17 replies to this topic

#16 jtrojek OFFLINE  

jtrojek
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8084
  • 1,013 Thanks
  • 547 posts

Posted June 15, 2014 - 03:40 PM

I have a head gasket leak on this machine (It's a Briggs ZZP).  It still starts first pull, runs okay, and idles super low, but after it warms up, it starts bubbling from underneath a head bolt and will spray you with some nice hot oil.  Nice.  Anyway, today I took the head off to see what the issue is.  It appears that the head was repaired at some point, I'd say, and I'm guessing that's the problem as that's where the leak is.  I was going to try some of that copper spray to see if that does the trick and seals it up.  Anyone here tried it before?  I know an old-timer told me that they always used aluminum paint and just painted the gasket.  I've read that aluminum paint isn't what it used to be (what is?) so I thought I'd try this copper spray stuff that I hear people talk about as it's meant for just this purpose.  I figured I'd give it a go and see what happens.  If it doesn't work then I guess I'll take the head in to have it machined.  I'd like to try the budget friendly option first as this is just one of my many projects on my to-do list, and it does seem to run nicely regardless of the leak (other than it's fairly gutless, likely due to the head gasket leak - but that doesn't really matter as I don't work it, just use it for cruising).  Any insight into this copper spray stuff, how well it works, how to use it, etc.  As I said, I hear a lot of people swear by it, but I've never tried it.

Economy Head.jpg

Edited by jtrojek, June 15, 2014 - 03:42 PM.

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner said thank you

#17 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted June 18, 2014 - 06:26 PM

Would think a head not too hard to find?  You could try the sandpaper on a flat glass or surface trick. You lay it down on paper and press equally as you can, and move back and forth. Check to see where it is wearing off and not hitting then. Would have to do it long enough to make all surface touch the paper. If too deep, would require a surfacing then.  That copper gasket stuff was a rage for racer types I recall, but don't hear much anymore about it. I think it is only the HELP seal, won't really fill in bad areas or nothing like that. I hope you are using NEW gasket too? If you find that, maybe same vendor would have a diff head to work with. 

#18 jtrojek OFFLINE  

jtrojek
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8084
  • 1,013 Thanks
  • 547 posts

Posted June 22, 2014 - 07:13 PM

Going to look for a good used head. I started sanding it and noticed a crack. I'm thinking it's better just to find a decent used head. I'm also guessing that's the crack that was allowing it to leak out the head bolt. It was hidden until I sanded it.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20140622_195350.jpg