• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted January 19, 2013 - 07:12 PM

Well, I got the jack installed. Welded a few spots where there were cracked welds. Started the ramp storage area. Didn't take pics, I know I'm in trouble for that. Tomorrow is deck install day, I will take pics before we start that. I promise!

#107 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 07:44 PM

Pics! I got pics! The trailer is functional again! HF had their ramps on sale, so I grabbed a pair of them. The Ford w/ mower deck on it loads great.

Image016.jpg     Image018.jpg

Image019.jpg     Image021.jpg

Here's a shot of the jack:

Image020.jpg

A couple of the ramps storage. It's not complete as yet. I plan to put hinged doors on both sides so I can take them out either way. Also, the tail lights will be moved up.

Image017.jpg     Image023.jpg

I had to go buy 6 new boards. There went $75. The boards are attached to 2 cross members, just in front and behind the axles. I still need to cut the angled piece off the front. That was the spare tire storage. I will figure out something for strap storage and the winch mount. But, I can use it if the need arises. I am one happy camper!

Here's a shot of the welder I got to use. That is so much different from my Hobart 140. That Miller rocks!

Image022.jpg

• olcowhand, MH81, IamSherwood and 5 others have said thanks

#108 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 07:56 PM

Looking good Kenny!
  • KennyP said thank you

#109 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,729 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 07:58 PM

I saw those ramps and gave some serious thought to buying them

• KennyP said thank you

#110 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 08:09 PM

The Miller welder is that much better? I am going to start saving my pennies for a welder and will be looking at different brands.

Geno

• KennyP said thank you

#111 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 08:15 PM

Looks excellent Kenny. I think you did well on it all. As for ramps, good length, but you will wish for wider someday. Oh, the jack is very stout, you really splurged on that beast.

• KennyP said thank you

#112 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 08:16 PM

I saw those ramps and gave some serious thought to buying them

They didn't hardly give with the Ford on them. Impressed me. That Ford is over 1000 lbs. with the deck and me on it.

The Miller welder is that much better? I am going to start saving my pennies for a welder and will be looking at different brands.

Geno

That Miller is a 220 volt machine. Totally different from the 110 volt mine is. I could burn through 1/4" metal real easy with it. Took me a while to get used to it. It's like apples and oranges. I can't wait to use it some more. It'll spoil me!

• bgkid2966 said thank you

#113 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 08:23 PM

Looks excellent Kenny. I think you did well on it all. As for ramps, good length, but you will wish for wider someday. Oh, the jack is very stout, you really splurged on that beast.

They will do for now, Casey. I may watch for them to go on sale and buy another set. Then I could bolt 2 together. I have storage room for 2 more. I do plan to make a better way to hook them on the trailer, but they will do for now. I have right around $800 dollars in this trailer which I think is not bad at all.

Aaron wants to start looking for more that are damaged and fix them for re sale. Mine would probably bring $1100-1200 fairly easily around here.

• wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#114 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 08:25 PM

I don't have 220 here. I wish! So, a 110 is my only choice. It will be a while before I get one. I will start looking now and then shop price when time is right.

Geno

• KennyP said thank you

#115 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 08:25 PM

Too bad it's discontinued! Neat Idea.

I'm toying with the idea of a short dove tail that would swing up and latch (short tail gate affair). I'll talk that over with Aaron. We would have to add supports to be let down at the back of the trailer. First off is getting it useable. And the first thing to haul may be TD&H's Bush Hog from Kansas.

I too have had a few trailers over the years, from the back half of an old pickup to a stripped down tent trailer; 

the one I have now started out as a (not a popup) 16' camper,  I got it as just the frame and axle already long stripped before I got it,  my buddy was moving and said "take it or I gotta scrap it"  in an every day for 3 months cleanout of his property and packing "adventure"   I shortened it 3',  moved the axle forward from 102" to 80, (wish I'd have settled on 84 or 86")  now 76" wideX 13' long (11-1/2' usable)  I put a 18" long dovetail on the back;    it has a single 3500# axle with brakes and 6 lug hubs   (chevy pattern, not the same 6 lug as my Dakota)

it tows awesomely without the ramp gate that I totally built from scratch,  sometimes takes to swaying a bit with the ramp gate mounted and pinned up, that's why I said something about the axle should be a lil farther back to compensate for that 80-100 lbs of ramp gate standing up right on the tail...

all rectangular tube frame construction not cheesy angle iron or thin channel   I made a top rail on 3 sides, all out of Unistrut (its what I had, and it came to me for free)   You're better off even if you gotta completely redo that one vs building one from scratch as I titled mine as Home made (basically it was, since I cut that camper frame apart all the way to bare elements and started from square one)  and it was a major PITA to jump thru Illinois' hoops, to get it titled so I could license it and use it for more than a yard ornament...

that takes away from the money savings vs buying a "done" trailer or the sense of accomplishment for sure... i was ready to torch it and return it to a pile of scrap several times before I finally got it legal due to frustration of dealing with them

whoever said building them "upside down, is easier"  it is very true...

• KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#116 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 08:39 PM

Around here, we don't have to jump through hoops on trailers, thank God! Yours sounds like a very nice trailer. I've wanted a tandem axle for some time. It's not real wide, 6.5' between the rails, 8' overall. But it will be much better for taking the tractors for rides. Plus I can take a few more attachments along.

• dodge trucker said thank you

#117 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 08:40 PM

I don't have 220 here. I wish! So, a 110 is my only choice. It will be a while before I get one. I will start looking now and then shop price when time is right.

Geno

220 was mandatory when I built my garage, and now even have a sub panel and a 220 outlet in the old (attached) garage as well... in fact, I have 2 seperate 220 circuits off the sub panel in the detached garage that I wired myself.  (it truly is easy) I put 2 seperate 220 breakers out there cuz eventually my compressor is being moved so I dont hafta run an air hose across my front yard any more,  and I have both a Miller MIG and a Lincoln stick welder, that take 220 power... and now 3 or 4 months ago a twin post above ground hoist just sorta followed me home.. wonder how that happened??? (hint  CL and the price was too good to pass up) but it, too, takes 220 power to run 

there is a saying about welders about who's better    Stick welders  get a Lincoln  but Miller mig units are better (it is purely coincidence that is what I have... my Dad bought me the lincoln as my 18th B day present, 27 years ago) but that saying comes from my former co workers at the steel mill....  hobart=Miller  same company...    I say best beer? Miller, best welders? Miller.   I have run all sorts of welder setups. 

Bigkid  you could always get a gas powered welder  many have both 110 and 220 power  would save you pulling the wire and adding breakers.... and then you could weld, too!

#118 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 08:47 PM

Geno

I am very happy with the Hobart 140. I could have used it on the trailer, but was offered the use of the Miller. I just couldn't say no to that. I have built many things with the little Hobart and have had no issues with it. Plus, I can run it off a heavy extension cord. That makes it more 'portable'.

I could have gotten a cheaper welder when I bought this, but knew Hobart was a good name in welders. Plus, I like to use the argon gas. I don't care for the flux core wire. You just have to watch out for the wind using the gas.

#119 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 08:48 PM

Around here, we don't have to jump through hoops on trailers, thank God! Yours sounds like a very nice trailer. I've wanted a tandem axle for some time. It's not real wide, 6.5' between the rails, 8' overall. But it will be much better for taking the tractors for rides. Plus I can take a few more attachments along.

we never used to> just since 1/1/2010, they started a bunch of BS here  and the bad part was that if it were concerns over a safe build, that would be one thing and quite understandable;  but the truth is it has nothing to do with verifying that these home made trailers are safe near as much as that you gotta prove that your trailer or no components of it were stolen.... guilty til proven innocent line of thought, there..I got into more than one heated phone conversation with bureaucrats over the subject at the time in the process of jumping thru those hoops. 

I have a thread in "Mechanical" about my build, where I talked about my recent winch addition, but within that thread, I told  where there is a thread at a competing tractor website that I was  a member of, that does have pix of it...along with some buiild details... and my "TEMP" license plate, that I hand painted....

#120 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 08:59 PM

I am very happy with the Hobart 140. I could have used it on the trailer, but was offered the use of the Miller. I just couldn't say no to that. I have built many things with the little Hobart and have had no issues with it. Plus, I can run it off a heavy extension cord. That makes it more 'portable'.

I don't think that the hobart 140 was out yet in the 90s as I bought my Millermatic 185 new in late 97 or early 98 brand new... I know the Lincoln 110V wire welders weren't out yet at the time... my particular unit has morphed into what is now the Millermatic 210 or 212... there were 4 welders in the Miller lineup at the time  and I went with the 2nd biggest.... they had a 135A model that was 110 powered,  a 155 or so that was 220 powered (very similar in size to the 140 Hobart) then mine, then the big boy MM250  Mine and the 250 had their own wheels and built in bottle cart, the smaller ones had an optional cart that could be bought for more money at the time.

I havent yet gotten one, but mine pushed spoolgun compatibility at the time and the sales people couldn't tell me whether the 250 was/wasn't  I wanted the extra capability for later consideration just in case, and having burned up 3  110 powered units (2 Astro's and a century) in the process of building or modifying 3 different trailers,  I was buying 220 powered or nothing,  they have come a long ways since I bought mine, in 110 powered MIG's...  actually, that Hobart 140 would probably suit my needs pretty well these days but I am not interested in "downgrading" if you get what I mean.....

• KennyP and bgkid2966 have said thanks