Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Welcome to Garden Tractor Talk Forums

GTtalk is the place to go if you are a garden tractor collector or someone looking for information on your favorite tractor. We have interactive forums, registry, tractor / implement manuals, photo galleries, articles, show coverage, tech tips and how tos, classifieds and much more.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which provides limited access. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate with other members, vote on polls, upload images and attachments as well as many other special features. Registration is quick and easy and best of all completely free!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Photo
- - - - -

Mtd 990 ?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Bob IN OFFLINE  

Bob IN
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24042
  • 599 Thanks
  • 391 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 06:15 PM

Im looking at buying a mtd 990. I was just curious can you get clutch parts for them anymore? And are they well built? It has a sleeve hitch on it and i was curious if i would handle a brinly plow very well?

Thanks.

#2 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

• Member No: 8360
  • 1,482 Thanks
  • 1,972 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 06:32 PM

Clutch??  Most are hydro.  Seems some models of manuals just have a belt tensioner aren't they?  Seems there is some with a range tensioner pulley that changes speeds and they may freeze up I guess.  Just going by what I've read here, sorry not your sharpest MTD owner for sure.  My 3pt seems pretty tough. These are long arms L-shaped that mount on axle tabs and have long rod links to the lift arms in center of tractor along outside of frame. They are pretty heavy also. Third link goes to heav metal on bck of axle, much like a Sears had. Getting that exact link is tougher, but you can make one or buy aftermarket and it will work fine. There is quite a write up in owners manual on mounting items there and attachments look a litttle more complicated if you get orig ones. Lots of links and adjusters on most items.

#3 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,282 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 06:41 PM

Post some photos if possible, and as far as well built? yes nice little tractor, even if it was built by MTD. :D  Definitely not a walmart MTD. I know of a few that are real workers, and held up well. I tried to buy last year to add to the fleet, but miss it by an hour. 

#4 pwombles OFFLINE  

pwombles

• Member No: 7101
  • 182 Thanks
  • 211 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 08:20 PM

The clutch disc is still available. Jacks small engines has it but it is $100+. these are real workhorses! Pictures would be great!

• Bob IN said thank you

#5 Canawler ONLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,061 Thanks
  • 1,155 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 12:31 PM

First, the 990 models are all hydro.  The manual shift models are 960, 860, and 760 depending on engine size.  There are several other differences including but not limited to a larger rear wheel, longer wheelbase, and hydraulic lift on the 990s.  They came with a 3-point hitch depending on branding but as far as I know, no sleeve hitch, but an adapter may have been available.

The clutch parts for the manual shift models are no longer available from MTD and although Jack's may list the clutch, I know someone who tried to buy one from them and they don't really have them and can't get them.  Are there any sitting on dealers parts shelves... probably but who knows??  There are several threads on here and other GT sites about people making or adapting clutches but all involve some fabrication.

They are well built and sturdy but like all tractors have a trouble spot or two.

They should easily handle a plow.

#6 ggsteve OFFLINE  

ggsteve

• Member No: 4164
  • 141 Thanks
  • 253 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 05:37 PM

Besides the clutch availability listed above, if it has the 3pt hitch check the tabs on the rear axles to make sure they aren't broken.  Also, look to see if it is a year that had the giant hole cut in the frame in front of the left rear wheel, the frame often cracks there.

#7 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 562 Thanks
  • 992 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 08:59 PM

If it's gear driven it has no ears on the transaxle.It has a heavy steel plate on the back of it with all the mounting hardware bolted to that.

You can use a Cub Cadet clutch disk if you were to drill 4 new holes in it.Cub Cadet clutches are around $40.

I love my MTD 960 with 4 speed transaxle.Only thing that buggs me is that it will pop out of 2st gear quite a bit.Low range is 1st gear on it,Just like the 4 speed in the 100-200 series John deere tractors.

Attachments are around but pretty hard to find.People seem to keep ahold of them if they have any.

• pwombles said thank you

#8 pwombles OFFLINE  

pwombles

• Member No: 7101
  • 182 Thanks
  • 211 posts

Posted January 09, 2013 - 11:38 PM

Any way you could post a link for the Cub cadet clutch disc? I messaged jacks small engines and they messaged me back and said it was a special order item that could take up to 3 weeks to get in. I like the $40 price tag better than $100+! I can drill holes!

#9 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 562 Thanks
  • 992 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 01:38 PM

I haven't measured the MTD disk but it should be the same size.If some one has a Disk that we can get a measurement off of it will help a ton.

Here is a Cub Cadet Clutch Disk.$30.00 + free shipping

http://www.ebay.com/...=item1e6fa02661

Edited by EricFromPa, January 10, 2013 - 01:39 PM.

#10 HALFSCALE OFFLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4343
  • 218 Thanks
  • 353 posts

Posted January 12, 2013 - 06:01 PM

If your Mtd disc isn't broke , you can turn and re- drill the disc you have, Eric is correct , thier the same disc as cub, cubs are three hole and Mtds are four.

#11 ggsteve OFFLINE  

ggsteve

• Member No: 4164
  • 141 Thanks
  • 253 posts

Posted January 12, 2013 - 09:52 PM

Is this the clutch plate you're looking for?

http://www.ebay.com/...=item2ec4e0c934