Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

How Much Weight Is Too Much On The Rear Of A Gt?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted January 06, 2013 - 09:54 PM

I want to add weight to my Cub Cadet 129. The question is how much is too much for the rear axles, bearings and housing. I have seen GTs with a lot of weight hanging off the back and hanging underneath. I will be making wheel weights in spring but until then I want to add weight for a little better traction. The carbide bars on my chains are wreaking havoc on the driveways. I have not seen anything in any literature about a weight limit. I am a 300 pounder myself.

Geno

Edited by bgkid2966, January 06, 2013 - 09:54 PM.

#2 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted January 06, 2013 - 10:08 PM

The cub axles are pretty rugged, and can probably support a lot of weight. I think the real question is how much can you add until the front comes up?
  • IHCubGuy said thank you

#3 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 06, 2013 - 10:11 PM

Cub rear ends are the heaviest built of all the garden tractor brands, with exception of maybe Power King. Cub used the same rear end as did the big Cub tractor, just used shorter axles.

#4 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted January 06, 2013 - 10:16 PM

I think you would be surprised what they will live up to.  I have a bracket on the back of my 100 and add up to 5 full size IH suitcase weights on it for plowing snow.  They weigh 70lbs a piece and I also have 2 26lb wheel weights on it plus my 205lb self as well.  Thats 607lbs  over the tractors base weight.  About as much as the tractor itself weighs and I have yet to break anything and I use it hard plowing snow! 

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_0503 (Small).jpg
  • 100_0504 (Small).jpg
  • 100_0265 (Small).jpg

• Alc, Texas Deere and Horse and backwoods have said thanks

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,338 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted January 06, 2013 - 10:22 PM

On the wheels or in them it's pretty much whatever you can bolt on but on the tractor, If there are bearings in the housing, it's not a big a deal, but if there are bushings to support the load, damage can occur fairly quickly.

I know this is an LT, but it is a good example of what can happen with long time overloading of the axles.
http://gardentractor...but/#entry18241

Just dont want anyone to hurt their pride and joy...

#6 wawcub47 OFFLINE  

wawcub47

• Member No: 852
  • 68 Thanks
  • 167 posts

Posted January 06, 2013 - 10:23 PM

I have a 70 with dual 6-12 ag tires 1 pair of cub weights and me. i go about 195lbs. havent had any problems yet.

#7 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted January 06, 2013 - 10:28 PM

Cub rear ends are the heaviest built of all the garden tractor brands, with exception of maybe Power King. Cub used the same rear end as did the big Cub tractor, just used shorter axles.

You are basically correct and I mean NO disrespect to your post but just to clarify for Geno on the gear drive Cub Cadets they used the same tranny case and internal gears and countershaft as the Cub tractor.  The input shaft was completely different on a Cub Tractor.  It extended out the front of the case several feet to go thru the torque tube of the tractor to the engine clutch.  The Cub Cadet gear drives have an added gear reduction bolted on the front of the transmission case which the Cub tractor lacks to reduce the input speed from the 3600 RPM of a small air cooled engine to a more similar speed of the Cub tractor.  The 129 that he has is a whole different animal entirely and the only thing it shares in common with the Cub tractor or a gear drive Cub Cadet is it's ring and pinion.  The transmission case on a hydro is completely different from a gear drive or Cub tractor but JUST as stout.

Edited by IHCubGuy, January 06, 2013 - 10:34 PM.

• Alc and Texas Deere and Horse have said thanks

#8 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted January 06, 2013 - 10:44 PM

Slow and steady wins the race! Sound to me like maybe you are asking a lot of the tractor. Spinning tires usually means you are trying to push to much all at once. I use very little weight on the back of my Case tractors about 200 pounds, I plow or blow with the storm. Usually I hit it after about 4" is on the ground, I'm also either pushing or blowing a driveway that's a little over 500' and another area that's about 4500 sq ft, rarely do I spin the tires, maybe a little at the end after a town truck fills the end with wet stuff.

P.S. Years ago I used to plow lots with big trucks and if we didn't plow with the storm, lots would take hours longer and also seams like there would be more equipment failures too by waiting until the end.

#9 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 06, 2013 - 10:47 PM

You are basically correct and I mean NO disrespect to your post but just to clarify for Geno on the gear drive Cub Cadets they used the same tranny case and internal gears and countershaft as the Cub tractor.  The input shaft was completely different on a Cub Tractor.  It extended out the front of the case several feet to go thru the torque tube of the tractor to the engine clutch.  The Cub Cadet gear drives have an added gear reduction bolted on the front of the transmission case which the Cub tractor lacks to reduce the input speed from the 3600 RPM of a small air cooled engine to a more similar speed of the Cub tractor.  The 129 that he has is a whole different animal entirely and the only thing it shares in common with the Cub tractor or a gear drive Cub Cadet is it's ring and pinion.  The transmission case on a hydro is completely different from a gear drive or Cub tractor but JUST as stout.

Thank you for reminding me that this is a Hydro 129, for some reason I thought he was talking about a gear drive Cub.

#10 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted January 06, 2013 - 10:51 PM

Thank you for reminding me that this is a Hydro 129, for some reason I thought he was talking about a gear drive Cub.

Not a problem.  No doubt you will be correcting me in the future on something. :D

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#11 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 06, 2013 - 10:53 PM

Not a problem.  No doubt you will be correcting me in the future on something. :D

I seriously doubt that, you have a great knowledge of the Cubs, I on the other hand don't. :wallbanging:

#12 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 03:06 AM

My Mother-in law!

imagesCAGKO7PC.jpg

#13 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 06:51 AM

How about just getting some less aggresive chains....I have a set of cable straps that work well and do no damage.

#14 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 07:04 AM

It is all about the almighty dollar. I had these chains fall in my lap. They were used on police cars years ago and when it came time to get rid of them the dumpster was the choice.  

Slow and steady wins the race! Sound to me like maybe you are asking a lot of the tractor. Spinning tires usually means you are trying to push to much all at once. I use very little weight on the back of my Case tractors about 200 pounds, I plow or blow with the storm. Usually I hit it after about 4" is on the ground, I'm also either pushing or blowing a driveway that's a little over 500' and another area that's about 4500 sq ft, rarely do I spin the tires, maybe a little at the end after a town truck fills the end with wet stuff.

P.S. Years ago I used to plow lots with big trucks and if we didn't plow with the storm, lots would take hours longer and also seams like there would be more equipment failures too by waiting until the end.

Unfortunately the snow gets moved when I get away from work and most of the time it is all done it seems.I plow snow on the streets and that holds me until storm is done usually. The 129 does push a lot of snow well. No complaints on the tractors ability. Just looking for more traction.

Geno