9 replies to this topic

#1 Bob IN OFFLINE  

Bob IN
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24042
  • 1,473 Thanks
  • 676 posts

Posted January 06, 2013 - 06:15 PM

I bought a Sam beech and sons Endless tread tractor. It is all original. The rubber pads are starting to get hard and are falling off. Please tell me all you know about them. I have found almost no info on them. Any suggestions for new pads?

Thanks all.

#2 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted January 06, 2013 - 07:02 PM

I can't say I've heard of them. But, the term "endless tread" seems familiar. Is it a tracked tractor? If the issue is that the vulcanized rubber pads are coming undone and separating from the steel, I would suggest using west system two part epoxy, it may work. I've recently used it on my ford LGT 125 seat pan mounts and was happy with the results. Got any pictures? Joe

#3 Kurtee OFFLINE  

Kurtee

• Member No: 7561
  • 463 Thanks
  • 415 posts

Posted January 06, 2013 - 07:15 PM

Hi,

Found a couple links for ya. As far as rubber tread goes I would go to a tire retreader and see if they would sell some tread material to make new treads. I have a local distributor that I have a working relationship with and haveing seen what they use I think that you could make that work fairly easy.  They use different thicknesses, widths, and tread patterns depending on what tires they are capping. Good luck

http://www.freepaten....com/2529369.pdf

http://beachynews.bl...22_archive.html

#4 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,715 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 10:40 AM

Bob, welcome to the forum. I see you already spotted the endless tread in the whazzat forum. Seems like they made a bunch of different style of track cleats for these. I doubt the rubber pads were ever too soft to begin with. There used to be guys making rubber cleats for the big steel wheel tractors. You'll probably need something like that for the track pads.

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#5 mrf1002u OFFLINE  

mrf1002u
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10345
  • 95 Thanks
  • 162 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 03:55 PM

I was going to suggest bolting them on by countersinking the bolt or screw heads. Not sure if you have all the pads or not.  The pic in the post above actually looks like they may have done it to that one. If you look close, one of the pads in the front seems to have shiny bolt heads catching the sun.  If you did it with a jig and got them consistent, I doubt that most people would even question whether it was standard equipment or not.

#6 mrf1002u OFFLINE  

mrf1002u
  • Contributor
  • 95 Thanks
  • 162 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 03:57 PM

P.S.   This is a local place that has huge amounts of stuff in rubber.  Might have something that you could make work.

http://www.hechtrubber.com/Home/

• Bob IN said thank you

#7 mrf1002u OFFLINE  

mrf1002u
  • Contributor
  • 95 Thanks
  • 162 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 04:00 PM

P.S.S.  They also do custom work to your specs.

#8 traktrjorj OFFLINE  

traktrjorj

• Contributor
  • Member No: 66
  • 45 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted January 12, 2013 - 10:25 PM

In the coming months the VGTCOA newsletter will be highlighting the Sam Beachy Endless Tread. Not sure if it will be the next issue or the one following but it will be including all the history of this single tracked unit and will also include the double track unit of which there were very few made. Included is a photo of my Beachy Endless Tread at home 

Attached Thumbnails

• ET Screen saver.jpg

• DougT said thank you

#9 HALFSCALE OFFLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4343
  • 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted January 15, 2013 - 04:18 PM

Mine is a green one like traktrjorj, I have seen yellow and red ,which I believe are newer years. because they had more sheet metal on them

They were built in western Maryland ,close to the Pa border.

I've never seen any other attatchment other than cultivators, but it's not a user freindly tractor ,they run way to fast to cultivate

I have seen an advertisement for a knock off that is being made today.

#10 happyfoot OFFLINE  

happyfoot
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 19133
  • 7 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted January 28, 2013 - 11:07 PM

What a great machine you have Traktrjorj! Never have found one of those yet. I have a friend in Ohio with a big heavy track machine. Been trying to get him to part with it. Don't even know what the maker name is. I just know I like it.

Bob, we would love to see some pics of your Sam Beech  Endless track machine.

Been a few years back they had a bunch of these endless track machines at the Pontiac Steam Show.

Steve

• traktrjorj said thank you