#1 NYMalloys OFFLINE  

NYMalloys

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 126
  • 28 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted January 09, 2013 - 10:15 PM

Hi, I have been offered the above named tractor for $5,000.  It has about 800 hours on it. Mid to Late '80's with 4x4 manual transmission. It's not my dream tractor, it has turf instead of Ag tires, no power steering, and I'm pretty sure MF1010's don't have a live PTO, however the dream tractors usually price out used at, at least $12,000.  So, is it worth it?  If I turned it around in a year or so, would I take a bath or would it likely hold it's value at this point (assuming it's not overvalued at $5,000).  I would typically be using the loader, but would like to be able to mount a 3 pt snowthrower. If the PTO isn't live, is this even an reasonable option?  Currently for snow plowing and field work, I use an old Farmall Cub, so obviously this would be a step into modern times, what with a 3 point hitch, a PTO that turns at 540 rpm and in the proper direction and 60% more horsepower, not to mention the loader. Let me know if you think it's a reasonable price for the tractor and if the PTO would be a hindrance. (The Cub's PTO is not live and I grew tired of using it for field mowing because of that.)  Thanks in advance. Terrence

Edited by NYMalloys, January 09, 2013 - 10:16 PM.

#2 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 09, 2013 - 10:42 PM

The price is not out of line (especially with a loader) and 800 hrs is not much at all when you consider the age of the tractor.
My Ford is not Live PTO, and while I would say live PTO would be a very useful feature. I have learned to work with the transmittion pto. So if it seems to be well maintained and you want it I would not pass it up based on that.
  • NYMalloys said thank you

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 11:28 AM

Those are a nice tractor and 800 hrs is low for the year.  Heres a link to the tractor data page with a list of Ser. nos so you can identify the exact year. http://www.tractorda...guson-1010.html

That price seems good to me but it's a different market here. If you keep it for a year or 2 it won't depreciate much. It's still worth roughly half it's new price after 20+ years! It would also make a good trade in if you find something better at a dealership.

#4 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 02:15 PM

In North Carolina area, basic 1010 models get advertised between 3500 and 4500.  That is usually just 2 wheel drive though.  5000 doesn't seem way out of line for 4wd + loader, but hey,lower is always better!

#5 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 02:35 PM

Whenever I am interested in a tractor or implements I first check Tractor Data.com (for Specs) like Brian linked above.

Then  go to tractor house(it's also an interesting way to kill time) and see whats selling around the country(sometimes internationally) and the price range.

They will not replace on site examination of any equipment but give you a ball park figure.

I did that last night before I commented. As Howard said the 4x4 in that model is not as common and with a loader the price is in the ballpark.

http://www.tractorhouse.com/

Maybe Dainel will comment I know he has and uses a 1010.

You mentioned the lack of power steering, My ford does not have power steering either, but I have yet to miss it. These tractors are light enough around 2000 lbs, that I've found the steering light. With even a 6 ft Rhino blade on the 3 point of my  it feels like power steering.

Edited by JD DANNELS, January 10, 2013 - 02:40 PM.

#6 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 02:47 PM

The MF1010 with hydrostatic trans do have independent pto, so they don't shut the pto down when you push the clutch like the manual trans models do.  

That sounds like a great price never the less.  The engines are stout for 16hp, and hold up well.  Very cold natured though, so I put in a block heater in mine.  

I got my 2WD for $2375 with around 1,000hrs on it. ...no loader, and that was a good deal in my book.  I have heard of the ones with loaders sometimes (but rarely) break the tractors in the middle, at the aluminum trans housing just behind the clutch, so do examine this area closely for cracks.

#7 NYMalloys OFFLINE  

NYMalloys

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 126
  • 28 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 08:58 PM

I want to thank all of you for your insights. I decided to buy it. The price with the loader seemed to be about right and I didn't want it to slip away. I will need to build a ballast box before I can really use the loader, the original owner wanted to keep the one he had made for his new tractor. The 1010 is in nice shape (I checked the transmission mounting plates for cracks), the loader wasn't purchased when the tractor was, so the used one he found had seen more weather than his tractor did. I have a backlog of paint projects already, so I don't see them matching any time soon.  I'm going to ask around town about snowthrowing without a live PTO, if its not an option, I'll hunt around for a back blade. Again thanks, Terrence

Attached Thumbnails

• 1010wLoader.JPG
  • 1014Loader.JPG

#8 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 09:03 PM

Is there a front mounted snow blower for these?  If so, they make front pto for these which is run off the front of the engine via electric pto clutch, so will run full time regardless of the drive clutch.

#9 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 09:11 PM

NYMalloys, Glad you moved on the tractor.  I'm always happy to see another person getting to enjoy a fine Massey product.

#10 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 09:43 PM

Congratulations on the purchase of your tractor! When I was looking for a tractor the nearest 1010 I could find was 180 miles away. I think your going to like it.
The Ford I found was 70 miles away, so i went with it.

Edited by JD DANNELS, January 10, 2013 - 09:45 PM.

#11 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 06:33 AM

The new tractor looks good. Those loaders look really heavy duty! You might consider casting a weight in concrete for ballast rather than building a steel ballast box. I find i rarely adjust the weight in mine so it would work just as well for me with a fixed weight which is cheaper and easier to fabricate.

#12 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 06:43 AM

Nice looking tractor! Glad you got it!

#13 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 06:52 AM

Congrats on getting the 1010.They are great tractors.

#14 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,289 Thanks
  • 28,623 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 08:08 AM

Nice new ride, looks like a very capable machine.

#15 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 08:39 AM

I like this outfit!  That loader sure is built stout.  Put some ag tires on it & there's nowhere it wouldn't go....almost.