• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Steven N OFFLINE  

Steven N

• Member No: 6832
  • 20 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 07:22 PM

Hey Guys, Been gone for awhile. Nice to see the new topics and pics.

Was a nice day here in central Kentucky today. Got the old two wheeler out with front mount bushhog and chewed up the old tomato vines, corn stalks, etc. That was fun. Wish I had gotten my garden broke in the fall and a cover crop sowed, but since I didn't, this was a fun excuse to play in the sun. May try to hook up a turning plow and turn everything with the DB. Will have to wait on that, looks like rainy weather setting in for awhile now.

All the new seed catalogs coming in makes me want to break ground and get started again.

#2 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,445 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 07:51 PM

Glad to hear you took the DB out for a "workout "  , do you have pictures of you DB with the mower ?  Al

#3 VSTROM803 OFFLINE  

VSTROM803
  • Member No: 10269
  • 369 Thanks
  • 338 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 09:25 PM

Yeah, I'd like to see that cutter in action. I'd love to have one for clearing trails.

#4 Steven N OFFLINE  

Steven N

• 20 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted January 09, 2013 - 06:27 PM

Ok, here's the bushhog and another yard decoration I have. Also a pic of a section of the garden in greener times and one of a section after bushhogging. Sorry about the focus, didn't pay attention when I took it. But the little hog chewes up anything in it's path into mulch. It should rot down well and turn under with no problem. I'm planning on cutting in some trails this spring or summer at  a local historical site. I am in process of converting a small valley into native grasses, wild flowers and trees, the DB should be great for clearing the trails.

Thanks for your comments.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2013-01-09 18.13.15.jpg
  • 2013-01-09 18.12.30.jpg
  • 2013-01-09 18.11.25.jpg
  • 2012-09-09 08.21.25.jpg

• VSTROM803 and Virginia Mike have said thanks

#5 VSTROM803 OFFLINE  

VSTROM803
  • Member No: 10269
  • 369 Thanks
  • 338 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 05:30 AM

I really like that rotary cutter! I'd love to find one of those. You have a nice play ground there.

I hope you're just kidding about the yard art. Looks like a good tractor with the wheel weights and all.

#6 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,445 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 06:37 AM

That mower looks to be a very handy attachment !! Does the blade run the same speed as say a rotary mower would or because it's more for brush slower ? Thanks , Al

#7 Steven N OFFLINE  

Steven N

• 20 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 06:38 PM

The blade is pretty fast but a little slower than a direct shaft rotary mower, I would think. The drive pully on the motor is smaller than the driven pully on the mower. I could calculate the RPM's based on the motor RPM at full throttle, but I never thought to do it. I've had this cutter for over 20 years and used it quite a bit on the farm and around the garden. It is an aggressive little fellow and can take down some good size bushes and small trees.

As for the "yard art", it's in pretty good working order. I picked it up 4 or 5 years ago from a guy that was about to take it to the scrap yard; all I had on me was $14.00 in cash so I offered it and he took it. I haven't done anything with it so far but I picked up a new motor the other day that I was planning on putting on an old 4 wheel mini tractor that I have, but I may put it on this DB and fix it up instead.

Thanks again for your interest.

• Alc and VSTROM803 have said thanks

#8 Steven N OFFLINE  

Steven N

• 20 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted January 30, 2013 - 06:41 PM

Well, I took the little hog over to another garden section yesterday and cleaned up the old vegitation and found some really good turnups that I didn't realize were there. They were mild, sweet and good texture. my Mom enjoyed cooking up a mess of those.