• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 01:24 PM

Dang! I don't think I ever saw one do that before! Maybe they will sell these as Seconds now :D Wonder if they were diesels?

#3 Kurtee OFFLINE  

Kurtee

• Member No: 7561
  • 463 Thanks
  • 415 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 01:37 PM

Ya just can't belly load those trailers. I have seen more than one go down before. At 2700 pounds an engine it has to be diesels, not much gas engine stuff going out in ag today. Looks like an insurance claim to me. Best figure out where the salvage will be sold to bid on the lot, probably need to beef up the garden tractor frame tho. :thumbs:

#4 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,646 Thanks
  • 1,333 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 02:19 PM

We sell trailers like that here where I work. Kind of sad the way some manufactures make their trailers. With the walls being 1/4" thick something had to give. I bet there was a crack or hole in the roof of that thing and no one said anything about it.

#5 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 02:28 PM

This makes me wonder! Of all the trucks I pass or pass me everyday how many have exceeded the engineered stress life and are on the verge of breaking? I wonder why we don't see this more often?

#6 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 02:31 PM

Ya just can't belly load those trailers. I have seen more than one go down before. At 2700 pounds an engine it has to be diesels, not much gas engine stuff going out in ag today. Looks like an insurance claim to me. Best figure out where the salvage will be sold to bid on the lot, probably need to beef up the garden tractor frame tho. :thumbs:

I remember a train derailment near here with several carloads of new cars on it. They all went to salvage and every part had to be destroyed so they would never get on the road even as repair parts.

#7 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 02:46 PM

Oops!

50eb73f375800.preview-620.jpg

#8 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 04:16 PM

One broke down like that in Waco about two months ago.  Caused a mess on I-35 for hours.

#9 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 04:18 PM

Lots of diff quality trailers made for sure. At GM, they will not allow trailers over 10yrs old to be used for delivery or pick-up of parts. They DO check the dates on tags when they come in. Know of some held back and had to transfer to better trailers before allowed in. For awhile we had many Mexican shippers come in with some real Doozies, bad tires and such. Amazing how Fork Truck Drivers can scrape up sides on them when no wear bars are built in and done in short time span. I have seen soft floor spots and sides torn out where they meet floors from forks and popped connectors. Many roofs get holes poked in them from tall racks that are made to just fit into a trailer with little room on sides or tops. The tips are usually just thin alum with braces or fiberglass and easy to tear them up with angled lift or too high when going out to dock that is not real level. BTDT myself when first started on FTK! This sounds like they just put too much in the trailer for safe hauls. Trying to save a Buck and messed up instead!

#10 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,763 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted January 09, 2013 - 02:37 PM

I used to work security at Wix Filters in Gastonia. They were moving machinery across the highway from one plant to another. Truck went over the railroad tracks and broke in half blocking both the road and the track. IT was the fifth trailer that they had broke that year. One collapsed at the loading dock. Seems like they never learned the lesson.