• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 08:10 AM

Now why would the phone be in pieces ? Its not a Polaroid is it LOL !! I hate when that happens....

After it bounced about a foot off the desk, parts went all directions. Buttons weren't working right, just generally a piece of poo. Don't buy a ZTE phone.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#62 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,806 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 08:33 AM

Those channel iron joists need to have their top flange braced to prevent bowing and twisting. Normally the deck is bolted to the channel. This braces the channel and tightens up the deck. If you don't bolt the deck to the channels then atleast add a brace(diaphragm) down the middle of the frame to support the top flanges of the channels. It will greatly increase the strength of the deck without costing alot. Good Luck Kenny.

• Alc and KennyP have said thanks

#63 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 08:56 AM

I plan to bolt the deck down. I'll need decent weather to do it though. I also have an idea for ramp storage using the space between the last two C-channels. I need to get some steel for the ramps and the pieces to let them slide in there though. Needs to be done before the floor goes in. I'll draw up something to get the idea across.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#64 pigsitter OFFLINE  

pigsitter

enjoyin the livin part of life!

• Member No: 10704
  • 1,227 Thanks
  • 1,083 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 10:06 AM

Good call on going with the LED lighting,I've had zero lighting issues since converting my trailer to them.

• KennyP and dodge trucker have said thanks

#65 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 10:10 AM

I used butt connectors, but put heat shrink over them. Just need to get some good ring connectors for the ground wires to connect with.

#66 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,806 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 10:26 AM

I plan to bolt the deck down. I'll need decent weather to do it though. I also have an idea for ramp storage using the space between the last two C-channels. I need to get some steel for the ramps and the pieces to let them slide in there though. Needs to be done before the floor goes in. I'll draw up something to get the idea across.

I've seen the ramp storage compartment between the last two joists work well.

• KennyP said thank you

#67 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 05:35 PM

UPDATE! PICS! I took the good camera up today and shot a few pics. Too cold to stay out there too long. Look back at the original post then these pics.

Image007.jpg     Image008.jpg

Image009.jpg     Image010.jpg

The last pic is where I plan to put the ramps.

• wvbuzzmaster, boyscout862 and Newpaws493 have said thanks

#68 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted January 14, 2013 - 06:17 AM

Hopefully, I will have the new jack by the middle of the week. I'll be looking around for some material for the ramps as soon as the weather warms. I need to hook it up and find a good flat area so I can see how high it is at the back for the ramps. That will tell me how short I can go with them. If I can make them pretty short, I may go to a 16" width. (I am looking at jacking the front of the trailer to take some of the angle out when loading.)

Another friend has given me a box for strap storage. I need to go get it and see what I need to do to mount it. Still need to figure out a mount for the 3000 lb winch in case it's needed. Lots to do, so much cold keeping me from it.

#69 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted January 14, 2013 - 07:17 AM

So far so good, I'm making some alterations on my little trailer here too, curious about the ramp storage area. Thanks for the updates

• KennyP said thank you

#70 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,806 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted January 14, 2013 - 09:35 AM

I saw a hand winch on a pedestal in front of the deck on a home built. The spare tire was also attached to the pedestal. It seemed pretty good but it left no room for a big tool box.

#71 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted January 14, 2013 - 09:41 AM

So far so good, I'm making some alterations on my little trailer here too, curious about the ramp storage area. Thanks for the updates

Here ya go! Not too detailed, but something to give an idea.

Trailer Ramp Storage.jpeg

• Newpaws493 said thank you

#72 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted January 14, 2013 - 09:51 AM

I saw a hand winch on a pedestal in front of the deck on a home built. The spare tire was also attached to the pedestal. It seemed pretty good but it left no room for a big tool box.

That's another thing. Need to find a spare and make a place for it.

There is a brace from the tongue up to the top rail. I plan to setup a winch mount just under it. But that is not definite as yet. I don't want to have to bolt it on, it'll end up gone. So I hope to make something I can slide the mount plate into. That will make it easy to set up/take back out when I am not using it.

#73 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted January 14, 2013 - 09:56 AM

Man, our trailers are so much a like just a few differences, mine even has an extra plate hitch on the back too which I use for tie down point. I too want to make side slide in for my ramps, can't wait to see yours. Mine has a single steel rail right down the middle though, would have to work around that for ramp tray.

I have hauled a few cars on mine, actually drove 4 hrs to Evansville Ind. to pickup a 4200# Astro van for a buddy, trailer handled it fine.

I got ahold of a spare tire winch off he back of a wrecked 97 Chevy pickup truck, going to mount it up under front of trailer in the hitch rails "v" so it's out of the way and up under trailer out of weather. I'm also going to move my light brackets up to upper rail as I tear them up on everything it seems cause they are mounted low.

• KennyP said thank you

#74 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted January 14, 2013 - 10:06 AM

The plate hitch is mainly used when they deliver these, hook two trailers together with smaller ones loaded on top. But I put it back on as I plan to use it for a tie down also.

Tahoe, how wide is yours? Mine is right at 74" +/- at the floor. If you have a good enough jack to raise the front some, you might be able to get by with shorter ramps. I'm putting a 5000 lb. lift jack on this one. 8000 lb. static. That would make it where I may be able to get by with only 3' to 3-1/2' ramps. Short and a whole lot lighter.

#75 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,806 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted January 14, 2013 - 10:11 AM

I don't trust the spare tire winches. One morning I went out to my 20 year old van and there is the spare laying on the ground under the van. I shudder to think if that happened as I was driving down the road.

As far as easy removal of the winch and spare pedestal, how about using an old Reese reciever. Then you can take it off or put it on with just one pin.

• KennyP said thank you