• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 11:41 AM

I have access to lots of 3" diameter and up pine trees,, I tried to build a fence a few years back, They just seem to rot out.. I tried to soak them in used motor oil,,,I have coated them with tar,,kerosine,,and many other things. What would keep them from rotting ???

Also I was thinking of makeing outdoor furniture,,,Is there an oil I could apply to make it last longer ?  Like tounge-oil or some kind of rub on oil to preserve the natural look..Iv'e seen varnish and shalack that lasts about 2 yrs and peels off.... Don,t want something like that..   I don't want some 50.00 dollar a gal. oil that log cabins are coated with ,, too exspensive !!

Would also like to try some chain-saw  carvings..how do they coat them so they don't turn gray and rot..??  Northern wisconsin is hard on wood ,Especially when sitting out all year long..

Any tips and-or-triks I could use to help keep some projects looking better longer would be APPreciated

sodi

#2 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 12:08 PM

Here's a link I found regarding your question. My favorites after a quick read are: charring the base of the posts or planting a seedling next to each post you place in the ground and eventually using the trees as your fence row. Good luck.

http://www.permies.c...rve-fence-posts

• Alc said thank you

#3 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,754 Thanks
  • 8,923 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 01:15 PM

I suggest you quit using pine. Even southern yellow pine will not hold up to the elements. Chop down the neighbor's cedar trees.

• Team_Green said thank you

#4 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 09:27 PM

I suggest you quit using pine. Even southern yellow pine will not hold up to the elements. Chop down the neighbor's cedar trees.

I agree with Cat on not using the pine. Cedar is allright also, but they also rot fairly quickly (9-10 years). I don't know if they grow in your area,but Locust posts are about the best fenceposts you can get. We use Locust on our fenceline. Some of those posts have been there for 20+ years.