• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted January 09, 2013 - 01:34 PM

When were some of the last tube frames built....Like were the G series and the GT series still tube frames ?? and if they were ??  would the attatchments fit the older tube-frames ??   and visa-versa ? 

I'm keeping my eye out for a tube-frame with att. ments... I know from reading this site you all love the1256s.. would love to own one myself..I'm just keeping my eye out for a tube frame to buy in the future.Seems there are more att. out there for them..      

Thanks   Sodi

#2 locoman OFFLINE  

locoman
  • Member No: 19500
  • 7 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted January 09, 2013 - 01:38 PM

I think that all tube frame attachments should fit all tube frames. I found a guide that lists all the attachments for all the bolens tractors. It has a guide in it that tells what attachments are recomended for the different models.not sure if this helps with anything or not.

#3 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1920
  • 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted January 09, 2013 - 02:03 PM

all tube frame attachments interchange and a 1256 is a nice tractor they are hydro... depending on what kind of work you plan on doing you have to be careful because you can burn the trans up. if you want a hydro tube frame there are 1225, 1256, 1257, 1556, h14, and h16 i think thats all the models they offered. im looking for a 1225

#4 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted January 09, 2013 - 02:21 PM

All tube frame Attachments will interchange but you would not run a 38" snow caster on a bolens 600 i have a H14 that the old Tec Blew its mind so i replaced it with a Twin briggs i have a 1256 that's getting a Kubota Diesel engine but yes the 1256 is the best bet as there was Thousands made ! and there simple and Tough ! and the last tube frames built are G11's and H16's they had a special paint Job with green and white decals on the hood and fenders they stopped production in 78-79 ? there is only 6-7 known of g11's still around

Cheers

Ty

#5 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,479 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted January 09, 2013 - 03:13 PM

... and the last tube frames built are G11's and H16's they had a special paint Job with green and white decals on the hood and fenders they stopped production in 78-79 ? there is only 6-7 known of g11's still around

Cheers

Ty

1962 - First year of tube frame production with the model 600

1978 - Last year of production. Models produced were the G11 and the G14.

As for the paint/decals for the G11.  The paint was the same as the earlier G10, but the decals were unique to the G11.  It's usually called the "Rainbow Bolens", but prefer to call mine the "Sunset Bolens", based on the decal colors, and the fact that it was the last 'new' model tube frame introduced.  Here is a pic of some G11s.

100_4361.JPG

As for the paint/decals on the G14, I've heard references to them having the green decals, but no one has ever posted a pic that confirms that.

One thing that the 1978 G11 and H14 had that no other tube frames had was a brake on the PTO.  I'm assuming that it was because of some federal regulation.

I know of at least 6 G11s "in captivity".  Two of them NASCAR3244888 and Cabover362 have vids of theirs on Youtube.  A third one is in the Altoona Pa. area.  His had the front axle fall off of it. I was talking to him about it, but he wanted WAY too much for it.

I own the other three.  I'm sure that there are more 'out there' but they just haven't been found by us collectors.

• MailmAn said thank you

#6 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted January 09, 2013 - 03:28 PM

1962 - First year of tube frame production with the model 600

1978 - Last year of production. Models produced were the G11 and the G14.

As for the paint/decals for the G11.  The paint was the same as the earlier G10, but the decals were unique to the G11.  It's usually called the "Rainbow Bolens", but prefer to call mine the "Sunset Bolens", based on the decal colors, and the fact that it was the last 'new' model tube frame introduced.  Here is a pic of some G11s.

As for the paint/decals on the G14, I've heard references to them having the green decals, but no one has ever posted a pic that confirms that.

One thing that the 1978 G11 and H14 had that no other tube frames had was a brake on the PTO.  I'm assuming that it was because of some federal regulation.

I know of at least 6 G11s "in captivity".  Two of them NASCAR3244888 and Cabover362 have vids of theirs on Youtube.  A third one is in the Altoona Pa. area.  His had the front axle fall off of it. I was talking to him about it, but he wanted WAY too much for it.

I own the other three.  I'm sure that there are more 'out there' but they just haven't been found by us collectors.

And the 7Th one is some where in Ontario !

#7 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,670 Thanks
  • 17,197 posts

Posted January 09, 2013 - 04:46 PM

Generally All attachments will interchange like others have mentioned above.

The only attachments that are model Specific are the early year attachments that went on the 62' 600 and 63' 800 such as the decks/ tillers.

The Tubeframes were made 1962-1978

Here you go:

Some left over H16's were sold new in 1979 with the Green decals and Green body paint to match the new "Green and White" theme for that year.

Attached Thumbnails

• H16 1.jpg
  • H16.jpg

• OldBuzzard, Bruce Dorsi and boyscout862 have said thanks

#8 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 10:18 AM

There is only 6-7 known of g11's still around...

Why so few (or are you just exaggerating on that number)?  How many are estimated that Bolens actually made and/or sold of the G11's?  Did a lot of them just not make it, despite still being durable tube frame tractors, from that era because they were late 1970's and everyone wanted the older 1960's tractors, so a lot of these ended up getting scrapped?

As for the paint/decals for the G11.  The paint was the same as the earlier G10, but the decals were unique to the G11.  It's usually called the "Rainbow Bolens", but prefer to call mine the "Sunset Bolens", based on the decal colors, and the fact that it was the last 'new' model tube frame introduced.

I'm with Old Buzzard though, I do like the "Sunset" decals on the G11's and it was something a bit different. I certainly like it better than the green and white tractors myself. I wouldn't have thought they were "Rainbow Colored" at all since it is just all shades of orange...

A third one is in the Altoona Pa. area.  His had the front axle fall off of it. I was talking to him about it, but he wanted WAY too much for it.

How in the bloody hell did the front axle just "fall off" of his G11? Talk about abuse, must be, since I'd think it would be very difficult to hurt one of these tube frames like that... And how much was too much, may I ask? I know the front axle is broxen off and/or missing, but if they are as rare as you say (only 7-10 at most still surviving), maybe they are worth more money, even for parts? I know most of the parts in a G11 should interghange with any other model tube frame (except for maybe the PTO brake?), but still... Unless maybe he thought the sunset decal was made from real gold or something?

#9 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 01:31 PM

Thanks to all for the replys...   You are all great !!!!!!!! :thumbs:

Did any certain models have the Tecumsa motors...? I read here that they are not the best to have in the bolens.. I know I love the wis. motor in my 1477.. What did most of the G14s have in them..?  I'm looking at several for sale in the 400.00 dollar range.. With deck and blower.. Is that about right ???

Again  THANKS    sodi

#10 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,479 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 02:07 PM

...  Did any certain models have the Tecumsa motors...? ...

Off of the top of my head: 1253, 1257, G12, G14, H14, 1556, H16, and the 1973-75 G10.

Are the Tecs any better or worse than the Wiscs?  I have no opinion one way or the other.  What I do know is there do seem to be a lot of the Tec powered Bolens still running, so that must say something.

#11 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,479 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 02:20 PM

Why so few (or are you just exaggerating on that number)?  How many are estimated that Bolens actually made and/or sold of the G11's?  Did a lot of them just not make it, despite still being durable tube frame tractors, from that era because they were late 1970's and everyone wanted the older 1960's tractors, so a lot of these ended up getting scrapped? [/quote]

I think that the G11 may not have been a big seller because it was only 11 Hp, and it was gear driven.  By 1978 people were wanting more power, and the hydro transmissions were getting popular.  It's also possible the Bolens didn't make all that many of them as well.  However, since Bolens never released production numbers, we will probably never know how many were built.

[quote] How in the bloody hell did the front axle just "fall off" of his G11? Talk about abuse, must be, since I'd think it would be very difficult to hurt one of these tube frames like that... [/quote]

If you abuse a tube frame with the front blade attached long enough, it can happen

And how much was too much, may I ask? I know the front axle is broxen off and/or missing, but if they are as rare as you say (only 7-10 at most still surviving), maybe they are worth more money, even for parts? I know most of the parts in a G11 should interghange with any other model tube frame (except for maybe the PTO brake?), but still... Unless maybe he thought the sunset decal was made from real gold or something?[/quote]

There are probably a lot more than 7-10, they just haven't surfaced.  It wasn't too long ago that they were thought to be just a myth.

I forget the exact amount, but the guy that has/had it is that young guy in PA that is well known for wanting way too much for anything that he has.

Edited by OldBuzzard, January 10, 2013 - 02:27 PM.

• MailmAn said thank you

#12 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 09:14 PM

if you were near NJ theres a nice bolens 1254 with bolens wheel weights, chains and push blade for 285 he would take 250. thats a deal if i had the room it would of been here yesterday

#13 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,744 Thanks
  • 7,517 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 12:41 AM

About twenty years ago I got my first Bolens. It is an H14. The bolts connecting the tubes to the front casting had broken when the guy was mowing the lawn. It sat for years in their yard because it was too heavy for them to move it. When I offered to remove it for them, they threw in a plow, rototiller, and the manuals. The wife was very happy with me for removing the eyesore.

I figured that the back bolts had broken from an impact and the front bolts then flexed so much that they eventually fatigued. I haven't seen another with a front end problem. That had to be a hard impact.

#14 framesteer OFFLINE  

framesteer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11301
  • 330 Thanks
  • 162 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 10:09 PM

My Dad's dealership sold a 1556 tractor to the University of Missouri.  They only used it to mow with a gang reel mower setup.  Two reel mowers were mounted to a frame attached to the front axle.  They cut the grass in front of the wheel treads.  A three-gang reel more frame was mounted to the back axle and finished the mowing path ( probably 6' width total).

when retired this tractor had a very, very loose front axle.  The pivot pin wore on each end, as well as the pivot pin holes in the cast pivot support casting that is bolted to the frame tubes.  The hydro was shot also.  If they had run the tractor and gang mowers much longer, I'm sure front axle pivot support would have broken.

#15 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 10:36 PM

i would like to have one of them 3 gang reel mowers i never seen one besides in the books