17 replies to this topic

#1 jtrojek OFFLINE  

jtrojek
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8084
  • 1,021 Thanks
  • 550 posts

Posted January 05, 2013 - 05:41 PM

I'm looking at an Economy chain steer tractor, and I think that it's a serial number 338, if I remember correctly (the owner painted the number on the gas tank, in addition to it being on the data tag on the tractor).  I know that it's missing the brake assembly.  Actually, he said that he has a bunch of parts for the brakes, but he's missing the cast housing that bolts the brakes onto the axle (which I'm guessing it impossible to find).  Anyway, is there anything else that you can see that's wrong, incorrect, or missing?  I'm thinking about picking it up, but I'd have to sell my Beaver to do it.  I don't really want to sell my Beaver, but I like the Economy too and I'm wondering if the Economy is a better investment.  I like them both.  My kids are voting for the Economy.  How many of the chain steers were made?  Are they very hard to come by?  I don't know much about Economy tractors, so I'm turning to the experts.  The tractor ran three years ago and has good rubber.  Sorry about the bad picture.  I'm thinking I should go back to take a better look at it as it was a little buried in the corner and I didn't spend that much time looking at it.  I thought I'd learn more before I went back.  It's not advertised so it's not going anywhere.  Lastly, how much do they typically sell for?  Anyone seen any come up lately to give me a ballpark?

107.jpg

#2 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted January 05, 2013 - 06:25 PM

Wow, that's probably one of the finer examples of a 1947 Economy that I think I've seen.  Best I can estimate, there were arounf 1500 of these made.  It's really hard to tell but that would definetely be a maximum number.  There's a post around here somewhere that will have a list of places where you can get parts.  You should be able to come up with them.  As for price, I wouldn't even want to venture a guess.  I mean, it has the padding on the seat!  Whether or not its original, you almost never see that.

What are you selling?  A Baird Beaver?  They don't take up much room.

#3 jtrojek OFFLINE  

jtrojek
  • Contributor
  • 1,021 Thanks
  • 550 posts

Posted January 05, 2013 - 07:14 PM

That's good to know that I may be able to find the parts for the brakes.  I didn't think there would be any chance to find the cast (or whatever they are) housings that cover the brakes.  I figured that was going to be a long shot, if ever.  Regardless, it runs and drives fine, he said.  It's just not his thing.  He's a big Gibson collector.  He's asking $1000, but I think he's flexible on price.  He said, "money talks."  I also just found the other picture I took.

IMG-20130104-00128.jpg

In order to buy this piece, I'd need to sell my Baird Beaver.  It's a nice '53/'54 and I have a plow and cultivator for it (pictures of it are in the "Other" section of the Forum - posted them awhile back) .  I would want to try to sell one to pay for the other so that I can essentially just swap.  That's the goal.  I want to see if I can get the Economy for $700-$800.  Is that reasonable, in your opinion?  I hate getting rid of pieces, but unforutnately, that's what I have to do.  Limited budget, and so many different tractors I'd like to experience ....

#4 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted January 05, 2013 - 07:20 PM

I think if you could get that tractor for $700 or $800 you would be doing very well.  Sure, its use is limited but you just want it for fun.  As for an investment, there are very few of these old tractors that are actually an investment.  The payback is strictly in fun and frustration.  I think you might be asking a bit much for that Beaver to pay for the Economy to be honest but I haven't seen the Beaver either.

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted January 05, 2013 - 08:34 PM

Bill Cunningham on the yahoo pk forums is the man who knows those tractors well. Might wanna join and ask. There is also a register for those there if interested.  Looks like a cast steering wheel, that is good. Seat padded is rare as noted. Wheel type and axle/hubs are odd 22" many times and splined axles some years. Brakes can be a few diff styles. Should be hand brakes, but might be on the drop case shafts or even way out on hubs in some cases. That low of number would bring a higher price.

#6 EconChuck OFFLINE  

EconChuck
  • Member No: 18979
  • 251 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted January 05, 2013 - 08:44 PM

Hi,

Some of the very early ones did not have brakes.
If it has the extensions of the "axles" that protrude through the upper area of the bull gear housing then it probably should have brake. This is the shaft that the brake drums would mount on. If there is no hsaft sticking through the upper area of the bull gear, then no brakes came on that model from the factory. I'm not sure that I would want one without brakes!

If it is missing some parts, you should be able to find the,.

I think at $700-800 it would be a good buy.

Chuck

#7 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted January 05, 2013 - 08:52 PM

Other then the brakes it looks to be complete, and brakes should not be hard to find; MOST Power King parts are interchangeable.

Just my opinion, it looks like it was painted at one time. I think that the steering wheel, steering chain, and pulley on the engine came polished; the gas cap and bolts are also painted. I could be wrong about that though.

I agree with the others that 700-800 is a fair price.

#8 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted January 05, 2013 - 09:49 PM

Hi,

Some of the very early ones did not have brakes.
If it has the extensions of the "axles" that protrude through the upper area of the bull gear housing then it probably should have brake. This is the shaft that the brake drums would mount on. If there is no hsaft sticking through the upper area of the bull gear, then no brakes came on that model from the factory. I'm not sure that I would want one without brakes!

If it is missing some parts, you should be able to find the,.

I think at $700-800 it would be a good buy.

Chuck

Excellent point about the brakes Chuck.  I was going to bring that up but I am under the impression that only the 46 model year came with no brakes.  I could be wrong about that as its hard to tell with these folks but it was definetely worth mentioning. 

I know you refered to the yahoo group for info and that's fine.  They have a good amount of information and are very helpful.  I just hope you stick with us as well and help us to become yet another good source for information.  Get in on the ground level as they say.  We're glad you are here.

#9 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted January 05, 2013 - 10:16 PM

Brakes looked to be a standard item around serial "#240.

#10 jtrojek OFFLINE  

jtrojek
  • Contributor
  • 1,021 Thanks
  • 550 posts

Posted January 06, 2013 - 04:12 AM

Thanks for all of the good information so far, everyone.  I'm learning quite a bit.  I will contact Bill as well.  If I end up purchasing the tractor, then I will likely join that forum as well, but I fully intend to stay on this forum as I have a number of different brands of tractors that I'm interested in, and other brands of tractors that I own.  I still haven't found a particular brand that I would like to exclusively collect, so consequently I have a variety of tractors.  There are too many really neat, different types of tractors out there to experience.  Regardless, thanks for all of the help so far.  I'm hoping to go look at the tractor again sometime this week.  We'll see what happens, but I'm hopeful that it all works out.

#11 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 04:20 PM

I just looked at the picture again, and you can see that it has a brake drum.

#12 jtrojek OFFLINE  

jtrojek
  • Contributor
  • 1,021 Thanks
  • 550 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 05:48 AM

It took a little while, but I finally picked up this chain steer and got it home.

DSCN2896.JPG

DSCN2897.JPG

DSCN2898.JPG

DSCN2899.JPG

DSCN2900.JPG

DSCN2901.JPG

• Columbia236 said thank you

#13 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 02:08 PM

That's a nice tractor.I don't think that steering wheel has shown up on any other chain steer tractors that I have seen but it still may have been a factory wheel,that's what makes these tractors interesting.Is the wheel steel or aluminum?

Did you get your brakes figured out?

• tractorgarden said thank you

#14 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 03:05 PM

Looks good! Congrats!

I have not seen a steering like that either.

• tractorgarden said thank you

#15 EconChuck OFFLINE  

EconChuck
  • Member No: 18979
  • 251 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 07:56 PM

Very nice and worth the wait.
Congrats.

Chuck