• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Humey222 OFFLINE  

Humey222
  • Member No: 9183
  • 35 Thanks
  • 76 posts

Posted January 09, 2013 - 11:48 PM

Does anyone have any idea how to remove the paint thats on the engine I.D. plate? I think the previous owner sprayed right over it. I'd really like to get the paint off without any harm to the writting on the I.D. plate. Thanks very much.   Parry

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 12:35 AM

What kind of tag is it and what brand it is?

#3 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,317 Thanks
  • 983 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 07:02 AM

If it's stamped I'd try acetone or laquer thinner and some patience.

Mike

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,465 Thanks
  • 39,697 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 07:38 AM

Watch what you use to remove the spray paint. I can take everything off. Troy had the best way I have seen in this thread, but the pics have disappeared. We are working on getting them back!

• Humey222 said thank you

#5 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 02:58 PM

Watch what you use to remove the spray paint. I can take everything off. Troy had the best way I have seen in this thread, but the pics have disappeared. We are working on getting them back!

Sorry guys, not sure what happened to the pictures, but I went back in and have them all uploaded and posted again.

Edited by johndeereelfman, January 10, 2013 - 07:44 PM.

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#6 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 07:40 PM

Parry,

As far as your question, I'm not exactly sure which type of ID plate you're talking about. If you mean the tractor's serial number plate, then read my "Serial Plate Restoration" thread.

If you're referring to the motor ID tag, then I wouldn't try to remove the overspray. The engine spec tags are print on top of the aluminum, and can be removed very easily. I've tried different approaches to try and clean them up, and have had no luck. Each tag I did ended up removing more of the print or lettering, and it turned out worse than if I just would have left it alone. Sorry I can't give you advice on cleaning it up, but I will suggest trying to have it duplicated in a decal. If you can, find another engine tag or maybe borrow one from somebody, so that you can go to a decal company and check on getting it reproduced. This way you cut out the block on the decal that holds the spec number, and just apply it over top of your original tag. Most tags had the spec number punched onto the aluminum, and most decal companies won't want to try and copy it, so they'll just give you a blank box. Sorry, but this is the only thing I can think of to suggest to you. Good Luck!

Troy

Edited by johndeereelfman, January 10, 2013 - 07:43 PM.

• tractorgarden said thank you

#7 Humey222 OFFLINE  

Humey222
  • 35 Thanks
  • 76 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 11:26 PM

Thank you very much for the link to the tread! I'm very impressed with how Troy does it! I'm trying to take alot of pride in restoring my Gibson model D and i want as much of it to be just right as i can.  Parry

#8 Humey222 OFFLINE  

Humey222
  • 35 Thanks
  • 76 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 09:58 PM

Parry,

As far as your question, I'm not exactly sure which type of ID plate you're talking about. If you mean the tractor's serial number plate, then read my "Serial Plate Restoration" thread.

If you're referring to the motor ID tag, then I wouldn't try to remove the overspray. The engine spec tags are print on top of the aluminum, and can be removed very easily. I've tried different approaches to try and clean them up, and have had no luck. Each tag I did ended up removing more of the print or lettering, and it turned out worse than if I just would have left it alone. Sorry I can't give you advice on cleaning it up, but I will suggest trying to have it duplicated in a decal. If you can, find another engine tag or maybe borrow one from somebody, so that you can go to a decal company and check on getting it reproduced. This way you cut out the block on the decal that holds the spec number, and just apply it over top of your original tag. Most tags had the spec number punched onto the aluminum, and most decal companies won't want to try and copy it, so they'll just give you a blank box. Sorry, but this is the only thing I can think of to suggest to you. Good Luck!

Troy

Hi Troy, I sent you an email to your home email address last night; not sure if you got it. There should be 2 pics with it.  Parry

• johndeereelfman said thank you

#9 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted January 12, 2013 - 01:08 PM

Parry,

I did receive your email, and unfortunately, it is the motor spec plate. Not sure I can help you out on this one. I'd say to try and find another good tag, or at least find someone who has a good tag, and see if they will let you borrow it so you can check on getting a decal made. Sorry Buddy, I wish I could give you more help!

Troy

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#10 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted January 12, 2013 - 02:28 PM

Parry,

I did receive your email, and unfortunately, it is the motor spec plate. Not sure I can help you out on this one. I'd say to try and find another good tag, or at least find someone who has a good tag, and see if they will let you borrow it so you can check on getting a decal made. Sorry Buddy, I wish I could give you more help!

Troy

Troy what engine is this off ? and can you put up a picture of it?

#11 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 11:45 AM

Troy what engine is this off ? and can you put up a picture of it?

Ok, I tried to upload the picture, and it isn't working. Parry sent me a picture through email as an attachment, and I saved the attachment in my files. So when I try to upload to here, all I get is the link but no picture.

Anyway Chris, I believe the motor is a Wisconsin engine. The tag is completely covered in the gray paint, and seems to be thick. Most of the engine tags had the wording "printed" on the plate, and I believe this one will too, as the only indentation I see on his plate is the serial number. I just don't want to take a chance on ruinning the tag for him. I haven't had any luck removing any type of paint from these tags without doing some kind of harm to the lettering. I really feel bad for not being able to help.

Parry, if you read this post again, can you please upload the picture here so that the guys can see what you have? Maybe one of them will be able to come up with a solution for you.

Edited by johndeereelfman, January 13, 2013 - 11:45 AM.

• chris m said thank you

#12 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,396 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 11:49 AM

Don't know what brand he used, but an old sign painter around here used oven cleaner to remove outer layers of paint.  ~~  Lowell

#13 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 02:05 PM

Ok, I tried to upload the picture, and it isn't working. Parry sent me a picture through email as an attachment, and I saved the attachment in my files. So when I try to upload to here, all I get is the link but no picture.

Anyway Chris, I believe the motor is a Wisconsin engine. The tag is completely covered in the gray paint, and seems to be thick. Most of the engine tags had the wording "printed" on the plate, and I believe this one will too, as the only indentation I see on his plate is the serial number. I just don't want to take a chance on ruinning the tag for him. I haven't had any luck removing any type of paint from these tags without doing some kind of harm to the lettering. I really feel bad for not being able to help.

Parry, if you read this post again, can you please upload the picture here so that the guys can see what you have? Maybe one of them will be able to come up with a solution for you.

I was just curios to see what engine tag. in case I had one around here. And as far as the paint removal I totally trust your judgment on this! I would experiment on my own tags but not on someone else's.

#14 Humey222 OFFLINE  

Humey222
  • 35 Thanks
  • 76 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 02:37 PM

Here is the 2 pics that i have of it so far. I'm gonna try to get 1 or 2 more that might show a better picture. I hope the pics come up here. Thans very much to everyone for the help so far!!!   Parry

Attached Thumbnails

• 007.JPG
  • 038.JPG

#15 Humey222 OFFLINE  

Humey222
  • 35 Thanks
  • 76 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 02:38 PM

I was just curios to see what engine tag. in case I had one around here. And as far as the paint removal I totally trust your judgment on this! I would experiment on my own tags but not on someone else's.

Yes its a Wisconsin AEH 6hp, 1947 if that helps