• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,486 Thanks
  • 39,722 posts

Posted January 06, 2013 - 11:17 AM

Gee no one likes my idea for storage even though it is the only one that increases tractor storage too. :mad2: Gee I sometimes think you people don't appreciate my genius. :dancingbanana:

Honestly though

:nothingtoadd:

I think it's a great idea. He probably does too, but his wife may not!

#47 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted January 06, 2013 - 11:21 AM

Uncle Willie, your idea is just fine. My only problem with it is I live in town, and the neighborhood is tight. Not sure the neighbors would appreciate a big blue tarp coming off the back on the garage. This town is pretty particuliar in what is being shown in homeowners yards. I like the idea, but I think I will only use that as a last resort.

#48 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,765 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted January 06, 2013 - 11:24 AM

Blue, yellow, Camouflage whatever fits in with you color scheme.

I have also found that shoot the first person who complains cuts down on future complaints. :cowboy_shooter: YMMV.

• johndeereelfman said thank you

#49 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted January 06, 2013 - 11:26 AM

Guys, your ideas are really good. I think I'll just go with the route of adding more joists to beef up the attic floor, and try to spread the tires and wheels around the perimeter of the walls a little better.

I appreciate everyones ideas, and Thank You all for posting them. I'll take some pictures this afternoon of what I have, just so you all can see what I have to deal with.

• KennyP said thank you

#50 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,765 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted January 06, 2013 - 11:27 AM

SO the warden is going to let you go out and take pics or are you going to have to chew through the chains to get out.

#51 larryd OFFLINE  

larryd
  • Member No: 15865
  • 724 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted January 06, 2013 - 11:29 AM

My neighbor where I movwed from had a storage problem with all his equipment and toys. So he built a 40x8o shop .

He soon ran out of room. He built a lean to on north side which ended being enclosed and turned into a small kitchen, drawing room leather shop and a laundryand shower and toilet. so he built a leanto on the south side , stacks his fire wood along wall full length of wall . parks his old knock around isusu under their and his colorado and fishing boat. But he still only has only about a 20 x 20  workspace in the shop.

So the old saaying is your shop is never big enough.

larryd

• KennyP and johndeereelfman have said thanks

#52 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted January 06, 2013 - 11:57 AM

are we still getting pics of the space that you have to work with? to help give us ideas?

#53 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,765 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted January 06, 2013 - 12:05 PM

I did security in a cardboard box plant that was closing and was having all the equipment removed. It was a huge building that I always thought would have made a terrific shop. although I bet I could have filled that up too.

#54 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted January 06, 2013 - 01:12 PM

House and Garage Pictures 092.JPG House and Garage Pictures 093.JPG House and Garage Pictures 094.JPG House and Garage Pictures 095.JPG

Ok, here are some pictures of the existing joists. Nothing fancy, plain and simple. Since they are the old timbers, they measure the full 2" thick and 8" high. Not sure if you can see the crack that developed in the main supporting beam or not, but I have added a support post below this. Again, I don't know if the crack was always there, or if it just happened since we moved in, but I'm not taking any chances. I'm thinking it just happened.

House and Garage Pictures 097.JPG

Here is a picture of the garage attic where I have the tires and rims stored now. The tires that have rims in them, are back against the wall, as most of the plain tires are more out towards the middle of the floor.

House and Garage Pictures 100.JPG House and Garage Pictures 101.JPG

As you can see from these pictures, the garage is quite full. After I blew the calf muscle out, I had friends and family help move the remaining items up from the old house, and as you can see, they just stuck stuff whereever they could. After I get this leg all healed up, I'm hoping to spend a couple of days reorganizing, and making room. When and if that day comes, we'll reflect back to these pictures to see how I did! :D

#55 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,486 Thanks
  • 39,722 posts

Posted January 06, 2013 - 01:56 PM

The crack is in pic #3? Is that the 4X4 that is in pic #1? Are those doors behind the 4X4?

#56 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted January 06, 2013 - 02:16 PM

Kenny, yes, yes, and yes to all three questions. The white doors that you see in picture #1, behind the post that I put up, used to be operable man doors. The previous owner boarded them up from the outside, and since they both swing in towards the garage, I was hoping to make that area a small display case to hold all of my John Deere oil can and Garden Tractor memorabilia. I really don't want to keep the support post the way it is now, so I'll have to come up with a plan of changing the support. I could always cut the doors down a little if need be. 

#57 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted January 06, 2013 - 02:18 PM

well after your able to get out there take your time to get everything organized, it looks like its a good size space you have to work with. if it was me id wait till its warm out pull everything out and slowy put things back in and that way its organized.

#58 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,486 Thanks
  • 39,722 posts

Posted January 06, 2013 - 02:47 PM

Kenny, yes, yes, and yes to all three questions. The white doors that you see in picture #1, behind the post that I put up, used to be operable man doors. The previous owner boarded them up from the outside, and since they both swing in towards the garage, I was hoping to make that area a small display case to hold all of my John Deere oil can and Garden Tractor memorabilia. I really don't want to keep the support post the way it is now, so I'll have to come up with a plan of changing the support. I could always cut the doors down a little if need be. 

Then that cracked board is over a header. You may have to beef that header up for the extra weight. Once you are well, see if there is a way to run a string line across there a certain distance down at both ends. Then measure up to the joists. bet you will see a sag there. Years ago, they didn't make headers near strong enough, nor anything under the ends to hold them up like today's building codes.

#59 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted January 06, 2013 - 02:54 PM

Boy, and people say I have a lot of stuff in my garage!!   :rolling:  :rolling:  :rolling:

Just kidding!!  Good luck with healing up the leg and then tackling that storage issue.

Geno

#60 pwombles OFFLINE  

pwombles

• Member No: 7101
  • 200 Thanks
  • 220 posts

Posted January 06, 2013 - 05:22 PM

So I looked at your pics, and yes, your header in the middle is acting also as a support beam, basically more to join 2 sets of joists. your crack is in tha header, so I would use the stringline as said previously and jack a bit. It would be really good if you laminated a new header from 2x10's ,3 wide and put it underneath the old header, 6x6 on each end and one in the middle and then the tires should be ok. String the joists and see how bad they sag. they all should be sagging a bit because over time, thats just what happens. If you desire, glue and screw one alongside each one or every other. Ifthey are a true 2" , they still should be ok. places to look at the most are the ends. thats where the weight is being transferred. look for cracks there. Might glue and screw an additional 2x underneath the tails.