• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted January 05, 2013 - 02:46 PM

Now that I have Ubuntu 12.10 up and running: I've used TurboTax or H&R Block tax prep software (CD loaded on PC) for a lot of years. Does anyone have any experience with either of those on a Linux-based machine? I guess I could always use either of those "online" versions?

Edited by nra1ifer, January 05, 2013 - 02:46 PM.

#2 dogsoldier OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9589
  • 315 Thanks
  • 490 posts

Posted January 05, 2013 - 04:22 PM

those tax cd's are for windows based pc's. the only way i know of is to use what is called a virtual machine.

i have never used one so im not sure how to help you. when i left windows many years ao those cd's wasnt around. 

here is a google search on virtual machines that may help you http://www.google.co...iw=1024&bih=653

• nra1ifer said thank you

#3 HDWildBill ONLINE  

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,640 Thanks
  • 8,522 posts

Posted January 05, 2013 - 05:12 PM

As DS said you can use a virtual machine but I would try Wine first.  Wine is a windows emulator and most of the big name windows software runs one it.  You can go to the software center and do a search for wine and tell it to install it.  Then put the CD in your drive and you will probably have to open the file manager.  Right click on setup and tell it to use the wine installer. It should look just like you are installing it on windows and when it is done there will be a short cut on your desktop.

You can also install Oracle Virtual Machine from the software center.  Here is a tutoral on how to create a virtural machine. But I think it may be more then you want to get into right now.  Other then what I have said here I'm afraid I won't be much help since I have never had a need to set one up.

I personally don't know of any tax preparation software for Linux but that is not to say there isn't.  My wife does ours and she uses the web base one.

On a side note: check out the software center when you have time.  There is all kinds of app, games, utilities you can install for free.

• nra1ifer and ducky have said thanks