• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 14, 2010 - 08:30 AM

I can't take it anymore, told the wife I am ready to start packing our stuff and movin on out LOL.

I can't stand it being so dry and with the house being forced air heat it is drying me out. I haven't had a nose bleed in years and now just today I had one because of how dry it is. Our old house where we were last winter had hot water base board heat and while it would still get dry in the winter it was tolerable.

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted February 14, 2010 - 08:32 AM

I'm with you. When is spring going to come??? I'm ready to put the mowing deck back on.
I should get some seat time today though. We got about 4'' and counting last night

#3 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 14, 2010 - 08:45 AM

Being able to get some seat time does help take the misery away. All the snow is cleared that needs to be cleared here and just sitting out there reminding me that it is cold out. I want to get dad's 1053 buttoned up and setup so he can use that to mow with while I work on the 600 and 800 for him. I don't know if we are going to restore them this year or just get them in good mechanical / dependable condition and restore them the following year.

I know we are going to get some reel mowers and we are going to fab our own trailing frame for them, at least that way the 1053 won't get too dirty LOL.

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted February 14, 2010 - 10:09 AM

Patience my friends...it's just mid February! But I do have a feeling it will be an extended cold year! I got a humidifier for us....just a smaller type, but has helped a lot. I place it right next to LP furnace intake so it gets sucked through whole house. It's raised humidity 10 to 15 points! House feels warmer & my face not so splotchy from dry patches.
I want warm weather as bad as anyone, but reality is, it's gonna be a while. So pack on the clothes & get some tractor time in....only remedy there is.:D

#5 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 14, 2010 - 11:00 AM

I think I might have to check in to getting a humidifier. Even if it is just one of those vicks style ones. I gotta do something because my nose is really annoying me.

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted February 14, 2010 - 11:11 AM

I think I might have to check in to getting a humidifier. Even if it is just one of those vicks style ones. I gotta do something because my nose is really annoying me.

One of the "cool mist" types for the bedroom may help a lot. A hot mist works better ...that's what I'm using. Holmes is the brand.

#7 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted February 14, 2010 - 12:07 PM

I grew up in an old farm house with hot water heat. Didn't know how great it was until I got married and bought a house with forced air. We use a humidfier all the time now. Just as a heads up... I found out that I couldn't use the new type of humidifiers. I have my own well, and even with a water softener, the water is too hard and kept plugging the units. I found an old "water wheel" type humidifier at a garage sale, for 5 bucks and it works great. I can take it ouside in the spring and clean it real easy, with a solution of vinegar and water, and it's ready to go for the next season. Like olcowhand said, the hot mist ones work good for a bedroom. I've never run one of those. Maybe hard water doesn't bother them.

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted February 14, 2010 - 12:10 PM

My hot type has to have the heater "stone" scraped every week or 2, but no biggy....well worth the little effort it takes.

#9 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 14, 2010 - 12:11 PM

Thanks for the good info guys. We have one of the vicks warm misters but I think it is clogged from when we had well water. We used to have another one but I don't know whatever happened to it. I need to get to be more thrifty and go to more yard sales as I also like collecting old bicycles and there are a lot to be had for great prices, just gotta go to em.