• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 larryd OFFLINE  

larryd
  • Member No: 15865
  • 724 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 05:19 PM

Well I finally got the steeringwheel off. So now I can start cleanup and get ready for paint.. You say you like pictures so I'm sending some .

larryd.

Attached Thumbnails

• 001.JPG
  • 002.JPG
  • 003.JPG
  • 004.JPG
  • 005.JPG
  • 006.JPG
  • 007.JPG
  • 008.JPG
  • 009.JPG

• mjodrey, Texas Deere and Horse, johndeereelfman and 3 others have said thanks

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 05:40 PM

Larry that looks familiar. I have most of my 317 except for the engine in my basement so I can pick away at it this winter. Those rear ends are easier to handle if you tip them up on the back side of the frame. I got my frame sorted out, cleaned up and painted this summer/fall. I bought and did a major refresh of my 314 in 201. I didn't do right down to the frame but had to do a lot of repairs. There are a lot of parts in one of those tractors. There seem to be twice as many when you go to reassemble them. 

If you have any questions I may be able to help as I've been into most problem areas on a 314. They are nice tractors but those grills are a real mess. I wish they had of put something better on there. It's so hard to deal with and easy to bend but hard to straighten.  Keep us posted on your progress.

• larryd said thank you

#3 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 05:41 PM

Yep! It's diss-assembled now! That's the best way to do one. start with frame and add parts as needed to get on all four wheels and go little at a time with new bearings, seals, welding, painting and it will start to look like new once again. Steering wheels are the worst part to remove, seems someone would  have invented a easier solution!

• larryd said thank you

#4 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 05:44 PM

Not sure what grills these have, but there is forming tools available to help straighten the JD mesh grills with ribs. LAGT magazine has ads for them all the time. Maybe a google search will come up with makers. OR, guys here may know and chip in the info.

• JDBrian and larryd have said thanks

#5 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 06:15 PM

Thank-you for sharing! I don't see very many 314's anymore. I have a few 100 and 200 series but really want a 312-318. I am looking forward to future posts.

• larryd said thank you

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 06:11 AM

Not sure what grills these have, but there is forming tools available to help straighten the JD mesh grills with ribs. LAGT magazine has ads for them all the time. Maybe a google search will come up with makers. OR, guys here may know and chip in the info.

Thanks for that info. I've seen that as well but had forgotten about it. I think it was quite pricey if memory serves.  I'm considering making a better quality grill for mine that can be easily removed or hinged down to access the PTO pulley. A tool for straightening the existing one would be useful but doesn't solve the problem of it just being a lousy setup. 

• larryd said thank you

#7 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 06:27 AM

Larry,thanks for sharing these photos with us.

• larryd said thank you

#8 larryd OFFLINE  

larryd
  • 724 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 06:50 AM

So far my grille is pretty good shape. I do agree that is a poor design. I also have been trying to think of another type of grille with a better mounting system. If anyone has any ideas let me know . I think mounting is the biggest problem .

larryd

• JRJ said thank you

#9 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 06:27 PM

Yes the existing grill is hard to remove/install and rubs the paint off itself and the side covers because it is not really properly secured. I haven't really looked at it in detail. I managed to straighten the one on my 314 but the 317 grill is really mangled and I don't know if I can save it without some sort of tool like was discussed above. If you have any ideas please share and I'll do the same. 

• larryd said thank you

#10 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 08:36 PM

Gosh Larry, do you think you know where all those parts go???  But it is looking good---I think.

Dick

• larryd said thank you

#11 larryd OFFLINE  

larryd
  • 724 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 10:30 PM

I hope so. I bagged most of them. I did get the frame painted today.Not seeing to good things are going slower than I thought they would. I'm thinking of having the green painted by some one else though because for it to look decent .  I don't expect it to be show quality so the frame isn;t as big of a deal. I quess I have to give in to the fact that I just can't do what I use to be able to .

See you in the morning at Caseys for coffee.

larryd

• JRJ said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jd314