Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

I Am So Ashamed...

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,138 Thanks
  • 2,270 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 09:28 PM

Of my generation.  I'm in my late 40's and was raised by a WWII vet.  I was taught many things such as hard work, pride in your work and do what it takes to get the job done.  I see many in my generation that are not holding true to these values and don't get me started on folks that are younger.  I personally know some very fine upstanding young folks including the ones on this forum so let me be clear when I say, I'm not talking about 100% of the people.  Here's what got me to thinking about this.

My dad is 88.  A couple of you have met him.  Has a lot of trouble walking but is strong as an ox in the upper body.  He can still lay me out if he wants to.  The legs are hereditary and I'm afraid mine are starting to show signs as well.  He still lives on his own.  Has a chair lift to the upstairs (had it installed when mom was sick with cancer) but refuses to use it for fear he'll get lazy.  Still gets down to his mailbox unless the snow is too deep.  Takes his garbage can down tot he road (all with the aide of a scooter, but he does it).  He even cuts his grass and takes care of the lawn.  He will drive but only when absolutely necessary and only short distances in the day time.  Hereditary eyes too.  He's doing what needs to be done without bothering anyone unless the situation dictates it.

I had to go get a new pressure switch for my water today.  On the way I drove past a house where there was a guy, I would say at or around dad's age, out shoveling snow from around his mailbox.  This stuff isn't fresh guys.  It's partially melted and refrozen so it's half ice.  This old guy was chipping away at it and getting it out from around the mailbox.  What's so special about that?  Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, he was in a WHEELCHAIR!  Not an electric one, a manual wheelchair.

I've know another guy all my life, same age as my dad.  Grew up with him basically.  He's not getting around as well as he used to but he NEVER stops.  For the past year he was caring for his cancer stricken wife while restoring a Fergusen 30 tractor for a friend of his.  She has since passed and he took the tractor to it's first show this past fall.  It's beautiful.  He has since started another one!

Folks, I don't know about you but that generation (the greatest generation) never ceases to humble me.  We're losing these folks at an alarming rate everyday.  The young don't sit and talk with these folks and learn from them.  I try to every chance I get.  I love this country but I am very ashamed of what we've done to it.

If you know somebody from the WWII era, take some time and talk with them.  Hear their stories.  Ask them what they did for fun when they were kids or what they think about things today.  My dad actually worked on a threashing crew at one time.  Most of all, let them know how much they are appreciated.  They've held this country together the way I see it.  Once they are gone, it will be like life without a net.  I guess this just hits close to me because of dad and the environment in which I grew up.

Sorry for the extremely long rant but I think these folks deserve some respect and admiration while there are still some here to accept it.

• NUTNDUN, olcowhand, John@Reliable and 35 others have said thanks

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,251 Thanks
  • 29,702 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 09:31 PM

No apology needed, and I agree with your every point!  So very true!   

• David Brown, boyscout862 and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#3 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,262 Thanks
  • 948 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 09:34 PM

I gave you a thanks but not because I'm a WWII vet. I've always admired them because they are the GREATEST GENERATION!!!
  • David Brown and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 Jehtro OFFLINE  

• Member No: 3300
  • 109 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 09:42 PM

i hear ya, we've certianly lost something along the way. We are consumers of cheap junk, we call someone when it breaks, or go take our leased / financed car to get another one. we don't know our neighbours, our mechanic, or where our food comes from, or care to know for that matter. its a life of convience as long as the credit card holds out, don't get me started, lol btw the way, for about 5 years now my 20 plus year old gt's have been clearing the lanes of 2 widows of vets. i do it cause dad always did it for his eldery nieghbours the one is from holland , she met her husband while we was liberating the country. crazy what they went through,
  • Alc, Moosetales, David Brown and 1 other said thanks

#5 backwoods OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8613
  • 2,049 Thanks
  • 2,429 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 09:56 PM

When my great grandpa was living we talked all the time about anything and everything every summer while at the lake.I was in 11th grade when he passed i miss those talks. Now i sit and talk with my grandpa once a week we have coffee and lunch together he to is in his 80's still works in his wood shop everyday and did his own firewood up till bout 2 yrs ago he bought logs hed cut it split and stack it not with a log spliter either he used a maul. I know the day will come when he will no longer be with me so i spend every chance i can with him and learning anything i can from him.

• Alc, Moosetales, David Brown and 1 other said thanks

#6 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 09:57 PM

Thanks for sharing. I'm a pastor's kid so I've spent many hours sitting with my dad talking with members of his many churches. You speak truth when you say we can learn a lot from generations gone by. My mom used to tell be, when talking to someone your senior ALWAYS place a hand on them, touch them on the arm or shoulder and make a real connection. Mom is wise. The younger and older generations still have lots to give and exchange with each other. My wife works in long-term care and Hospice and sees the joy of working with the elderly every day.

Thanks again for posting your thoughts.

#7 UncleWillie ONLINE  

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,500 Thanks
  • 7,630 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 09:58 PM

My grandad never talked about his involvement in WWII. I have seen a few pictures but nothing else. I have had wonderful opportunities to talk to other men though. ONe man drive on of the LSTs that came ashore on D-Day and another went up the cliffs on Normandy and another who went into Auschwitz after its capture. The stories they told were amazing. I wish I could remember them enough to write them down.

• Alc, David Brown and boyscout862 have said thanks

#8 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

• Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 10:06 PM

"Sorry for the rant..."

That's no rant, thats an expression of love for those that saved our and Europe's (and in an indirect way the entire Orient's) asses.  Some fought overseas and those that stayed behind built, and they made the greatest strongest country in the world. 

Gee, it's only taken the 40 short years after the last men on the moon to tear it down to something resembling... "France".  Thanks "Latest Generation", I didn't realize how much "success", "national pride" and "individuality" were hated as much as they are today until the last presidential campaign.  I heard it all from a bunch of sources that last year...

"All I want out of life is the latest smartphone app, a latte' and a DVD of the entire series of 'Jersey Shore' and I'm golden!"

• Alc, Bruce Dorsi, David Brown and 3 others have said thanks

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 10:07 PM

You are 100% spot on. We are losing a generation that started with nothing and worked hard for everything.  Now they want everything right of the bat and don't know what physical labor is.

#10 dogsoldier OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9589
  • 315 Thanks
  • 490 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 10:11 PM

i agree 100%

i love talking to the older people more then people my age. i was raised by my gran parents and learned so much. 

i live across the street from a WW 2 vey and a viet  nam vet. i take care of there walk ways in the winter and never ask for anything for it. 

• olcowhand, David Brown, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#11 PaPasTractor OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9237
  • 197 Thanks
  • 158 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 10:34 PM

I didn't hear no rant...only someone speaking the TRUTH...Thanks

• David Brown, boyscout862 and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#12 coldone OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,630 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 11:15 PM

I didnt hear a rant. I am 40 and my family is getting smaller every year. This past weekend  I laid to rest the last WWII vet of my family (Uncle). I am truly amazed at where they came from and where they ended up. Luckily my wife is just as interested in "how it used to be" as I am. Every time we get together with the older generations of our families we always talk about what their childhood and lives used to be like. My older generation of family is my inspiration of how to raise my own. They were not perfect but they were and are honorable people that believed in hard work and being "good people". I hope I can be half as good as the example they have set for me.

• olcowhand, David Brown, twostep and 1 other said thanks

#13 JDGuy445 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 10419
  • 356 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 06:51 AM

I worked for a farmer here sometimes who is in his 70s. One time I was loading a trailer of straw bales and he comes out to help me, which was really surprising to me because he sure doesn't look like the type of guy that would still be working hard. These older folks really have a lot in them and I really respect that.

My father would look retired but he's still trucking and helps out farmers now and then. He is still lifting around heavy things even with all his health trouble. I ask him if he needs help and just keeps on going. He'll still climb on the big tractors and head into the field.

Nowadays, most kids are afraid of manual labor and just want everything handed to them on a silver platter. Meanwhile, those kid's parents doing just that.

• David Brown said thank you

#14 twostep OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,849 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 08:29 AM

Call it a rant or call it the d&mn truth I liked reading it and agree 100%!!

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I (and my wife) was born in the wrong generation.

• David Brown said thank you

#15 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,714 Thanks
  • 864 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 09:05 AM

its not a rant when its true, it amazes me what this generation does not know, oh sure they are up to date on computers and such, but just the basics, gee give me a break, i live in the country i hired the boy down the street, big kid 16 yrs old, well i was planting some apple trees, marked where i wanted them planted left and went to town , when i came back he had planted a couple,, should of planted 20 or more, then i watched him try to dig a hole, he did not know to put his foot on the shovel to drive it into the ground, i dont blame him, i blame his dad for not teaching him, maybe he didnt want to learn and sometimes it would be easier just to do it yourself then fight with them but lessons in life , respect, honor are not easy, some times you have to make them learn weather they want to or not.

• David Brown and twostep have said thanks