UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 10:10 PM

I don't take my batteries to a scrap yard I sell them to a company that recycles them. The scrap yards pay about $5 each the recycler pays about $13. 

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#17 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,750 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 10:14 PM

Glad you got some $ Daniel, sorry to hear you don't feel well..

Hey, I have a suggestion, how about editing the title of this thread to be "The Adventures of My New Pitchfork"

Or, 'What to do with stuff that won't go through the sh*t spreader'.

#18 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 11:08 PM

Hope you're feeling better real soon Daniel.  I haul off my junk too.  Problem is that now and then the wife wants me to haul off the good stuff I have stacked by the shop.  She can't see how you can fabricate a cretisrobin or whatchamacallit from a stack of steel.

#19 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 12:16 AM

Glad you got some $ Daniel, sorry to hear you don't feel well..

Hey, I have a suggestion, how about editing the title of this thread to be "The Adventures of My New Pitchfork"

I think the new title should be "How Baby Got a New Pair of Shoes" 

#20 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 569 Thanks
  • 631 posts

Posted January 12, 2013 - 08:27 PM

Seems to me, with prices of big truck parts now days that the Profits went into the brake job?  OR, did you just add pads and not a rotor or turning?   Many times dump runs end up with tires being poked and have that cost afterward!  My local yard never buys for prices I hear on here and othr sources.  But, not going the 25 mile long run to the Big City just for scrapping!  Some old timers in area that is all they did for living. Couple even worked at the scrap yard too!  Guess some can live with LOW standards?

Just what do you mean live with low standards? Are you referring to us workers or are regulars that we call junkers that work there ass off every day to put food on the table for there family ? This is where I work along my oldest son and two brothers my dad worked here until he retired. hitchcockscrapyard.com The third picture on home page is the high cab I run my son runs one of the rubber tired material handlers.Like they say a man gotta do what a man gotta do .I may not be rich I own my home have no car payments so I'd say I'm doing alright.

• tractorgarden and Team_Green have said thanks

#21 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 12, 2013 - 09:27 PM

Seems to me, with prices of big truck parts now days that the Profits went into the brake job?  OR, did you just add pads and not a rotor or turning?   Many times dump runs end up with tires being poked and have that cost afterward!  My local yard never buys for prices I hear on here and othr sources.  But, not going the 25 mile long run to the Big City just for scrapping!  Some old timers in area that is all they did for living. Couple even worked at the scrap yard too!  Guess some can live with LOW standards?

The needed brake job had nothing to do with the scrap hauling.  I take 2, sometimes 3 loads per year to the yard.  The truck hauls dozens of trips a year with a cattle trailer, many loads of fertilize, and many, many loads of various natures.  When I go the the scrap yard, I don't see low standards at all....I see money, and HUGE piles of it!

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#22 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted January 12, 2013 - 10:01 PM

HUge piles of money is what I see too. My standard of living may not be opulent and my mother in law hates it, but I could care less. What I have is mine - not the banks.

• olcowhand, Texas Deere and Horse, tractorgarden and 2 others have said thanks

#23 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted January 13, 2013 - 08:37 AM

HUge piles of money is what I see too. My standard of living may not be opulent and my mother in law hates it, but I could care less. What I have is mine - not the banks.

Amen, Bro.

#24 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted January 13, 2013 - 08:48 AM

I scrap about 2 loads of steel a month. I wait until I have 500 pound lots of copper, brass and any non ferrous metals and take them to the big yards in Tampa. They pay more than the locals.This is yesterdays load. Just under a ton. I've been scrapping all my life.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG0646.jpg

#25 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 12:35 PM

I just cant bring myself to take steel in and bring money home.. Usually the next day i need a piece of steel i had and now need to drive to town to buy it.. So.. The pile just keeps getting bigger here....

#26 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,869 Thanks
  • 3,198 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 02:17 PM

Ditto--- the price of new steel up here is beyond belief. And now we can't even go "shopping at the mall" anymore because they closed the local dump in favour of a maintained dumping ground. We pretty much have to keep any old metal around to scavenge from, or bumm a dead combine, etc. from the "rich" folk to save them the trouble of hauling it away.