#31 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,475 Thanks
  • 2,532 posts

Posted January 05, 2013 - 09:41 PM

Why do you need 50 spare tires around??  It's a bit much ain't it?   :(  Maybe get rid of a few would help??  Just sayin' :poke:

Well,........I guess...... because......you just never know when you might need a couple extra???

#32 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,728 Thanks
  • 7,692 posts

Posted January 05, 2013 - 09:53 PM

That is the song i blast from my stereo when I am cruising the hood.

• johndeereelfman said thank you

#33 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,433 posts

Posted January 05, 2013 - 10:04 PM

That is the song i blast from my stereo when I am cruising the hood.

is that while your hauling a load of scrap home??

#34 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 06, 2013 - 06:08 AM

I store mine in an old mobile home that I got just to store parts in.I built racks to put them on.I never stack tires on top of each other,that tends to flatten then,and makes it harder to seat the bead back on the rim.

#35 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,347 Thanks
  • 39,627 posts

Posted January 06, 2013 - 06:13 AM

Kenny, yes the joists are exposed from the underside. I could actually add extra joists for support. I never even gave that method a thought. The joists right now are the full 2" x 8" timbers, and if memory serves me correctly, I believe they are spaced on 24" centers. I could actually add (2) 2" x 10"s, ripped down to 8" high, and nail them between the existing joists. Thanks Kenny, that just might work!

How long are the joists? Over 16'? On the one that is cracked, take a 2X10 and trim the end to fit next to that joist on the wall (remember, crown up). Use a post and hyd. jack to bring it to a string line stretched across the room and attach it with 3" screws every 12" from both sides (staggering the screws). That will make that into a much stronger beam and help a lot.

• johndeereelfman and pwombles have said thanks

#36 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted January 06, 2013 - 07:08 AM

Have you got room to build a lean-to shed on the back of the garage? You could make it just the right size for tire racks and put your tires and wheels in there.

#37 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 06, 2013 - 07:38 AM

Troy, I was going to suggest that you consider adding a steel beam under the joists. I'm not sure if this is practical. The beams are a bit pricey but you can support them at the ends only, and then have full use of the garage without any posts to deal with. You could also attach a beam hoist which comes in mighty handy for lifting heavy items like... GT's for instance. I think that strengthening the existing floor structure of the attic would be your cheapest alternative for getting extra usable storage space and also keep everything under 1 roof. 

#38 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted January 06, 2013 - 07:38 AM

http://www.homedepot...ve-1390036.html

How long are the joists? Over 16'? On the one that is cracked, take a 2X10 and trim the end to fit next to that joist on the wall (remember, crown up). Use a post and hyd. jack to bring it to a string line stretched across the room and attach it with 3" screws every 12" from both sides (staggering the screws). That will make that into a much stronger beam and help a lot.

Another good way to laminate the new joist, to the old is with PL400. Use a few screws and clamps to hold the

new member in place while it dries.

http://www.homedepot...ve-1390036.html

#39 pwombles OFFLINE  

pwombles

• Member No: 7101
  • 200 Thanks
  • 220 posts

Posted January 06, 2013 - 08:03 AM

Kenny, yes the joists are exposed from the underside. I could actually add extra joists for support. I never even gave that method a thought. The joists right now are the full 2" x 8" timbers, and if memory serves me correctly, I believe they are spaced on 24" centers. I could actually add (2) 2" x 10"s, ripped down to 8" high, and nail them between the existing joists. Thanks Kenny, that just might work!

If your joists are 2x8's, then, depending how long they are, that should be more than adequate to store your tires. Granted, if they are old, and one has cracked, you need to fix that. just nail one along side. otherwise, they should be fine. Im a contractor, and most ceiling joists in garages are 2x4.

#40 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted January 06, 2013 - 08:06 AM

Troy, I was going to suggest that you consider adding a steel beam under the joists. I'm not sure if this is practical. The beams are a bit pricey but you can support them at the ends only, and then have full use of the garage without any posts to deal with. You could also attach a beam hoist which comes in mighty handy for lifting heavy items like... GT's for instance. I think that strengthening the existing floor structure of the attic would be your cheapest alternative for getting extra usable storage space and also keep everything under 1 roof. 

:yeah_that:  :ditto:  

I haven't seen the construction of your shed, but generally the joist across the ceiling is more to hold the walls together rather than support the weight of the roof.  You could check local building codes, there is often a specification about how far a particular size board is allowed to span and still be allowed to support the weight of a living space or a live floor.  That might give you a handle on how sturdy your ceiling joist are.

#41 pwombles OFFLINE  

pwombles

• Member No: 7101
  • 200 Thanks
  • 220 posts

Posted January 06, 2013 - 08:06 AM

if you use pl400, use more than a few screws. stagger them every 16". remember, this joist is structural!

#42 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted January 06, 2013 - 09:53 AM

Why do you need 50 spare tires around?? Get rid of some.

Why do you need 50 spare tires around?? It's a bit much ain't it?

Troy, that sounds familiar, doesn't it??? :rolling:

#43 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,679 Thanks
  • 8,882 posts

Posted January 06, 2013 - 10:35 AM

Troy, I hate to lump on. But, you might need to trim the pile a wee bit. 50?

#44 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted January 06, 2013 - 10:49 AM

Troy,  I think 4 sets per GT is correct. Turfs, ags, turfs w/chains and originals! This way you would always have the right tire for the job!

Now, about that storage issue. The attic to the garage sounds like the best bet. Add a couple joists to the floor and then you can set up a tire elevator of sorts. Put the tires you want on it then lower to ground level and that would also make getting them up there easier.

Geno

#45 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,728 Thanks
  • 7,692 posts

Posted January 06, 2013 - 11:09 AM

Gee no one likes my idea for storage even though it is the only one that increases tractor storage too. :mad2: Gee I sometimes think you people don't appreciate my genius. :dancingbanana:

Honestly though

:nothingtoadd:

• KennyP and johndeereelfman have said thanks