New To Old Gts

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 tractornutty OFFLINE  

• Member No: 24180
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 02:48 PM

I have a 2012 Gt 6000 and absolutly love it. However I am looking for an older GT with a tiller, 3point, and hydo capabilities for a DIY loader. I dont know much about the older GTs. What would be the animal I want?

Here is a local post of one I was looking at but not sure about being able to add a loader?

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,460 Thanks
  • 7,347 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 03:21 PM

Welcome to GTT. That pic is a beauty. I've seen them with loaders. There are a wide variety of old tractors that can do what you want. There are also a large variety of opinions on which is best. I suggest that you look through the picture galleries to see what you like. Then look up conversations about them. The threads are searchable. There are manuals to download(free) to further research. Then check back here for the comments you will get. I bet you end up with more than one because they are fun.

Edited by boyscout862, January 07, 2013 - 03:23 PM.

#3 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,637 Thanks
  • 8,520 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 03:25 PM

Welcome to GTTalk TractorNutty.  Glad you decided to join us.  I think Boyscout862 pretty much covered it. I'm sure you will get a lot more comments.

• Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 03:33 PM

Welcome to GTTalk Tractornutty, yes as Boyscott862 advised, by days end you will no doubt have more comments than expected. Good luck with your hunt on the perfect tractor.

#5 dstaggs OFFLINE  

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 552 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 03:41 PM

Welcome to GTtalk everyone has like and dislikes. The one in the picture could sit at the end of my garden as 5 old sears.

#6 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

• Member No: 11127
  • 1,325 Thanks
  • 1,509 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 03:47 PM

Welcome nutty! Take some time to explore the whole website and as always we love pics so when you find that tractor put some pics up for us to see :thumbs:

#7 tractornutty OFFLINE  

• Member No: 24180
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 03:50 PM

Would you know what models if any of the crafstman come with front hydros?

#8 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,294 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 04:28 PM

So now you want a worker,  beware the old tractors don't have cup-holders, but might have a cigarette lighter :D 

I have a Sears SS14 with a loader that works well. If I was you I would be looking for a SS or a Craftsman FF which was marketed to give JD 318 a run for the money. You won't find many GT that will run a loader very well thru on board system hyd's, usually a separate pump is needed. If I was building something from scratch I would probably use a Case 446 tractor plus the tiller is second to none.

P.S. :welcometogttalk:

#9 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,477 Thanks
  • 6,360 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 05:32 PM

Wi guy!  I'm from Janesville/Milton area, now in IN.  GM trasfer.  Being in WIS, you should look at Case or Economy Power Kings. Both were built there and have good following. Also the IH Cub Cadets of old. Loaders aren't the real work machines people think when on a GT, and some get overworked.  Case had 600 series that had built on loaders and maybe backhoes but a little more rare. Later model Power Kings in METAL body are pretty good and easy to fix and adapt at home. May have 3pt hitches on many of these brands and others. The Heavy Massey Fergesons are great too. Check out ebay and Caigslists to see what is out there. Check all the dealers in your areas, sometimes in Back rows you can fnd a fix-er-upper if willing to work on them. Even regular junkyards have some things setting around in some cases.

Just remembered the MTD 990 series sold by Farm and Fleet and many others that are pretty decent size tractor. I just picked one up last summer to rebuild at the Rock Thresheree. Going to shows and swaps are real good way to find a deal also. Those F and F tractors were Farm Kings or Ranch Kings and usually Red for your area! Some were hydro and others manual depending on engine sizes and models. 3pt hitch on bigger ones.

Edited by glgrumpy, January 07, 2013 - 05:36 PM.

#10 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 05:48 PM

Welcome. If you want to do a lot of work with a loader it's real nice to have power steering. The newer JD tractors like the 318, 445 etc have it and there are probably lots of others that i'm not aware of. 

#11 KennyP OFFLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,604 Thanks
  • 38,986 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 05:48 PM

Welcome to the forum. Lots of different tractors can be loader tractors, just some are better suited for that task.

• Member No: 10038
  • 4,665 Thanks
  • 4,216 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 05:57 PM

#13 MH81 OFFLINE  

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,663 Thanks
  • 28,314 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 08:36 PM

:welcome: to GTTalk, I agree with what John said above, the SS or FF series would do you a good job with the added on hydraulics. If you end up finding a SS that strikes your fancy, you might want to look into upgrading the front axels to 1" for improved weight capacity.

#14 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,405 Thanks
  • 1,324 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 08:43 PM

Welcome, come on in , pour yourself a cup of your favorite beverage and stay a spell!!