Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

58' Bolens Versa-matic Ignition Trouble (kohler K161)

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#106 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,172 Thanks
  • 2,143 posts

Posted November 24, 2013 - 11:27 AM

Are you getting a good, strong spark when testing from the plug wire toward ground (bypassing sparkplug) ?  ....The spark should be able to jump a 1/4" gap.

Measure the resistance of your sparkplug from the terminal to the center electrode.  .....Are you using resistor-type plugs?

Yes, a new magneto could be defective, or weak.   .....I don't remember if you replaced the armature, or just the coil.  ....Is the coil loose on the armature?  .....Does the coil have a good ground?  

#107 Kfs35 ONLINE  

Kfs35
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 22474
  • 395 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted November 24, 2013 - 09:17 PM

Ok, I finally have an update!
I decided to pull the plug and decrease the plug gap from the recommended specs, to see if anything would happen, and it started in one pull when I did that.
Could the mag I bought be defective? I dont see how the spark could be weak since all ignition components have been replaced.

It is certainly possible to get a bad one. Short of trying another one, I don't know how you'd be able to test it though, and they sure aren't cheap.

How much did you have to close the plug gap?

#108 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,203 posts

Posted November 25, 2013 - 07:14 AM

Are you getting a good, strong spark when testing from the plug wire toward ground (bypassing sparkplug) ?  ....The spark should be able to jump a 1/4" gap.

Measure the resistance of your sparkplug from the terminal to the center electrode.  .....Are you using resistor-type plugs?

Yes, a new magneto could be defective, or weak.   .....I don't remember if you replaced the armature, or just the coil.  ....Is the coil loose on the armature?  .....Does the coil have a good ground?  

Its still able to jump the gap, the ignition tester I have shows the spark as being strong.

The coil is completely new with armature and everything.