• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,718 Thanks
  • 872 posts

Posted January 09, 2013 - 12:22 AM

gentlemen i have been offered a 68 raider, this gt has a positrack rear end, is this commom ? an option? or a mod? as is it limited to 68 or all raiders thanks

Edited by farmer john, January 09, 2013 - 12:58 AM.

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 09, 2013 - 12:27 AM

Wheel Horse didn't offer the "Raider" model until 1968. The only way it could have a Posi-Trac is if someone welded it up or it's malfunctioning.. Does it have 1" or 1 1/8" axles? 3 Speed or 6 speed?

• boyscout862 and farmer john have said thanks

#3 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • 1,718 Thanks
  • 872 posts

Posted January 09, 2013 - 12:55 AM

Sorry my mistake memory is fading ,its a 1968, it is a 6 speed, not sure of the axle size, he is getting rid of his collection and i dont think he played with it, i am going to buy his c160, a 63 round hood(forgot the number) and was considering this raider, he was quite to the point this was a posi track rear end cant remember if he said only raiders or this year had it, he also has a ton of paperwork on wheel horses, engin specs, tractor- engin #, said he would let me copy them  as he is keeping 2-3 wheel horses for around the house

#4 rustyoldjunk ONLINE  

rustyoldjunk

Has anybody seen my coffee ?

• Member No: 325
  • 2,368 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted January 09, 2013 - 02:21 AM

Your Raider has limited slip.Wheel Horse only offered it on a few models,starting in 68,i believe it ran thru 73.I have a 73 model brochure and believe it was still listed in 73.Wheel Horse offered a 4 pinion differential, a 8 pinion differential and a 10 pinion differential.Only the 10 pinion differential was offered with limited slip,it was also considered the weakest of the differentials.The 8 pinion with 1 1/8th axles is considered the strongest.

Edited by rustyoldjunk, January 09, 2013 - 02:22 AM.

• caseguy, Texas Deere and Horse and farmer john have said thanks

#5 rustyoldjunk ONLINE  

rustyoldjunk

• 2,368 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted January 09, 2013 - 02:25 AM

Wheel Horse also offered a spider gear differential too...come to think of it...

• farmer john said thank you

#6 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 09, 2013 - 12:52 PM

Your Raider has limited slip.Wheel Horse only offered it on a few models,starting in 68,i believe it ran thru 73.I have a 73 model brochure and believe it was still listed in 73.Wheel Horse offered a 4 pinion differential, a 8 pinion differential and a 10 pinion differential.Only the 10 pinion differential was offered with limited slip,it was also considered the weakest of the differentials.The 8 pinion with 1 1/8th axles is considered the strongest.

Thanks,I didn't have time to go thru my stuff and get that for him.

#7 rustyoldjunk ONLINE  

rustyoldjunk

• 2,368 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted January 09, 2013 - 01:54 PM

Thanks,I didn't have time to go thru my stuff and get that for him.

I am happy to help when i can.BTW,even though it is considered weaker than the other diffs,i would'nt let that worry me.It is over 40 years old and still going,

#8 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • 1,718 Thanks
  • 872 posts

Posted January 09, 2013 - 07:26 PM

thanks for your opinions and knowledge, i think i will still buy the raider but leave it as a mower considering the weaker rear end, i have a c120, c160, 414-8 as keepers and 4 jd but i am going to sell them. its not like he wants an arm and a leg for it, original paint and deck $300 good running condition

• rustyoldjunk and Texas Deere and Horse have said thanks

#9 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 09, 2013 - 09:54 PM

thanks for your opinions and knowledge, i think i will still buy the raider but leave it as a mower considering the weaker rear end, i have a c120, c160, 414-8 as keepers and 4 jd but i am going to sell them. its not like he wants an arm and a leg for it, original paint and deck $300 good running condition

When people talk about it having the weakest rear-end, we are referring to using it tractor pulling. Under normal loads including ground engaging equipment, they will last for a very long time.$300.00 is a bargain for that tractor/mower, go get it now!!

Good Luck :thumbs:

• rustyoldjunk said thank you