#1 dogsoldier OFFLINE  

dogsoldier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9589
  • 316 Thanks
  • 490 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 10:16 PM

i have been looking at different plans for making a wind turbine and im wondering how to hook the batteries. i want to use something like a power converter to run things like computers, fan and what ever else. out of the 2 different ways , Series or Parallel, which would be the best without burning anything up?

#2 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 10:22 PM

You need to know what voltage your power converter or inverter input needs.

3 - 12volt batteries hooked up in series will give you 36volts

3 - 12volt batteries hooked up in parallel will give you 12volts

• Lauber1 said thank you

#3 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 10:28 PM

An inverter in line might be nice as well.

What kind of power are we talking here ds?

#4 dogsoldier OFFLINE  

dogsoldier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 316 Thanks
  • 490 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 06:09 PM

i was looking around and found a couple. 1 that hooked right to the batteries and the other is the kind you plugged in the cig lighter.

as for what lind of power i dont think i follow the question 

#5 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 06:38 PM

This is a huge subject. There have been volumes of books, and Gazillions of web posts

written on the subject.  i have 3 small inverter/solar/battery systems at my camp.

One piece of advice I can give you, is do your homework, before you spend any

money. Learn about your wattage requirments, storage capacity, charge rate, etc.

I've screwed it up enough times to be able to say that with confidence.

Stay positive.

• chris m said thank you

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 06:49 PM

This is a huge subject. There have been volumes of books, and Gazillions of web posts

written on the subject.  i have 3 small inverter/solar/battery systems at my camp.

One piece of advice I can give you, is do your homework, before you spend any

money. Learn about your wattage requirments, storage capacity, charge rate, etc.

I've screwed it up enough times to be able to say that with confidence.

Stay positive.

But DS is asking how to hook up batteries Will, and both terminals cant be positive!  :smilewink:   Yeah, I know, I'm a lot of help.  But I know nothing of this solar stuff, so that's all I got.

• IamSherwood said thank you

#7 dogsoldier OFFLINE  

dogsoldier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 316 Thanks
  • 490 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 06:54 PM

im not going solar. im thinking of using something like a generator or alternator from a car or garden tractor.

im going to try and have 4 or 5 batteries for storage

Edited by dogsoldier, January 08, 2013 - 06:54 PM.

#8 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 07:38 PM

Like Will said there is a lot to consider when doing this.  There is no quick and easy answer. Lets just say you decide to go Parallel with the batteries to keep things a little simpler so it will be 12 volts.

You would really need to make a list of all the things you will be using while on battery power. Then you need to find out how much power each one of those is going to take to run.

The reason I say this is because it is very easy and cheap to build a small system but... If not planned correctly you will be unhappy very quick!

One if you buy to small of and inverter (DC to A/C) then you won't be happy when you find you can only run one small thing at a time

And 2nd if you buy a large inverter and everything is working fine for 30 minutes then It all shuts down because the batteries have died because you are pulling more power than the generator can put out.

Then you have to consider what size and type of charge controller you need. This is important otherwise the entire time your turbine is spinning it will be charging the batteries even when they are fully charged and there is no load applied to them.(not good)

The batteries are important  you really need a good Amp Hour rating on the  deep cycle batteries you will use. If you use a regular car battery they will drain real fast and will take a long time to recharge.

I am not trying to scare you here! I have been down this road like Will. And have found if you try and go cheap or don't plan it out well the 1st time around then you will wind up spending a lot more money in the end.

Here is and example of a rig I use in emergencies.

I have one Deep cycle battery hooked to an inverter (4000 watt) With the battery fully charged I can make 2 pots of coffee, watch TV ( 2 movies)and charge cell phones. It will last around 6 hours before the battery is dead. when it dies it takes around 8 hours to charge it to full again. but It works great when the power goes out unexpectedly.

I think you will find that if you go Parallel on the battery hook up it will keep the cost down. and there seems to be more 12 volt things available and the prices are usually less.

Just research as much as you can. There is a ton of info on the Net about this!

And what ever you decide Good Luck :thumbs:

• IamSherwood and marlboro180 have said thanks

#9 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 08:31 PM

i was looking around and found a couple. 1 that hooked right to the batteries and the other is the kind you plugged in the cig lighter.

as for what lind of power i dont think i follow the question 

The one that hooks to the cigar lighter will not give you a lot of 110volt AC power, it will power a light or two but nothing heavy like a hair dryer.

12 volt inverters draw amps at about a 10 to 1 ratio.

If you want to run a 100watt, 110volt light bulb then you will drain the battery by about 9amps.

100watts at 110volts = about .9amps

100watts at 12volts = about 8.3amps,  + inverter losses.

VOLTS x AMPS = WATTS.

If you want to run a  12 amp 110volt circular saw to cut a 2x4 then you would need about 120amps from the battery pack to drive the inverter.

Here's a set up I have in the laundry room, it is kept charged up with a small car battery charger.

It will do 5 full loads of laundry running the washing machine and still have power left.

- 4 x 6volt golf cart batteries, wired for 12volts.

- 1 x 1750 watt, 12volt inverter.

- 1 small 2amp battery charger/maintainer, (not shown).

backup power 002..jpg

Here's a smaller setup that will run a light and my computer for several hrs.

- 1 x 12volt Deep cycle battery from Wallmart.

- 1 x 1000 watt 12volt inverter.

- 1 x 12volt battery charger/maintainer (this is the charger that I use on the larger setup)

backup power 001..jpg

Edited by DH1, January 08, 2013 - 08:42 PM.

• IamSherwood, chris m and marlboro180 have said thanks

#10 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,511 Thanks
  • 5,029 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 08:52 PM

I would suggest you not try and run your equipment continually from a battery bank dependent on wind. Wind is very unreliable and when you do your research your going to find it takes a large windmill to power an automotive type alternator.  Going from memory I think it takes around 5 hp. to run a 65 amp. alternator at full load. 

I have a 2500 watt inverter that I can hook to one of my small diesels and it does a good job of running the furnace, some lights, the refrigerator or freezer (alternating) and the computer all at once. It does have a digital read out that lets me know the voltage and watts being used. These work fine during power outages but I certainly wouldn't suggest running them full time. You start to see that paying for electricity is a bargain in the long run.

• IamSherwood said thank you

#11 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted January 08, 2013 - 09:19 PM

I have not done a lot of research on this. But I have run across a few things on auto alternators. the field needs to be turned off when the wind isn't blowing to keep from running down the battery and it will be hard to start turning with the field hot
  • chris m said thank you