Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

How Strong Does An Actuator Need To Be For Plow Angle?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted January 05, 2013 - 05:08 PM

I acquired a linear actuator and was thinking about using it for plow angle duties. Does anyone know how much force it should have for that chore? It is a warner electric brand. The only markings on it are warner electric and MCSD cast into the bottom of the housing.

I may be able to get another one and was thinking about making a 3-point hitch and using it for lifting duties. Just a thought if another one comes my way.

Geno

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 05, 2013 - 05:21 PM

I have thought of doing this as well. The problem with blade angle using an actuator is not with the force needed to angle the blade but with the force that would be applied to the actuator if the blade fetches up on something. I think it would break most actuators. With a hydraulic cylinder the force is limited by the pressure limit of the hydraulic system. So if you have the blade angled to the left and catch a curb with the right edge, the blade will move when the pressure exceeds the limit. With an actuator in this situation, the force will be placed on the actuator which will not give and if the static load limit is exceeded it will likely be damaged. 

It would be better suited to a blade lift with a mechanical float arrangement IMO.

#3 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,609 posts

Posted January 05, 2013 - 07:46 PM

Geno , you might be able to use an electric actuator if you keep/install a lock mechanism ,  use a rope or cable ect   to release the lock then use the actuator angle the blade until it drops into the next locking point .  Hope I explained it well enough , oh and what Brian said things will break lol ., I broke the hydraulic angle cylinder by hitting a stone wall last year  :wallbanging:  on mine once the handle to angle the blade is released (neutral )  the hydraulic fluid is trapped ,   Al

#4 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted January 06, 2013 - 05:25 PM

I can keep the lock system that is on it and just change the control system for the lock. This will be my summer project. I was not sure if an actuator would work well or not. I know things do break when stationary objects are hit. I plow snow for a municipality in a tandem dump truck with an 11' blade and have blown hyd. cylinders apart and sheared 1 1/4" cylinder mount pins. It rocks your world when the manhole is sticking out of the pavement!!

Geno

#5 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 10:27 PM

As quick and easy as it is to flip my JD 48" plow back and forth with the twist-push-pull manual setup I couldn't even consider an actuator.  I COULD consider making my 10 cart electrically dump from the seat!:D