Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

* * * * - 1 votes

Vote Now For Featured Tractor Of The Month Of February 2013

voting featured tractor

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
56 replies to this topic

Poll: Vote now for featured tractor of the month of February 2013 (118 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote now for featured tractor of the month of February 2013

1. Voted C.F. Struck Mini Dozer - boostedbuick (22 votes [18.64%])

Percentage of vote: 18.64%

2. Economy Power King - powerking56 (4 votes [3.39%])

Percentage of vote: 3.39%

3. Bolens Super Versa Matic - Bolens 1000 (19 votes [16.10%])

Percentage of vote: 16.10%

4. Sears FF20 - KennyP (6 votes [5.08%])

Percentage of vote: 5.08%

5. AMF 1014 - broken2 (16 votes [13.56%])

Percentage of vote: 13.56%

6. Wheel Horse Electra 12 - farmerall (3 votes [2.54%])

Percentage of vote: 2.54%

7. Choremaster Walk Behind - tractorman604 (3 votes [2.54%])

Percentage of vote: 2.54%

8. David Bradley Tri-Trac - Alc (22 votes [18.64%])

Percentage of vote: 18.64%

9. Bush Hog D4-12 - Texas Deere & Horse (7 votes [5.93%])

Percentage of vote: 5.93%

10. Allis Chalmers Homesteader - Canawler (16 votes [13.56%])

Percentage of vote: 13.56%

#1 powerking56 OFFLINE  

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted January 02, 2013 - 11:26 AM

I will nominate my 1970 Economy Power King tractor.  It is a model 2414 and is about as original as you can get.

I knew about it for a few years before I was able to buy it, it belonged to the family of our son's baby sitter, at the time they weren't sure what they were going to do with it and several people had asked for first refusal, When the second guy never showed with cash I was given the chance and with the wife's blessing grabbed it.  It was bought from the son of the original owner, had been well used but well loved and taken care of.

It came with quite a few accessories including a full set of wheel weights, chains, mowing deck, snow plow, land plow, cultivator set with hillers, and a set of discs with weight box, all PK accessories.  It has the dual tramsmission set up, hydraulic lift and headlights.  At the time I bought it I was more of an engine guy, but wanted a tractor for shows and did not have the room or means to move a "big" tractor.  This one now resides at the in'laws house and is used to move my hauling trailer around the tight yard and pulls the small trailer around to move wood, and to move the splitter around as well as skid a few firewood logs as needed.  I usually take it to a couple of the engine shows I go to each year and it makes for a great conversation starter and butt buggy to ride around the shows. 

As I bought it, barn stored.

At last years Dublin, NH show

First show it ever went to.

Putting it to work moving wood

Lisbon October 2011 003.JPG

• olcowhand, AcreFarm, mjodrey and 7 others have said thanks

#2 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,469 Thanks
  • 17,093 posts

Posted January 06, 2013 - 11:06 AM

I'm going to nominate my 1955 Bolens Super Versa-Matic

I've owned this tractor for close to 2 years now. I was doing my daily ebay search when I saw this tractor listed for sale with 42'' plow/grader blade & snow caster attachment. It was only about a 30 minute drive from me so I placed a bid in at the last second and won it!.

I found out when I got there that the tractor only had one owner throughout its life and maintained a small piece of land near the city in which the previous owner cleared his driveway and plowed his garden. The tractor was always garage kept and well taken care of. The oil was like new when I brought it home. When I brought it home I cleaned the carb and the old Kohler K90 fired right up!.

The original recoil that came with the tractor was broken down and in need of some repair. GTT member Bruce Dorsi was kind enough to go out of his way and repair the schanacke recoil for me and it works good as new! Thanks Bruce! :D

Since the tractor was kept out of the elements the paint is in exceptional condition for its age. The original attachments that were purchased with the tractor are in great shape as well!

I mainly use this tractor to take to shows since it is in such good shape but occasionally I will clear the driveway or cultivate the garden with it :D

Attached Thumbnails

• 850 and versa matic pics 009.JPG
  • 850 and versa matic pics 010.JPG
  • 850 and versa matic pics 011.JPG
  • key 003.JPG
  • Versa matic (7).JPG

• olcowhand, AcreFarm, mjodrey and 6 others have said thanks

#3 KennyP OFFLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,656 Thanks
  • 39,023 posts

Posted January 06, 2013 - 12:58 PM

I'm going to nominate my 1981 Sears FF20 for this month. I had someone e-mail me a CL listing for this tractor. It was listed as a White, but as soon as I saw the pic, I was in love. I called the PO right then and set up to go look at it the next day as the tractor was 1-1/2 hours from me. Got up the next morning and hooked the trailer to the Dodge and away I went. Found his house with little problem. As I followed him around to the shed, I saw the FF20 sitting there. I started it and drove it around, struck a deal and loaded up to come home. Got a early Sears 3-point and 8" 3-point plow in with the deal.

Though the stripe around the hood is black instead of orange and nearly all decals have been removed, this tractor is very nearly as it came.

The PO before this fellow had built the push blade, using a Gravely blade. He made the mount go all the way to the back axle mounts and used the mower deck lift for it.The hour meter wasn't hooked up, but it showed 1315 hrs. There are probably many more, who knows.

I have changed out the tranny fluid and filter, thus far. Also put in a new axle seal. Fixed a wiring issue at the regulator/rectifier. There is a lot more that needs work, back wheels are rusted through, missing the depth control knob, decals, PTO clutch, among other things. This will all be addressed this Spring when I take it apart for new paint and a much needed cleaning.

This is the first tractor I have gotten with a great seat, but I'd have gotten it anyway. I've drooled over these since I first saw a pic of one. Here it is:

Image030.jpg     Image009.jpg

Image031.jpg     Image013a.jpg

Image014.jpg     Image007.jpg

As of now, it has the factory sleeve hitch, but it will not take much to put a 3-point back on it. Just the 2 lower arms and a center link. All easily made/bought. I'm very happy I got this tough old tractor and will treat it with care.

#4 broken2 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 85
  • 279 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted January 06, 2013 - 01:05 PM

I would like to nominate my AMF 1014. I bought this tractor at an estate auction in Marion NY in March 2011. I don't know the year it was built but I assume it was between 1972 and 1976. The tractor is in great original condition. It came with the original tires and mower deck mounted and in great shape. Even the original seat is free of rips/damage. With a good carb and fuel pump cleaning it came to life and runs great.

Since I've owned the AMF I've used it for many tasks, all my tractors earn their keep but I do admit I baby this one a bit. I have used it for cutting the lawn, rototilling, pulling trailers, and pulling a self powered bush hog field mower. The purpose I most wanted the AMF for was to take it to plow days. In order to be able to plow with it I have replaced the rear tires (I have kept the originals safe) with Carlisle tru-power ags and custom made a sleeve hitch for it. The sleeve hitch uses the tractors original hydraulic lift. The hitch can be removed with four bolts and a clip, the tractor is unaltered, once removed you would never know the hitch had been there.

So far I have only made it to one plow day with the 1014, the 2012 W.N.Y. spring plow day. The AMF performed perfectly and I can't wait for the next plow day, hopefully I'll be plowing with it at PA Plow Day this spring.

DSC02215.JPG DSC02216.JPG DSC02545.JPG DSC02546.JPG DSC02547.JPG DSC02548.JPG DSC02549.JPG DSC02537.JPG

• olcowhand, AcreFarm, mjodrey and 8 others have said thanks

#5 tractorman604 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 683
  • 269 Thanks
  • 694 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 08:28 AM

I would like to nominate my 1947 choremaster one wheel walk behind tractor. I got this from a guy that used to use it years back.When i saw it i think i just had to have it and i have had alot of fun since with it . when i brought it home i had trouble getting the 1/1/2 hp briggs and stratton to start, but after changing the oil and a few new gaskets and seals and a good carburetor clean she looked up at me and fired up. I also had to change the original throttle cable and am trying to free it up by soaking it as i would like to put it back on.I also have the original sickle mower and a cultivator that i use on it The seat is only there [homemade] because i like to drive it down to the coffee shop for some good tractor conversation. I really like when the oldtimers look at it and take me years back and tell me about the equipment they had and still have, At 1/1/2 hp it doesen't go fast so i ushually  leave at breakfast and get there about supper time [just kidding] It takes about 5 minuates. Anyway i love this old choremaster, and it will be another treasure to me that will never see a scrap yard

#6 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,461 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 09, 2013 - 03:13 PM

I am going to throw my Bush Hog D4-12 into this months competition.

I bought this tractor from a guy up in Iowa, just above the Missouri line. He had told me that it ran and he had gone through the trans axle, replacing seals and bearings. I worked out the deal and went to pick it up . I was very surprised to start it up and drive into the back of my truck. It needs to be restored and is missing the manual mid lift and also the rear PTO. Daniel, "olcowhand" said he would help me find the parts I need and make the decals for it.

Bush Hog built this tractor as a fill gap between their 10HP D4-10 and their new Javelina I, 12HP and Javelina II 14HP models in 1970. The D4-12 was a D4-10 with a 12HP, either Wisconsin or Tecumseh engine, depending on what Bush Hog had in stock. The transmission in the Bush Hogs are a little different, they use a 2 speed with reverse and have a high and low side in the gear box using a sliding gear cluster, giving you 4 speeds forward and 2 reverses. Let me tell you, 4th gear  will set your ears back, it's the fastest GT I have ever driven. My D4-12 came with a HH120 Tecumseh. Best we can tell, the D4-12 was only built 1 or possibly 2 years. This may be the first one built, there is a lot of talk about the serial numbers starting at 101. I have only seen or heard of one other and it's owned by member "Titus" here on GTtalk.  

• olcowhand, AcreFarm, tractorman604 and 5 others have said thanks

#7 Canawler OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,880 Thanks
  • 1,744 posts

Posted January 09, 2013 - 08:19 PM

Since this is the month for survivors, I’ll throw my Homesteader into the mix.

It's a 1974 Allis Chalmers Homesteader 8. I wasn't really looking for a smaller tractor like this but when I saw the Craigslist ad it just immediately piqued my interest. I knew absolutely nothing about Simplicity and Allis Chalmers tractors at the time but I just liked the way it looked. It was something along the lines of "Now that's what a tractor is supposed to look like." That night I started doing some homework on the Homesteaders and learned that they were basically a combination of frame and body from various years of Simplicity Broadmoor production. More importantly, I found out they were available with all sorts of attachments including a tiller. I was really looking at CL for a tiller for my 990 as my wife has been interested in putting in a small garden. I got in touch with the seller and discovered that he had just purchased the Homesteader at an estate sale, played with it a little, and then decided it wasn't what he was really after. I still wasn't sold and wasn't even sure I wanted to bother with the drive to check it out unless I could really use it. A little more searching and some incredible timing and I found an ad that just said "Allis Chalmer with tiller." I had a hard time getting the seller to confirm the model but the Homesteader name eventually came up!! Turns out he had a big project it was time to get rid of. He had a complete, running, but rough Homesteader plus a rough, running Broadmoor that he was attempting to combine into one good tractor but got tired of it. Things were falling into place.

I arranged to see the nice Homesteader the next day and loved it. It started right up with no smoke and ran great. It came with wheel weights, chains, front and rear lights, a 36" mower deck, a 42" snow plow, the rare 26" lawn revitalizer (basically a combination power dethatcher and aerator), factory hubcaps, various factory sales brochures, and every, and I mean every receipt for the equipment, parts, or service for the entire life of the tractor. It seems the estate the seller bought it from was the original owner from '74 right through '11. The price was right so it had to come home with me. I called the other guy who had the tiller and arranged to pick it up the following weekend. The tiller ended up coming with the above mentioned tractors plus a good 32" mower deck, body parts for a mid '70s Broadmoor, several extra tires and wheels, and some misc. extra engine electrical parts and wiring harness. The tiller worked but needed some cosmetic work. Within one weeks’ time I ended up with three new tractors and all kinds of attachments.

The Homesteader is a true survivor. The engine is in original condition. The paint still looks great except for a few spots that were damaged at some point by battery acid. Heck, even the mower deck still looks and works good. The snow blade and the revitalizer appear to have hardly been used.

Let me tell you, this little tractor is a blast to use. It gets worked fairly often to cut the grass, it does leaf pickup duty and I've used the tiller several times. I haven't tested the revitalizer or snow plow yet but they're both on my “to do” list. One really unusual feature of the Homesteaders and Broadmoors is that the front axle is welded solid under the frame so it doesn't pivot. There's a pivot point built into the frame just ahead of the transaxle so as you cross bumps in the yard, the whole front frame, dash, and steering wheel twists slightly back and forth. It's a strange sensation but it does result in the deck following the ground contours a bit better than other tractors I've used.

The Homesteader 8s use a vertical crank Briggs engine, 8 hp obviously, and have a 3 speed Simplicity transaxle that is belt driven with a simple tensioner style clutch.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2011 steamorama 2.jpg
  • 2012 pa plow day.JPG
  • CIMG0055.jpg
  • SAM_1403.JPG
  • SAM_1630.JPG
  • 2012 steamorama.JPG

• AcreFarm, Texas Deere and Horse, achomesteader and 3 others have said thanks

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,248 Thanks
  • 15,613 posts

Posted January 09, 2013 - 09:30 PM

Let the voting begin.

• Huskyfan said thank you

#9 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,137 Thanks
  • 2,269 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 02:05 PM

Great entries guys!  :smiley-score010: I cast my vote but it was a TOUGH choice!  I'm already second guessing myself.  I hope I made the right choice!  :biting_nails:

#10 mjodrey OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 12, 2013 - 06:36 AM

Yes it is tough this month,but I got my vote in as well.

#11 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,405 Thanks
  • 1,324 posts

Posted January 12, 2013 - 06:36 PM

That was a tough choice! Thank you all for making it this way! Everyone of these are great pieces of machinery! :thumbs:

#12 mjodrey OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 14, 2013 - 12:39 PM

30 votes in,and still 17 days left.Maybe we will get over 100 votes this month.

#13 1978murray OFFLINE  

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted January 16, 2013 - 08:59 AM

such a hard pick this time.  Had to think long and hard but i found one

• Alc said thank you

#14 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 16, 2013 - 09:11 AM

Lots of entries this month and also a huge variety to choose from.

• Alc said thank you

#15 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,294 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted January 16, 2013 - 11:07 AM

Many fine candidates to chose from  :tapping_fingers:

• Alc said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: voting, featured, tractor