Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

58' Bolens Versa-matic Ignition Trouble (kohler K161)

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#1 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 10:27 AM

Well as some of you know the Versa-Matic quit running on me a couple weeks ago and I'm now getting around to figuring out why.

I have it ruled down to an ignition issue.

I'm getting a nice blue spark but its not sparking like it should. When I give the engine a pull sometimes it sparks 2-3 times and other times I get 1 spark or nothing.

I was talking with Bruce through PM and he mentioned It may be a faulty condenser.

I cleaned and gapped the points and there was no change.

I went ahead and ordered a new set of points and condenser that should be here Friday.

After pulling the flywheel It seems I have another problem as the Bendix magneto housing is cracked!

I'm still getting a blue spark though so if it turns out to be the condenser do you think I could get away with putting some epoxy in the cracks to seal it up?

If I need a magneto does anyone know where to get one? They are NLA from Kohler but I have heard from someone on here that a guy is making new ones???

Since I have everything apart I'm taking the time to clean the carbon off the head and lap the valves.

Attached Thumbnails

• versa ignition trouble 001.JPG
  • versa ignition trouble 005.JPG
  • versa ignition trouble 008.JPG
  • versa ignition trouble 017.JPG

• MailmAn said thank you

#2 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,736 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 10:37 AM

I think those coils were notorious for being bad. Ohm check the secondary with the K-ohm scale. You should see somewhere in the 5-8 range. The primary side should check about 1-2 ohms only.  Mark's Magneto is making the new coils for them. I 've heard about 90.00 but not sure. The other option is to measure the laminations through the middle and find a coil that will fit on them. It's not real fussy. My experience has been if it fits on the laminations and has the external clearance it will work. I wonder if the kohler K series  coils would fit on the laminatons?

• Bolens 1000 and MailmAn have said thanks

#3 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 10:45 AM

So your saying if I get a coil that matches the mounting holes and clears the magnets it would work?

#4 jim knutson OFFLINE  

jim knutson
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 15368
  • 66 Thanks
  • 136 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 10:48 AM

if you cant find a new one, and it checks ok, i would just "wrap" it with some fiberglass material, and rosin. it looks like water got into the jacket of it somehow, froze, and expanded.....try to seal it better where the lead comes out of the top so it cant get anymore moisture in it.

#5 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 10:57 AM

if you cant find a new one, and it checks ok, i would just "wrap" it with some fiberglass material, and rosin. it looks like water got into the jacket of it somehow, froze, and expanded.....try to seal it better where the lead comes out of the top so it cant get anymore moisture in it.

Yeah Its hard to say how long its been like that. The crack looks like its been there a while since the plastic is not clean looking on the break.

I only owned this tractor for around 6 months so its hard to say what happened....

#6 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,736 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 11:05 AM

So your saying if I get a coil that matches the mounting holes and clears the magnets it would work?

The coil is just held on with the spring clips on the end. Then you can get the coil off the center laminations even if you have to cut it in half with a hacksaw. Then find a coil the will fit on the original laminations and have enough clearance for the magnets. that way it goes together like it should and you don't need to find the metal pieces. The K series coils come without the laminations so its just a matter of measuring the hole through the center.

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#7 goodnews OFFLINE  

goodnews
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8713
  • 126 Thanks
  • 423 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 11:38 AM

i would try a hot glue gun get it very hot and let the glue trickle in  i got mine at walmart i think  it was about $11.00  on the other they always told me if its working don't fix it lolo.   in christ bobby

#8 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,415 Thanks
  • 2,118 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 01:38 PM

Doc, you have a part number of the mag you need as i may have it if you need it.

#9 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 05:02 PM

I believe its Kohler# 230075

#10 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,736 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 05:40 PM

Doc, the post below was copied from Smokstak. The poster is now deceased but was a good source of info. If he recommended it, I wouldn't be afraid to try it.

"That said, I ran into this problem about five years ago with a K-161 I bought at an auction. The High Tension side of the coil was open. I tried ordering one from my local Kohler dealer. The coil was NLA. I did some measuring of some things and found I could install the coil from the under flywheel magneto that was used on Clinton's and Early Tecumseh engines. The cost for me to do this was ZERO DOLLAR as I had some GENUINE JUNK parts around. I removed a coil from a junk engine's mag and installed it on my K-161. My K-161 know runs like a top. The UPSIDE of this for anyone else who may NOT have the GENUINE JUNK parts I have, is this coil, Tecumseh P/N 30650A, is still available NEW from STENS, a large aftermarket small engine parts supplier, for under $40 list."
  • Bolens 1000, Bruce Dorsi, chris m and 1 other said thanks

#11 brownboystoys OFFLINE  

brownboystoys

• Member No: 6127
  • 107 Thanks
  • 130 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 06:49 PM

Just ordered 2 from Marks Magneto. $78.00 each + shipping. These are the proper ones for the k161. Seems to be a popular problem with these kohlers. Been a Kohler dealer for several years and just recently been finding these coils failing. Hope th einfo helps.

#12 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 06:51 PM

Do you have any pictures of them?

Are they a complete assembly with all the wiring?

#13 Kfs35 OFFLINE  

Kfs35
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 22474
  • 395 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 07:21 PM

The coil is just held on with the spring clips on the end. Then you can get the coil off the center laminations even if you have to cut it in half with a hacksaw. Then find a coil the will fit on the original laminations and have enough clearance for the magnets. that way it goes together like it should and you don't need to find the metal pieces. The K series coils come without the laminations so its just a matter of measuring the hole through the center.

This is what I had done about 3 years ago when my coil went bad. The guy across the road from me does small engine repair. He was able to replace the coil itself and I was back in business.

#14 brownboystoys OFFLINE  

brownboystoys

• Member No: 6127
  • 107 Thanks
  • 130 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 08:00 PM

just ordered this. When I get it will post a picture.

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#15 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,736 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 09:35 PM

Do you have any pictures of them?
Are they a complete assembly with all the wiring?

As far as I know it is just the coil.