Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Electrical Question

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 01:11 PM

We have been thinking about expanding my shop for a while now and TD&H's thread about his FIL shop kind of tilted the scales.  :D   Well I have been getting prices and I'm thinking about getting a 20 X 21 garage but the easiest and least conflicting place to put it is away from the house about 150' so there is no elect.

What I'm thinking is we have a Generac Gardian 15K Watt's Generator we really aren't doing anything with so I'm thinking about using it to power the shop at least for a while.  I really don't have any heavy duty electrical stuff.  There would be lighting, normal electrical tools Drill, grinders etc, and the compressor which runs off 110.  

Many times I will think something will work and I no more get it done and something comes up an bits me in the ... which I didn't consider so I thought I would throw it out to you guy and see if you think I would be OK.

#2 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 01:21 PM

That would work fine IMO for a temp set up. I've had to run the shop on a 6000 watt when I was without power for a week at a time. So 15kw should do good with the few things you will be using.

Would it be difficult to dig a trench for conduit or UF cable?

• HDWildBill said thank you

#3 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,757 Thanks
  • 8,925 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 01:23 PM

Panel, breakers, conduit, wire, to another building: about $400.

Hired out: about $1,200.

Hitting the switch and lights come on: priceless.

• IamSherwood, HDWildBill, marlboro180 and 1 other said thanks

#4 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted January 08, 2013 - 01:26 PM

the generator will work for a short term fix, but the price of fuel will catch up to the price of time and materials to run the cable pretty quick.

Any neighbors that might object to the sound of the generator running for hours on end for no appearant reason (to them)?

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#5 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 01:27 PM

Eventually I would run power down to the shop but I'm on a limited budget so I have to take it one step at a time.

#6 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 01:30 PM

the generator will work for a short term fix, but the price of fuel will catch up to the price of time and materials to run the cable pretty quick.

Any neighbors that might object to the sound of the generator running for hours on end for no appearant reason (to them)?

I have 6 acres and surrounded by Pulp wood company property.  I don't think the noise will be a factor.  But the gas issue would be and I had thought about that.  Also hauling the gas would be a pain too.

#7 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 01:41 PM

I have 6 acres and surrounded by Pulp wood company property.  I don't think the noise will be a factor.  But the gas issue would be and I had thought about that.  Also hauling the gas would be a pain too.

That's why one of these days I want to build a Wood gas generator (gasifier)

With the amount of times we have been losing power for a week at a time from storms. I seriously want to make one of these so I don't have to worry if I can't get fuel.

#8 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,736 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 02:25 PM

What if you had the power company set another meter? Tell them you need to keep it seperate of the house bill. Maybe they'll run the wire for you.

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,338 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 02:48 PM

What if you had the power company set another meter? Tell them you need to keep it seperate of the house bill. Maybe they'll run the wire for you.

Thats a good idea if he wasn't married... Having an on paper report of what he's spending on A/C will end up damaging the tractor fund. LOL

• HDWildBill and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#10 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted January 08, 2013 - 03:27 PM

We get our power from a coop (mostly rural customers). They will set a "farm meter" free and discount prices for the electricity used

#11 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 03:31 PM

We get our power from a coop (mostly rural customers). They will set a "farm meter" free and discount prices for the electricity used

Lucky you! We get our power from a corrupt Corporation and have high electric bills :boo_hoo:

#12 SearsYellow OFFLINE  

SearsYellow

Mower Extraordinaire

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10530
  • 449 Thanks
  • 562 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 03:56 PM

The only issue I see would be talking over a generator the whole time. Do you plan to run the lights off of drop cords? Are you going to set the breaker box up and hook the generator up to the box?

• HDWildBill said thank you

#13 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,668 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 04:33 PM

First, isn't 20 x 21 an odd size for building?  Materials fit better if in 4ft increments, like 20 x 24 say. AND, it won't be big enough! I would wire just like a standard garage with box and outlets and ceiling lights, make many!  Then run gen to the box main just like a line would be. I do things little by little as money comes avail also. YOU could trench and run wires from house yourself and have hooked up later by electrician.  Make sure your house circuit is big enough to add on another building. I have 200 amp in house and ran a 100 amp feed to garage, whis only about 30 ft for me. I run welder and big presser and wanted 220 for sure. They say if main blows it will still be in house breaker, cause electricity takes shortest route avail at time of overload. I still have 100 main in garage anyway. Never have tripped either. The lines between buildings are usuallly aluminum wires and big gauge, specially for that distance. Use big conduits to run in/out of buildings to entry points. You could run this later and just have it set and be ready for when you want to hook up.  With your distance I think I would check on senond line with a meter from the power company as mentioned. The whole process may be your best bet in future.  Probly would mean poles and wires shown, but sounds like would be OK in your situation.

• HDWildBill and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#14 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 05:37 PM

Glgrumpy; that is the way I figured I would do it.  Wire the shop up with outlet, lights and switches to a service panel and then just have a plug out side that the Generator would plug into.  The Generator, as to my understanding, is designed to be able to run an entire house if the power goes out.   I already have a fused line from the meter to my old shop with a 100 amp breaker,  The new shop will be about 30 feet further away.  

I thought about running a cable from the old shop service panel to the new one which would be about 40 - 50 ft.  but I'm not entirely sure how that would work.

#15 Arti OFFLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,291 Thanks
  • 963 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 06:41 PM

If this is a 15,000 watt generator it is capable of producing 60 amps at 240 volts.. More than enough to run an entire house shop etc at the same time.

However if it is a 1500 watt at 120 volts  That would work out to about 12 amps total. it will be a bit undersized running an air compressor and a few tools at the same time.

We don't know the rating on your air compressor but a fair assumption would be 8 amps of current draw, Lots more to get it started  so that would leave a couple of amps to run anything else.. 2 100 watt light bulbs and an air compressor would about be the limit.