• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,585 posts

Posted January 06, 2013 - 11:18 AM

Kenny, how much room behind the tires to the fenders? It looks like more than you need, maybe you can "widen" the whole setup a little without messing with wider axels?

#32 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,356 Thanks
  • 39,635 posts

Posted January 06, 2013 - 12:00 PM

Now that you have a trailer you can bring my tractor to me. :firejumper:

Any progress on straightening up the bends in the framing?

Aaron had to work again today for a while. I'm waiting for a call that he is on the way home. I don't want to do anything until he & I have talked about things.

Kenny, how much room behind the tires to the fenders? It looks like more than you need, maybe you can "widen" the whole setup a little without messing with wider axels?

I couldn't gain enough to help, Alan. I'm debating a side ramp up front, but am not sure how much the top rail is adding strength. May not be able to do that.

#33 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 05:49 AM

That's  not a bad looking trailer ,Kenny.

• KennyP said thank you

#34 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,356 Thanks
  • 39,635 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 06:04 AM

Aaron had to work all day yesterday, so we didn't get anything done on it. I don't want to start doing anything until we have talked things over. Once I know what his thoughts are, then I will be attacking it. I'm not sure if he thinks we can straighten the 3" channel or if I need to find some new metal for it. I have to work part of this week, so we are in a holding pattern.

#35 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 10:49 AM

I think Casey is on the money... Get a good bulldog jack, a sturdy jack makes all the difference for me. I want to be able to have my trailer loaded and unhook from my truck. Stick with treated 2x's for the deck boards unless you have your cross members really close. Lastly, the whole replacement braked axle sounds like a good deal.

Personally, there is NO WAY I would use that tilt hitch thingy. Adds way to much moment of force on the hitch which would drastically reduce your tongue weight limit. I would much rather use longer ramps.

Edited by twostep, January 07, 2013 - 11:11 AM.

• wvbuzzmaster, KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#36 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,564 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 05:12 PM

Kenny, don't take the top railing off.  It is a big part of the trailer's strength.  Simple angle iron rail on the bottom isn't enough by itself unless it's very heavy angle, which yours doesn't appear to be.

And I urge you strongly to put one braked axle under it.  You'd never regret doing so, but might regret if you don't.  I've had trailers without brakes to push me like a hockey puck, and it isn't fun!

• KennyP, boyscout862 and Sawdust have said thanks

#37 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,356 Thanks
  • 39,635 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 05:36 PM

Daniel, I thought so on the angle. The more I thought about it, the more I saw that wasn't an option. Probably be the weekend before anything else can be done. And it's supposed to turn cold then.

#38 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,564 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 05:39 PM

I have a 14' trailer that is 4" angle iron bottom rail only.  The angle iron is 3/8" thick.  The trailer used to be a 16' long tandem, but was bent bad and the axles all bent like yours.  I already had a 16' tandem, so I opted to remove the worst axle, shorten it to 14', then straighten what frame remained.  

• KennyP said thank you

#39 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,356 Thanks
  • 39,635 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 05:57 PM

I think Casey is on the money... Get a good bulldog jack, a sturdy jack makes all the difference for me. I want to be able to have my trailer loaded and unhook from my truck. Stick with treated 2x's for the deck boards unless you have your cross members really close. Lastly, the whole replacement braked axle sounds like a good deal.

Personally, there is NO WAY I would use that tilt hitch thingy. Adds way to much moment of force on the hitch which would drastically reduce your tongue weight limit. I would much rather use longer ramps.

I am looking at a jack right now, 8000# static, 5000# lift. It's a drop leg, which is great.

I will keep my eye out for an axle w/ brakes. I have pulled many types of trailers, so I understand the need for braking.

• olcowhand said thank you

#40 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,564 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 06:18 PM

I will keep my eye out for an axle w/ brakes. I have pulled many types of trailers, so I understand the need for braking.

Sounds like maybe you also know what it feels to be a hockey puck!   :bigrofl:  Makes for a high pucker factor!

• KennyP said thank you

#41 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,730 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 06:22 PM

Nah braking isn't that important. Just aim for the softest thing and keep your arms and legs inside the vehicle. :oh_shucks: Seriously though get some brakes. I don't want you damaging my tractor when you bring it to me.

• KennyP said thank you

#42 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,356 Thanks
  • 39,635 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 06:33 PM

Daniel, I pulled a backhoe and trailer around for many years. Luckily enough, no accidents. I've drove semi's all over the eastern states. I've learned to watch traffic well ahead and check the mirrors several times a minute. I'll be looking for that axle. It may be a while yet before we can get this road worthy. It's fixing to get cold which will hinder working on it.

• olcowhand and JRJ have said thanks

#43 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,777 Thanks
  • 4,302 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 06:33 PM

I was thinking any trailer (In Indiana) that was rated 2000# or more had to have brakes.

I pulled a 21' travel trailer without brakes, and without a load leveling hitch with a Dodge Dakota 2 wheel drive......Talk about getting pushed around!

#44 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,356 Thanks
  • 39,635 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 06:40 PM

I once hauled a heat exchanger from OK to Washington, D.C. with a one-ton truck and 40' mini-float. I was grossing nearly 40,000 lbs. That weren't fun at all! But the trailer had air brakes.

#45 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,564 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 06:53 PM

I once hauled a heat exchanger from OK to Washington, D.C. with a one-ton truck and 40' mini-float. I was grossing nearly 40,000 lbs. That weren't fun at all! But the trailer had air brakes.

And you darn tootin needed them!!!!!!!!!  That's a good size load!!!!