9 replies to this topic

#1 Bob IN OFFLINE  

Bob IN
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24042
  • 1,473 Thanks
  • 676 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 11:21 AM

Can you get new sickle sections and gaurds for a simplicity sickle mower? Just picked one up. Anybody used one? What do you think bout them?

#2 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 11:57 AM

They are extremely hard to find, and I believe parts are no longer made.  My BIL has one on his Allis 416 and loves it!  Built by Haban Enterprises.

• Bob IN said thank you

#3 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,801 Thanks
  • 7,542 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 11:58 AM

What model? A picture will help. I've got one and was planning to cannabilize a Troybilt walkbehind but I'm not even sure its the same.

• Bob IN said thank you

#4 goodnews OFFLINE  

goodnews
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8713
  • 126 Thanks
  • 423 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 12:44 PM

i have one on my 1965 landlord it works fine you can check it out on my post (which one is it )  june 25 2012.   don't know anything about getting parts thus far haven't needed any.     in Christ    bobby 

• Bob IN said thank you

#5 SimplicitySwede OFFLINE  

SimplicitySwede

• Validating
  • Member No: 4073
  • 57 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 01:10 PM

Heres my 210.   I been told you can use walk behind Sickles and Guards for it.  Sometimes Sandy Lake has a few parts.  I just ordered the 4 half bushings they had.  I need them on the Sickle driver.  Also tried to see if they had. An inner race on the pitman arm.  They get stuff in pretty often.  Id check Sandy Lake Implement nice people too!!!!  http://www.sandylakeimp.com/  They also have a Facebook Page.

Attached Thumbnails

• 3012Sickel1.jpg

• Bob IN said thank you

#6 EconChuck OFFLINE  

EconChuck
  • Member No: 18979
  • 251 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 06:33 PM

Hi,

A lot depends on whether it uses 2" or 3" sickle sections. The 2" were typically used on GT's and are definitley harder to come by. 3" sections are more widely available. Try your locsl TSC or other farm store. I have a sickle bar mower on a Power King tractor and it thankfully has 3" sections that were readily available.

Chances are there are other brands that used the same parts.

Good luck.

Chuck

Edited by EconChuck, January 07, 2013 - 06:34 PM.

• herbfarts said thank you

#7 goodnews OFFLINE  

goodnews
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8713
  • 126 Thanks
  • 423 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 07:52 PM

i'm thinking the bars for the most part should be available at trs or the agri. stores. in Christ  bobby

Edited by goodnews, January 07, 2013 - 07:53 PM.

#8 SimplicitySwede OFFLINE  

SimplicitySwede

• Validating
  • Member No: 4073
  • 57 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 11:33 PM

Bob,

I have thought about making my own bar our of a fullsize sickle mower.  but idk how or if you can make it work.  You would have to cut the bar down and used bigger sections.  Dont use the original bar because it wont work. my 2 cents

#9 machinist OFFLINE  

machinist
  • Member No: 29663
  • 78 Thanks
  • 100 posts

Posted March 10, 2013 - 05:28 PM

I have a Haban with 2" sections and have read a couple places that nobody makes them new now.   I plan to put it on a Case tractor, but wound up on a Simplicity site for info.   Some guys there have made new sickle bars for them, and converted to 3" sections and guards.   That requires some serious mods, including increasing the STROKE of the drive to 3" +.    Not easy, but it does make parts available to keep it going. 

I did find some used 2" garden tractor sections and guards, so I can now mount and try this thing out and see if I like it well enough to go to the trouble of converting it to 3". 

The bar is simple flat stock.   Just buy a piece the right size, then lay out the bottom end mounting holes from the old one.   Install on the mower and position the first guard on it, and stack 'em on from there to outer end.   Same treatment for the sickle knife bar.   Takes a lot of rivetting, but it works.   I made a 4 foot bar for a Gravely the same way from bar stock. 

Edited by machinist, March 11, 2013 - 08:10 PM.

• herbfarts said thank you

#10 skunkhome OFFLINE  

skunkhome

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8044
  • 322 Thanks
  • 455 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 08:35 PM

I love mine but now I have nothing to hang it on. 100_0311_zpscbc7010f.jpg