Garden Tractor Forums banner

Extra Tire Storage

4K views 60 replies 18 participants last post by  UncleWillie 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Ok Guys,

Since I have some time to kill, and will need to organize the garage come Spring. I thought I'd pick your brains for ideas as to how you store your unused tires. Some guys have extra tires and wheels that they swap out for Summer and Winter usage, or for mowing and plowing, but where do you put them when not in use? Do you just stack them up in a corner, lay them up across the rafters, what do you do?

At the old place, I had enough wall room, that I built myself a rack that hung from the wall. The tires were stored vertically, and high enough to be out of the way. My new garage doesn't have the wall space that the old shed had, so I'm searching for ways to store them, hopefully in a manner that I won't have to keep moving them, or that they won't be in the way all of the time. As of right now, they are all stored in the attic space of the garage, and I'm afraid it's too much weight. I don't want to take a chance of the floor joists giving out.

Keep in mind, I'm needing to store around fifty wheels. Some tires and rims combined, some just tires, and some just rims.

#2 ·
Have you thought about stacking them in the living room? :rolling: :rolling: Seriously, that would probably get me single again. if I were doing that, I would make a rack on the wall of the garage up high to store them on kind of like how they do at tire stores. Just a gusset on each end with a 2x4 along the front and stand them up on that.

#3 ·
I have several tire racks built from 2x4s and that houses 24 tires of 6-12 size. I would love to have a rolling tire rack for the ones I use a lot. I mostly have tires and wheels squirreled everywhere in my shop... I dunno Troy, you have to find your own method. In the trusses is good, but I agree on heavy option. You could stack them in the corners but I always found I need the one on the bottom LOL.

#4 ·
That's what I had built in the old shed Ronnie, but this new garage won't give me that type of room. Most of what I have are equal parts of work tires and show tires. The tires that are currently on all of my tractors are mostly original. I like to keep a variety of tires and rims, as you never know what type of work you'll be doing with the tractors from one day to the next. I don't use my show tires for any type of work, and of course, the work tires don't get used for shows. The originals that are on the tractors now, I don't want to get rid of either, as they are all pretty decent, and I don't want to take away from the originality of each of the tractors.

The rims are a variety of sizes, for just about all sizes of tires: 6-12, 23x8.50-12, 23x10.50-12, and 26x12-12. Don't know that I'll ever have enough money to put new tires on all of them, but to find some of these rim sizes today, could cost me a small fortune. I just hate to part with them, if I don't have to.

#6 ·
You're exactly right Casey. The one on the bottom, is the one I will always need. We use rolling tire racks made of aluminum tubing, when I work the Nascar races, and one of those holds 16 wheels, each at 15 inches wide. I thought about making one of those type carts, but then again, where do you store that? The wife thinks that all of the wheels should be stacked up outside, with a tarp over them, but then you're opening the door to dry rot. I don't know, I guess I'll just have to come up with some type of plan, and hope it will work. I just wanted to see if anybody out there might have the same situation as I have, and see what they did.

#7 ·
Do you have a basement or cellar?
Thats where I store mine... I figure having them in a cool dry place will prolong their life.

Of course I only have about 10 I'm storing so if you have over 50 this may not be a good idea for you....

#9 ·
I do have a basement Casey, and with concrete floors. I also have a second room in the basement that has a ground floor. The basement has an outside access that leads to the enclosed porch area, which means that, everytime I want to swap out tires, I'd have to go down in the basement, unlock the door from inside, go back upstairs to the enclosed porch, and lift up the outside access door that is part of the porch floor. Also, the house is roughly fifty yards from the garage. Even though I gave the basement a thought like you did, I think I'd like to try and keep the tires and wheels closer to the garage, and not have to go through all that aggrevation all the time.

#10 ·
Thats where I store mine... I figure having them in a cool dry place will prolong their life.

Of course I only have about 10 I'm storing so if you have over 50 this may not be a good idea for you....
Doc,

When storing the tires on the basement floor, do you lay anything down first before stacking them, such as plastic, cardboard or plywood? Another words, laying them on the concrete, do they draw moisture up through the concrete floor? Have you had any problems with your tires dry rotting this way?

#11 ·
Is it time to put a basement in the garage? :rolling:

Troy, that's a pickle. I think if they had the sun kept off them, they would weather OK for a year until you came up with a better plan.

OR how about splitting them up?
The ones you are going to swap & know you will be, leave in the garage... the rest in the basement. Once or twice a year to go thru that, doesnt seem to bad...

#12 ·
Doc,

When storing the tires on the basement floor, do you lay anything down first before stacking them, such as plastic, cardboard or plywood? Another words, laying them on the concrete, do they draw moisture up through the concrete floor? Have you had any problems with your tires dry rotting this way?
They are stacked laying flat on a pallet.

They have been there for about 5 years now and are still in good shape and holding air...

#15 ·
Thanks Doc,

I figured you didn't lay them directly on the concrete. Don't know what it is about concrete, but no matter what you do to try and keep moisture out, it always seems to find a way through. Especially with tires. I used to find a damp water ring under my bottom tire all the time. I stopped laying them flat on concrete two or three years ago.

#16 ·
Yep Cat, that is what I built at my other place. Up and out of the way, and very easy to pull out the tire you wanted, instead of moving the whole stack. Just wish I could do it again here. That method was very nice, with just one problem. Keeping them stored that way, always gave a flat spot on the tires, from the weight. If you didn't drive your tractor around much, it wouldn't bother you, but if you did drive around a lot, mostly on payment, you could tell where the flat spot was.

#23 ·
Troy, have you got out the text books and figured out how much capacity you have in the garage attic floor. It may be fine to leave them as they are. You may be able to arrange them so they are closer to the walls to limit the strain on the roof floor framing or even strengthen the floor by adding an additional support beam.

Reactions: johndeereelfman
#24 ·
Troy, what are the ceiling joists, 2X6? Or 2X4? How far apart? Are they open to the garage side(under side)? If so, you could double them up in the area of the tires and gain some more strength. Putting the tires closer to the walls would help also. I ask for pics, but I realize you can't do that right now.

Reactions: johndeereelfman
#25 ·
Oh yeah, that will go over big with the wife. You're just giving me ideas to see if I'm dumb enough to try it, or to see if I can still out run the wife!
Well, Look @ it this way-- If she gets mad @ leaves ya you can stack them on her side of the bed!! :thumbs:

The wall racks are the best way to go in the shop in my book. As they are small and relatively light it keeps you floor space open. Next- Why do you need 50 spare tires around?? It's a bit much ain't it? :( Maybe get rid of a few would help?? Just sayin' :poke:

#26 · (Edited by Moderator)
OK had another great idea. Bolt long poles to the side of your garage (preferably pointing away from the house) and slide the tires over them. Then hang a big tarp over them and park extra tractors under your tire storage lean to.

See my super detailed architectural drawings below

Edit. My computer doesn't like to attach files so I loaded it to Photobucket so it would actually open

jundurrgarag_zpsb787f9a0.png

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.