caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted September 07, 2010 - 03:21 PM

I was working on the fuel system on the Bolens 1060 on Labor day. I was starting to flush the fuel tank out and noticed that all of my gas cans were empty, so I loaded them up into the trunk and went to hop in the drivers seat when I noticed that EVERYTHING that had been in my console was strewn all over the seats in the front...except my wallet!
I am darn near religious about locking my car at night! the one time in the last six months that I forget and someone got into my car and took my damn wallet! :wtf::sensored: They also took my wifes' purse out of her van which is also, usually, locked! They got $20 in cash, my debit card, my Drivers license, my SS card, my wifes' check book, her drivers' license, all of our insurance cards, her I-pod, and a mess of makeup that she just bought!
What a wonderful way to spend labor day! ... by taking stuff that someone else labored for so you don't have to! and on the other side of that coin, spending an hour and a half with the incredibly nice State Trooper who came out to file the report.
I get that you should lock your cars at night! I know that had I done it, this probably wouldn't have happened to me. However, the aforementioned State Trooper informed us that we were on a 10 mile stretch of road where they hit 8 or 9 other cars! Again I say :wtf:!!! OK, I'm through ranting now.

#2 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted September 07, 2010 - 03:27 PM

Sorry to hear this for sure! I had a Suzuki 4-wheeler stolen like 15yrs ago, but it was recovered. The freshly rebuilt crank & top end were trashed though. I had rebuilt it like a couple weeks before it was stolen. They caught the guy & he was ordered to pay restitution but I only got about 1/2 what I was out. I had to jump through hoops to get that much & just gave up trying on the rest. I was only out about $200, so could have been worse. Rather it be my case than to lose all my personal info like you did. Hope they catch the #@!%$ thief/thieves!

#3 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 07, 2010 - 03:28 PM

That's too bad,I'm sorry that had to happen to you.

#4 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted September 07, 2010 - 05:08 PM

They now have enough of your personal information to IMPERSONATE YOU. They could go and take out a mortgage on your home or even sell your house without you knowing it. They could go out and open all kinds of charge accounts, bank accounts, credit cards... all in your name and your wife's name and put you into financial ruin. I don't think that you've come to grips with what's happened here. They can sell all of your ID to people that can turn your lives upside down. You need some professional advice. Go see your bank manager for starters. Stuff could be happening right now and you won't know it until the bills start arriving a month from now.

#5 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted September 07, 2010 - 05:47 PM

"I get that you should lock your cars at night! I know that had I done it, this probably wouldn't have happened to me."

It's nothing for some scum bag to break into your car, whether it's locked or not. I hope you can minimize the potential damage, at a minimal dollar cost. Be sure to visit with the three main credit bureaus ( Credit Bureau Contact Information ) and have an alert put on your files. Good luck!

#6 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted September 07, 2010 - 06:41 PM

caseguy, I am really sorry to hear about your misfortune. Please take the appropriate steps to keep your identity as safe as possible and keep the perps from doing any further damage. If someone wants to rob they will do it whether the door is locked or not but please don't leave valuable stuff in your vehicles anymore. I am known to leave my vehicles unlocked with the keys in the ignition but there is never anything valuable in the vehicle. I wish you the best through this ordeal.

#7 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,684 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted September 07, 2010 - 06:57 PM

I am very sorry that this has happened to you caseguy....
As said in the above posts make sure you take the appropriate steps to help keep your identity safe.
I hope they catch those &%$#@#! Posted Image
Wish you the best

#8 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted September 07, 2010 - 07:11 PM

They now have enough of your personal information to IMPERSONATE YOU. They could go and take out a mortgage on your home or even sell your house without you knowing it. They could go out and open all kinds of charge accounts, bank accounts, credit cards... all in your name and your wife's name and put you into financial ruin. I don't think that you've come to grips with what's happened here. They can sell all of your ID to people that can turn your lives upside down. You need some professional advice. Go see your bank manager for starters. Stuff could be happening right now and you won't know it until the bills start arriving a month from now.

:ditto:On this.
Forget about cash an makeup it's what they can do with everything else, that's the real problem now, I've heard and seen some real horror stories and sometimes it takes a long time to go away.
IMO first step freeze or change your credit cards and bank accounts now.

#9 farmgineer OFFLINE  

farmgineer

• Member No: 1031
  • 0 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted September 07, 2010 - 08:25 PM

caseguy, this is a total drag and a total invasion of personal space and property. Whether it was valuables or personal information, it can really hit you that someone has been into your stuff and is running off with it. Believe it or not, my wife had her purse stolen off her desk AT WORK by someone unknown to her and her coworkers (they actually seen the people and car speed off). We immediately called the credit bureau's and locked everything down. It stays on your record a long time but thankfully we didn't have any reprocusions probably because we acted QUICKLY. Can't say quickly loud enough. An interesting note is that they were actually nice enough to mail back her drivers licence and health card a couple of weeks later! Not worth much to them, but it was one thing to start putting all that information back in order. Hope things go as smooth as possible....

#10 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted September 07, 2010 - 08:53 PM

Sorry to hear that you got hit caseguy. As has been said cancel everything just as quick as you can. My wife had her purse stolen this summer right out of her shopping cart at a large store. She reported it as soon as she noticed it gone to the store manager. The store security team whatched the survailance video and had pictures of who had done it. The officer told her what steps to take and we had everything cancelled within a hour. The cops caught the guy 2 weeks later and he was just a petty thief who said he had taken the cash and ditched the rest of her purse and contents in a dumpster. We were lucky that there wasn't any identy issues or charges run up on the credit cards but the time and money spent replacing the cards and drivers license, etc still adds up. We can file against the guy for damages but he has nothing so I really don't think it's worth the effort. My wife is going to go to the trial and can make a victim statement. We were lucky, and I hope things turn out well for you. It still sucks big time having to go throughit though. Good luck.

#11 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted September 07, 2010 - 08:55 PM

Thank you all very much! Your advice and kind words have not fallen on deaf ears! I did want to note that the second we discovered it, we call the police immediately. As it was a holiday, the bank had to wait, but my wife was there when they opened this morning. It seems that we have dodged a bullet this time though. The Good Lord must be watching over us! One of the arborists who works on the tree farm across the road brought home a shopping bag full of the contents of my wifes purse and wallet as well as my wallet and all its' contents, save the cash, that he'd gathered up out of the tall weeds. My wifes purse, her I-pod, her wallet itself, a couple of gift cards and cash were all they wanted apparently. All of my vital info was there including the debit card , and more importantly, my SScard! I still have the watches in place in case the just copied my info for future use. Thank you all again for your support in this difficult time...and consider it a lesson learned! -Steve
P.S. I still hope they get caught!!!

#12 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,289 Thanks
  • 28,622 posts

Posted September 07, 2010 - 10:57 PM

Thank goodness for silver linings, my friend. Just keep in mind that we're pulling for you guys from up here too. This could've been so much worse, glad it's gonna be alright... BTW, did you remember to lock the cars up tonight?:D

#13 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted September 08, 2010 - 06:04 AM

Glad to hear that you got that much of your things back!

#14 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted September 09, 2010 - 06:25 AM

Sorry to hear about this happening to you, caseguy. I'm glad that the important items were recovered for you.