#1 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 12:44 PM

Did a search, didn't find anything. I have a B48M 18 Hp Onan which I had to remove from the MF1855 to replace some other things. While out of tractor, I want to replace gasket on the front crank plate which looks to be leaky pretty bad. Anyone know the best way to remove the electric PTO & pulleys from the crank? I see a large bolt/washer in the middle, just wondering if these are pressed on or just a bolt and keyed?

Also, is there anyway I can check the clutch to see if it will work? PO had it disconnected as switch broke and he never replaced. I would like to see if it will work so I can maybe use the deck when I get it back togther.

Thanks

Marty

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,508 Thanks
  • 39,733 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 02:20 PM

I think they are just a snug fit and come off fairly easily. To test, hook one wire to power and one to ground. Should be able to turn the engine over if it is working (no freewheel).

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 02:38 PM

Like Kenny said, remove the bolt at the end of the crank, then the pto clutch should pull off fairly easily.  If you must, use a jaw puller & it should pull of with a hand wrench with very little effort.  Then the electromagnet simply bolts on.

Not sure on your particular unit, but some pto have 2 wires, of which one is the ground, and the other is the hot wire. On these type, you can connect 12VDC in either polarity to test.  If a single wire, it is positive like Kenny said, and the body is the ground.

#4 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 04:07 PM

Thanks. It looks like a 2 wire. Pulleys spin freely so I know it's not locked in the engaged position and PO ran it with belts conneted to lower drivershaft pulleys, belts were froze to lower pulleys they hadn't turned in so long.