61 replies to this topic

#16 jim knutson OFFLINE  

jim knutson
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 15368
  • 66 Thanks
  • 136 posts

Posted January 06, 2013 - 03:57 PM

i would like a general concensus, or opinions, on the cable steer set-up on my Bean Cutler. should i stay with the original cable steer on it, or find the parts to convert it over to chain. the machine does have the 3 groove pulley set-up for the drive, so i am not sure on if i should leave the steering, or "update" it like the factory would have if it was called in for the change. thanks- Jim.

#17 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,213 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted January 06, 2013 - 04:17 PM

i would like a general concensus, or opinions, on the cable steer set-up on my Bean Cutler. should i stay with the original cable steer on it, or find the parts to convert it over to chain. the machine does have the 3 groove pulley set-up for the drive, so i am not sure on if i should leave the steering, or "update" it like the factory would have if it was called in for the change. thanks- Jim.

I would leave it with the cable steering.

#18 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted January 06, 2013 - 04:18 PM

:ditto:

If at all possible I'd stick with keeping parts original

#19 jdcrawler OFFLINE  

jdcrawler

tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1639
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 1,724 posts

Posted January 06, 2013 - 04:37 PM

The drive on the Bean Cutlers were "updated" from the flat belt to the V-belt because the V-belts did not slip like the flat belt did.

I can attest to this being a problem because the flat belt on my Bean Cutler slips very easily and the drive on my Ridemasters don't slip at all.

That's OK though because I don't drive the Bean Cutler at the shows because of the reel movers being attached to it.

From what I understand, this is also true with the cable steering being updated to the chain steering because the cable has a tendency to bind.

During the production period, the tractors came from the factory with both the cable and chain steering and many of the tractors with cable steering were updated to the chain steering so either way is still "original".

So I would think the final decision on updating the steering would depend on how much you plan on driving the tractor around.

Edited by jdcrawler, January 06, 2013 - 05:14 PM.

#20 jim knutson OFFLINE  

jim knutson
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 66 Thanks
  • 136 posts

Posted January 06, 2013 - 05:05 PM

The drive on the Bean Cutlers were "updated" from the flat belt to the V-belt because the V-belts did not slip like the flat belt did.

I can attest to this being a problem because the flat belt on my Bean Cutler slips very easily and the drive on my Ridemasters don't slip at all.

That's OK though because I don't drive the Bean Cutler at the shows because of the reel movers being attached to it.

From what I understand, this is also true with the cable steering being updated to the chain steering because the cable has a tendency to bind.

So I would think the final decision on updating the steering would depend on how much you plan on driving the tractor around.

Ray, you have a good point. i am planning on using it for whatever i can, and having the chain steer update would be nice. it also has the v-belt update, so i would think that the steering upgrade would not be out of line with "original", especially if i use it in actual work conditions.

Jerome, i also think that keeping it that way would be neat, however, i plan on working it whenever i can. that being said, i think updating the steering may be beneficial to me.

thanks to all so far for your input.

#21 jdcrawler OFFLINE  

jdcrawler

tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1639
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 1,724 posts

Posted January 06, 2013 - 05:11 PM

Jim

I would be very interested in working out a deal for trading my Bean Cutler chain steering system for your cable steering system.

#22 jim knutson OFFLINE  

jim knutson
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 66 Thanks
  • 136 posts

Posted January 06, 2013 - 05:37 PM

i was also able to use a little lemon juice, and a scrub pad to reveal the serial number better:

bean cutler better serial#.JPG

looks to be  J32526

#23 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1920
  • 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted January 06, 2013 - 05:59 PM

igot the lagc magazine yesterday an there was a beautiful beam cutler in there with a 3gang reel mower on it

• jdcrawler said thank you

#24 jim knutson OFFLINE  

jim knutson
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 66 Thanks
  • 136 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 11:39 PM

just got home from picking up the one that was listed on craigslist almost 2 years ago, here in Salem, Oregon. wheels are not rusted out, has v-belt drive, cable steer, and some implements that i am not convinced go to it, and an AKS that is not froze up :camera:  tomorrow when its daytime.

Edited by jim knutson, January 09, 2013 - 09:10 PM.

#25 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,213 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 11:43 PM

just got home from picking up the one that was listed on craigslist a year ago, here in Salem, Oregon. wheels are not rusted out, has v-belt drive, cable steer, and some implements that i am not convinced go to it, and an AKS that is not froze up :camera:  tomorrow when its daytime.

Well that was the one I was calling to get the implements for you and I. :D

#26 jim knutson OFFLINE  

jim knutson
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 66 Thanks
  • 136 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 11:51 PM

Well that was the one I was calling to get the implements for you and I. :D

Jerome, i will take pics tomorrow, like i said, i am not sure that they are for it or not....maybe i can get help to confirm or deny that they got to it.

#27 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,213 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 11:53 PM

Jerome, i will take pics tomorrow, like i said, i am not sure that they are for it or not....maybe i can get help to confirm or deny that they got to it.

Ray and I can ID them. :D

#28 jim knutson OFFLINE  

jim knutson
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 66 Thanks
  • 136 posts

Posted January 09, 2013 - 12:00 AM

great, the disks are 3 gang on each side, but have been used with some sort of 3point set-up. there is a disk too, hopefully it is the correct one, and then it has some other attatchment on the machine now, i dont know what to call them. all in all i am very pleased, at least the tractor is complete front to back. the AKS engine is serial #1007368.....pulls up as a 1947.

Edited by jim knutson, January 09, 2013 - 12:03 AM.

#29 jim knutson OFFLINE  

jim knutson
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 66 Thanks
  • 136 posts

Posted January 09, 2013 - 12:39 PM

well i finally got a good look and pics here in the daylight:

bc engine.JPG

bc1.JPG bc2.JPG bc3.JPG bc4.JPG bc5.JPG bc6.JPG bc7.JPG bc8.JPG bc9.JPG bc10.JPG bc11.JPG bc12.JPG bc13.JPG bc14.JPG bc15.JPG

now the attatchments, again i am not sure what if any of tghem are correct:

bc current attatchment.JPG bc current attatchment2.JPG bc disk.JPG bc disk2.JPG bc disk3.JPG bc plow.JPG bc plow2.JPG bc plow3.JPG

well, i hope you all can help me confirm/deny the implements as proper or not....the disk does not look right to me, but has been modified to use on a 3pt set-up. thanks for comments or help- Jim.

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#30 jim knutson OFFLINE  

jim knutson
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 66 Thanks
  • 136 posts

Posted January 09, 2013 - 01:18 PM

engine lift plate is not froze up :D  and is moving freely from engage to neutral, and reverse with no problem. rear tires are holding air (for now) and the lift bar for the implement is in good working order. the engine is missing the air cleaner assy, so i need to hunt one down, and the fuel tank is solid, but is a later model replacement. i hope to try and fire it this weekend :thumbs: , as long as i dont have any major unforseen issues. can anyone direct me to a carb rebuild kit # for it? thanks- Jim.