• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 alsjunk OFFLINE  

alsjunk

• Member No: 2100
  • 11 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 12:30 PM

Putting an onan bf back together and have new gaskets. Just wondering if you guys use any RTV or permatex etc?? Thanks

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 12:40 PM

I never use normal silicone sealers.  Yamabond 4 is a superior sealant that you can find at Yamaha motorcycle shops. Doesn't squeeze out to clog oil pickup screens.  A close 2nd in my opinion goes to Permatex Moto-1

29132.jpg

#3 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 12:40 PM

I rarely use sealant on anything, if I do use it I just put a thin film to basically hold a gasket in place while I'm putting something together.

That's just me though. I think everyone has there own way of doing things. And there is nothing wrong with using sealant.

#4 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 12:46 PM

I go along with Chris m; I don't remember the last time I use any or even had the need to use any but if I had to I would probably use Permatex.

Dick

#5 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 12:56 PM

My father-in-law taught me alot about mechanics and he would rarely use anything but a thin coat of wheelbearing grease on gaskets.

And I have followed suit. Never had a greased gasket fail.

May be one of those lost tricks used during the depression and war years when the good stuff was in short supply?  He even taught me how to make gaskets out of Wheaties & Cherrio's boxes and they worked with a thin coating of Duck Butter(Wheelbearing grease)..

When your out in the boonies you don't go to town for every little thing.

Edited by JD DANNELS, January 08, 2013 - 01:02 PM.

• tractorman604 and lyall have said thanks

#6 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 01:04 PM

My father-in-law taught me alot about mechanics and he would rarely use anything but a thin coat of wheelbearing grease on gaskets.

And I have followed suit. Never had a greased gasket fail.

May be one of those lost tricks used during the depression and war years when the good stuff was in short supply?

I agree! I consider myself fortunate! I started working as a mechanic when I was 13 in a gas station. The owner was an "Old timer" and he taught me many tricks of the trade that In all my years I never worked with another mechanic that knew them. His garage was the last of the "Real Service Stations" around here. He passed away last year and truly will be missed!

#7 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 01:23 PM

To me, as a general rule, the whole point of the gasket is to seal something.   If you need sealant, then either the surface hasn't been cleaned properly or it's damaged, nicked, scratched, warped, etc.

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 01:40 PM

With a lot of things today, no gaskets are even used, just a metal to metal fit, so a sealant is required.  I reuse gaskets all the time, and with a good sealant, even a torn gasket can be used over & over.  About the only gaskets I ever buy are head gaskets.  When I do need a paper gasket, I "usually" cut my own from sheet.

• chris m said thank you

#9 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 01:48 PM

With a lot of things today, no gaskets are even used, just a metal to metal fit, so a sealant is required.  I reuse gaskets all the time, and with a good sealant, even a torn gasket can be used over & over.  About the only gaskets I ever buy are head gaskets.  When I do need a paper gasket, I "usually" cut my own from sheet.

Daniel you just reminded me of something. Have you ever come across material that can be used to make a head gasket, other than copper?

And I totally agree with what you are saying here! Sometimes there is no way around it and you need sealer.

• olcowhand said thank you

#10 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 01:56 PM

Yeah,I've used that Permatex one Daniel showed,with great results.

• olcowhand said thank you

#11 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 02:48 PM

Daniel you just reminded me of something. Have you ever come across material that can be used to make a head gasket, other than copper?

No, can't say that I have, and I can't say they don't make such a thing either.

• chris m said thank you

#12 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,667 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 04:45 PM

Portland, IN show has fellas selling gasket material all the time, including mesh layered like a head gasket and other odd stuff. You need good tools tho to make nice bolt holes and clean edges when cutting. My freind buys there often.

I use little gasket material either. HATE silicone with all the squeeze out and hard to trim later. Messy to remove too. They do use it more now with less gaskets tho. I still use good old Permatex #1 that hardens for pipe joints and more perm things. Fellas at store can't belive I still buy it and use.  I haven't seen this one shown here but doesn't look much diff than slicone?? I even use old fashioned Indian Head shellac on some things, but gotta watch that for mess too. Can wipe off excess with gas or thinner with that. You Won't be re-using that gasket when takin apart!  OR, sometimes one side coated to hold in place some and when taking apart later the gasket stays with that part, held solid and does re-use. Have heard of cereal box gaskets and greasing. Would think the grease would weaken the papers and let them blow out or seep easier tho??

#13 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 04:53 PM

I haven't seen this one shown here but doesn't look much diff than slicone??  

Much different from regular silicone.  Very thin layer required, and what does get squeezed out doesn't come loose like silicone to clog stuff up.  Hardly any ever squeezes out though IF you let it tack a couple minutes before assembling the parts.  What may get squeezed out trims off easy, as it's not stretchy like normal silicones.

#14 xshooter OFFLINE  

xshooter

• Member No: 2325
  • 34 Thanks
  • 93 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 06:13 PM

Portland, IN show has fellas selling gasket material all the time, including mesh layered like a head gasket and other odd stuff. You need good tools tho to make nice bolt holes and clean edges when cutting. My freind buys there often.

My Grandfather taught me how to make gaskets. He always used the round end of a ball peen hammer to make the bolt holes and the other end to cut the gasket on the edges.

Edited by xshooter, January 08, 2013 - 06:15 PM.

#15 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 06:21 PM

For head gaskets I use the Permatex copper spray-a-gasket as a sealer. I like it because it doesn't ooze and if you let it tack up, it keeps the gasket in place while you put the head on. For just about everything else, I use Permatex part # 2B gasket sealer. It is impervious to just about any fluid that you'll find in an engine. The only drawback I've found is that you cannot re-use the gaskets.

• chris m said thank you