• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 10:05 PM

Well, the 448 got a new starter , and that begat a whole bunch of work.

I was not about to take the whole front end off the machine, just to replace the starter whose aluminum mount had broken in half a while ago,. ejecting the starter right off the motor. It lay there for a couple months, dangling by the positive wire, I was too dismayed too look at it. ( yes, battery promply disconnected )  At Pops117's generous offering, I got a new starter for the 448, and it arrived a few weeks ago via DDelectronics.

A few nights ago, I finally got around to working on the 448, which clearly had a hard life in previos days. This is what I did to the hard starting, poor idling, fuel thirsty wonky son of a gun:

Cut out a section of the tinwork near the Bendix, just to gain access to the bolts. Then , another slice or two through the underbelly of the tinwork to gain more acess for some speedwrenches to unbolt the starter mount. Good thing I can TIG, so the bits can be mended.....

Frozen hands, slice or two on the palm, and the starter was outta there with just a touch of bloodletting. . Took a bit, but I got the new starter back in, but not without having to soldering/ crimping a new conductor eye on that big starter wire. Oh, then had to replace the main  ground wire as well, seeing as the new battery I had for the machine was a different size. Glad I had one on hand that would work that was a good one.

Got the machine fired back up with no problem, but it was running really poorly, and was drooling oil from the TCV oil line to the spool valve. Shut her down, and called it a night. That was Sunday evening.

Monday, a trip to our local Motion Industries shop had no love, they did not have the required 90 degree connector for the hose on hand..... So I went down the road to a Parker store, and they hooked me right up. 38 bucks  later, and I had a new hydraulic hose in hand. Thankfully I got good pricing from spending a mint there this past year...

Got home, had to go pick up Little M from school early ( yucky tummy) and then got back to making things go together after dinnertime. I made the oil line connection to the TCV, ( what a pain) and to the spool valve. Fired up the this  448, and got a facefull of oil from the motor . Seems my breather valve was wonky, and I had the air cleaner off too. It shot the dipstick out and spewed oil for miles ....  I called it a night once again, and headed inside for a well deserved bath. My coveralls are being washed once again as I write tonight. LOL

Tonight, I finally settled down, and got the breather cleaned out, new spark plugs, an oil change, some carb adjustments finished, and some much needed low end tuning done. Timing looks good too.

The 448 now starts on just a tap of the starter, idles at a walking speed, rev's to the sky without spewing oil everywhere, and is once again a great machine to run.

Some pics for your pleasure :-)  Sorry, no pics of my oil covered self from last night, but suffice it to say, I was covered.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC03732.JPG
  • DSC03733.JPG
  • DSC03735.JPG
  • DSC03747.JPG
  • DSC03702.JPG
  • DSC03742.JPG

• boyscout862 and Arti have said thanks

#2 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 10:15 PM

Man what a time all that must have been! Glad you were able to get it all straightened out and running good again.

Good job :thumbs:

I bet there wasn't much oil to drain before changing :D And  I am still trying to figure out why you killed that poor helpless hose with a pencil :bigrofl: :rolling:

#3 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 10:17 PM

Sounds like your hard work has paid off....Good job! 

I've had to change the starter on my 446 a time or two....no easy task.  Luckily I  can pull off that side tin to get to the bolts and then I use 3 different wrenches and turn those starter mounting bolts a little at a time.  Yes, 3 different wrenches.  each is set a little different than the others, and that is how the bolts will turn in or out.  I also changed the motor mount bolt that is in the way there to one that is just long enough to hold the motor foot and not stick up in the way of the lower starter mounting bolt.

Edited by JBBR, January 08, 2013 - 10:18 PM.

• marlboro180 said thank you

#4 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 10:19 PM

Sounds now a fun time. I've been getting things together the last month to do a little work on the 446. Reed valves, de-carbon the heads, adjust valves and completely rewire the tractor is on the list. Might even install the power steering before spring.

Check at Harbor Freight for some "service wenches" they make working on the hoses a little easier.service wrench.jpg

• Alc and Mjoe7 have said thanks

#5 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 10:26 PM

Love to hear another GT enthusiast tell of his trials and triumphs. How about a pic of the tractor....oh and of the tin work you had to cut out. I'm trying to picture what you had to do and I can't wrap my mind around where you had to cut. Glad you didn't do more harm than you did to your hand, clothes, eyes and PRIDE. Thanks for the update.

#6 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 10:31 PM

Love to hear another GT enthusiast tell of his trials and triumphs. How about a pic of the tractor....oh and of the tin work you had to cut out. I'm trying to picture what you had to do and I can't wrap my mind around where you had to cut. Glad you didn't do more harm than you did to your hand, clothes, eyes and PRIDE. Thanks for the update.

3rd picture top row. :D

• Moosetales said thank you

#7 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 11:07 PM

Yeah fun for sure .  Nothing like a 2" deep cut into the meat of the palm ..... Oops!

I will get a pic of the 448 in daylight, rest assured Moosetales.

Thanks for letting me vent a little . :thumbs:

#8 Mjoe7 OFFLINE  

Mjoe7
  • Member No: 9312
  • 172 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted January 09, 2013 - 01:49 AM

He has an Onan powered Case and the starters are a project to replace. You don't have that issue on your Kohler.

• Moosetales said thank you

#9 Mjoe7 OFFLINE  

Mjoe7
  • Member No: 9312
  • 172 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted January 09, 2013 - 01:52 AM

Thanks for the story. I feel better now that I know I'm not the only one that has run into one thing after another. One Case GT I had was so bad I just tore it completely apart and started over.

#10 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted January 09, 2013 - 04:25 AM

Good job getting the 448 back on its feet. My 448 needs some of the same repairs. She should be good for a long time!

#11 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 09, 2013 - 05:07 AM

Sounds like you had some fun with the 448.

#12 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 09, 2013 - 08:58 AM

Great story. That's often the way it seems to go on older tractors. You start out fixing one problem, other problems seem to pile on at that point and it turns into a major project by the time you're through. The good part is all those issues are now dealt with so they can't ambush you later.

#13 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted January 09, 2013 - 08:32 PM

Sounds like a lot of my projects!

Nothing is ever as easy as it should be!

• marlboro180 said thank you

#14 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted January 09, 2013 - 10:33 PM

As some have said, sometimes GT repair is like a senior moment... What was I fixiing first????  second, third, oh wait, the day is shot...

To ya fellas that feel not alone in stuff piling up on a machine, well, glad I could get this out there to ya.

Ahh well, now to mount the plow again, just in case it happens to snow here in S.E.   WI , LOL. going up to 50 ish tomorrow, WTH?

• chris m said thank you