• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted January 06, 2013 - 09:40 PM

Pops lent me an old chainfall last year to help me in re-working some stuff on the loader here. I sandblasted it, and re- painted the chainfall so it would look nice as well as weather the elements. Sure is a heavy sun of a gun, and it took yet another " Midget " chainfall to hoist the 1 ton into place into the white oak gantry built outside my garage. Turns out the " Midget " was my uncles, long since deceased , and I am proud to use it now. Man , the " General " is heavy, only rated at 1 ton, but what a silver beast.

I think the pics say it better than I can right now , as my back is a little bent outta shape just from making the final hookups up high...

Just though I would share, as the Case 648 hangs in the air like a big wind- chime tonight, ready for some work on it. :-)

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC03717.JPG
  • DSC03719.JPG
  • DSC03720.JPG
  • DSC03730.JPG
  • DSC03727.JPG

• MH81, boyscout862 and UncleWillie have said thanks

#2 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,433 posts

Posted January 06, 2013 - 10:08 PM

wow it looks heavy

#3 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted January 06, 2013 - 10:33 PM

yep sure is ^^^

#4 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted January 06, 2013 - 10:49 PM

Little better than a Harbor Freight one  :thumbs: 

Funny how 50+ year old stuff holds up and still works compared to most new stuff, regardless of brand.

• boyscout862 and dodge trucker have said thanks

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,377 Thanks
  • 39,645 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 03:59 AM

If I ever get a skyhook, I'll see about getting one of those!

#6 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 05:29 AM

When you get a skyhook,let me know where you found it.I see one of those as being very handy,and I want one. :D :D :D :D

#7 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,750 Thanks
  • 7,521 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 07:45 AM

Little better than a Harbor Freight one  :thumbs:

Funny how 50+ year old stuff holds up and still works compared to most new stuff, regardless of brand.

Amen!

#8 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,731 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 07:03 PM

I sold a 5 ton that I got for scrap. The guy said that it was seized up so it sat in the field for about 5 years because I honestly forgot about it. Well once I found it again I was just going to take the chain off of it and sell the aluminum body for scrap. Thing weighed about 150 pounds. I got it up the hill and started looking at it and it wasn't frozen. It was full of acorns. Some squirrel had stored his stash in it and jammed the mechanism. I though about keeping it but it was too freaking huge. It had a 40 foot lift on it and my gantry is only 10 feet tall.

I listed it on CL and a guy came to get it. I had it up on my gantry crane hanging from the small 2 ton chain fall. The guy wanted to pick it up and carry it to his truck. I lowered it down to where he could reach the body and said go ahead. I thought he was gonna blow his eyeballs out of his head. I finally convinced him to back his truck under the gantry and I swung it under his camper shell.

I wonder what his doctors said to him the next morning when he showed up with one teste the size of a cantaloupe.

• marlboro180 said thank you

#9 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted January 12, 2013 - 07:41 PM

I hear what you are saying ' Wagon, the biggun weighs a bunch. All iron/ steel, with that  said I can throw a 100#  sack over my shoulder, and pass it over to the next guy with little issue. Though with this bugger, it took all of what I have to raise it into place the first time into the gantry.  ( and I am a little wiry guy LOL )

Did ya happen to offer the guy who bought yours a spare acorn to spare him a trip to the doc? :rolling:

#10 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,731 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted January 12, 2013 - 08:01 PM

LOL no acorns. Never even thought of that. He didn't believe me when I said it was too heavy and too awkward to lift. I can get close to 200 on my shoulder and walk off with it, but with those long chains it was a no go. I did pick it up off the ground and set it on the trailer while my wife carried the chains, but I didn't want to lift it again.

• marlboro180 said thank you

#11 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted January 12, 2013 - 09:26 PM

That is how I felt after lifting mine into the gantry,  " Yep, this one time only"  g r uuu  uuu nt... LOL