the media, news, movies, TV and games have all played a part in this.   I would dare say most, if not all schools have teachers, employee's who hunt or were vet's and are very familiar with guns and gun safety.  If they are willing, knowing the risks, I say let them carry a weapon in school.  As Sam said then the Perps won't know who or how many are armed.  With armed guards they will be the first ones shot any movie will tell you that.

• tractorgarden said thank you

#10 ggsteve OFFLINE  

ggsteve

• Member No: 4164
  • 142 Thanks
  • 253 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 05:25 PM

1) This is not a media problem, it is a GUN problem.

2) Do you really think our President wants to send his kids to an armed fortress for school?  He has to because of all the GUNS.

3) There were armed officers at Columbine, they couldn't stop it.  All you can do is limit the damage.

Ban sales of large capacity magazines and regulate EVERY gun and ammunition sale.

Edited by Cat385B, January 11, 2013 - 08:36 AM.

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#11 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,317 Thanks
  • 4,664 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 05:41 PM

Hmmmm..

Attached Thumbnails

• 524841_10200187793327788_1075088590_n.jpg

• AcreFarm, tractorgarden, LTD and 1 other said thanks

#12 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 06:15 PM

You can ban all you want, pass all the laws you want.....people will still go off the deep end & kill others.  Before the Oklahoma bombing, I never had a clue 2 things I use all the time, diesel fuel & ammonium nitrate, could cause such devastation.  Anyone can also take small std clips, and put more than one together with relative ease to make a large capacity clip.  Most people wanting to do harm can get a gun, or even make a simple one.  The lawless don't care about laws & will get around them.  For that reason, I have no problem for qualified teachers to carry.

Most of the school shootings in my opinion are at least in a large extent due to weak minded kids growing up playing violent video games.  The games make it seem glorified to spill blood, and the more the better.  TV shows are no better. Kids just spend too much time in front of a TV or game system screen.  Start with the kids from a young age, and things can get better.  Spend more time with your kids, and encourage others to do so.  

• dstaggs, nra1ifer, daytime dave and 8 others have said thanks

#13 jusjeepn OFFLINE  

jusjeepn

• Member No: 2392
  • 84 Thanks
  • 120 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 06:20 PM

Huh.....  I didn't know guns could load themselves and shoot themselves.  Statistics prove that more homicides are committed with knives and blunt objects than any type of firearm.  Guns are not the problem and people who think they are are sadly misinformed.  Our major problem is society and the values instilled at young ages.  Some people blame violent video games, some violent cartoons, still others violent movies.  None of these are to blame.   We, as parents, have to instill morals and respect for life and teach our children that thi sis not the way to get things done.  Unfortunately most adults are to busy caught up in our hussle and bussle lives to instill these in our children.  

I recently became a member of the growing number of unemployed.  This has allowed me to reflect on how much time I spend with my children instilling these things into them.  I personally thought I was a great Dad until I stepped back and looked at how my children have been raised and who actually has had the infuence on their young lives.  It hasn't been me.   Between spending 60+ hours a week at work or traveling to work and spending an average of 20hrs a week (which is only 1.5 hous a day) in the shop, I was only spending on average 2 hrs a day with my kids.  Figure it up..... I'm sure alot of you are the same way.  I'm not being condescending towards anyone.  This is what our society today demands of us.

I don't have the answers or even all the questions.  I just know my kids have not had the majority of their morals instilled by me.     Friends?  T.V.?  Video games?  They are getting these ideas somewhere that.  Don't get me wrong, I have great kids, but I don't know them like I should.    I personnaly am taking back my children and am teaching them respect and raising morals.   

A gun is a tool just like a screwdriver.  Do you use a screwdriver to kill a deer to put meat in your freezer?  I don't!   Most of the people who blame guns ( or knives or whatever) do not want to put the blame where blame is due.  If they did, this world would be a much better place to live.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

Lord, be with those involved in this latest catashrophe.......

Edited by jusjeepn, January 10, 2013 - 06:21 PM.

• nra1ifer, tractorman604, tractorgarden and 5 others have said thanks

#14 Sam OFFLINE  

Sam

• Contributor
  • 71 Thanks
  • 174 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 06:59 PM

Guns are banned here, there are exceptions of course, farmers shotguns, hunters rifles etc but they are extremely vetted and certified, you can pretty much forget automatic weapons or handguns, if you get into trouble with the law you have pretty much lost your licence.

I would say here there are usually 30 or so firearm related deaths a year from those banned guns, being shot is not really something i would worry about, im too busy worrying about getting stabbed with a knife, sword or whatever, carrying a knife in public is also illegal..has to be below 3 inches and unlockable blade, the problem is all the thugs and crims carry them, they dont care.. so as you can imagine, i as a law abiding citizen am pretty much defenceless if i am out and about, those big bad men have all the weapons but im not allowed any,  if someone holds a knife to my face wanting my wallet..he gets my wallet, my fake one of course.

Guns are banned but they are still out there, im less likely to be shot yes.. but more likely to get a broken bottle in my face or knife in my chest.

Point is, as mentioned..a murderer is a murderer and whether its a gun or a sword or a cricket bat hes still going to try get someone.

• tractorgarden, HowardsMF155, chris m and 2 others have said thanks

#15 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,317 Thanks
  • 983 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 07:08 PM

My opinion is there are a very, very few kids or young adults who get into the violent video games and lose the line between the game and reality. Understand I'm saying a very small percentage, but it only takes one if that one only represents .000001%. So if true how do parents,schools or health professionals spot this one??

Mike.

• LTD and PappyH have said thanks