• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,487 Thanks
  • 39,722 posts

Posted February 03, 2013 - 05:19 PM

Thanks, Casey. I'll figure it all out when the time comes to load a few. Only having one up where the trailer is leaves a lot of ? marks on the best approach. I know the FF with blade is right at 8' long. The Ford is close to 7' with the blade bracket in front sticking out. That eats up a 16' trailer pretty quick!

#167 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,765 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted February 03, 2013 - 07:59 PM

Time to make a double decker tractor hauler.

#168 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,487 Thanks
  • 39,722 posts

Posted February 21, 2013 - 02:08 PM

Well, I went to HF today with the intention to get a 5000 lb winch that is on sale. But they were out! :wallbanging:  Have to wait til Tuesday for one. :oh_shucks:

#169 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted February 24, 2013 - 01:13 PM

I saw an idea for a tongue box the otherd ay I like better than mine, may have to scout the garage sales a lil harder

I was at Menards and saw a trailer a lil sgorter than mine.

You know those truck bed toolboxes; not the ones that go across the bed behind the cab but rather theones that sit on the bed rail  longways?  this guy had one of those mounted crossways sitting on the tongue, it was nearly perfect length the same as the trailer was wide. he had it all the way against the rail on the tongue side, it stuck up only a couple inches, if that, above the rail.

Protection for the winch, not obnoxiously huge like the 1st box I bought for my trailer tongue (it was a poly truck bed box that sits inside not on top of the rail) and looked like it belonged there.

my toolbox (see my thread on my trailer) is great for protecting the winch and concealing it from would be thieves,  but it falls short when it comes to space available for tow straps, spare marker lights, maybe a crescent wrench and pair of channellocks for "emergencies"

• KennyP said thank you

#170 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,487 Thanks
  • 39,722 posts

Posted February 26, 2013 - 11:44 AM

I saw an idea for a tongue box the otherd ay I like better than mine, may have to scout the garage sales a lil harder

I was at Menards and saw a trailer a lil sgorter than mine.

You know those truck bed toolboxes; not the ones that go across the bed behind the cab but rather theones that sit on the bed rail  longways?  this guy had one of those mounted crossways sitting on the tongue, it was nearly perfect length the same as the trailer was wide. he had it all the way against the rail on the tongue side, it stuck up only a couple inches, if that, above the rail.

Protection for the winch, not obnoxiously huge like the 1st box I bought for my trailer tongue (it was a poly truck bed box that sits inside not on top of the rail) and looked like it belonged there.

my toolbox (see my thread on my trailer) is great for protecting the winch and concealing it from would be thieves,  but it falls short when it comes to space available for tow straps, spare marker lights, maybe a crescent wrench and pair of channellocks for "emergencies"

I might look into one of those. Sounds like it just might be what I'm looking for!

On another note, I pulled the trigger on the HF 5000 lb. winch this morning. Had a coupon, only $149 + tax. But I also got the 2 year warranty. Came to just a bit over $200.

The box you are talking about would give me room for a battery for it to!

#171 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,487 Thanks
  • 39,722 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 09:01 AM

I am going to go get a truck box (for smaller trucks) to put on the front of the trailer. I'll get some pics of it this afternoon. It will give me plenty of room for the winch and tie downs. Stay tuned!

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#172 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,487 Thanks
  • 39,722 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 04:22 PM

As promised, here are a few shots of the box. It's for a small PU, 5' W x 18" D x 12" Tall. I don't think I will have to cut it down to fit between the jack and front rail of the trailer. I need some angle iron to set it in and make a mount for the winch inside. Cost me a whole $45. Oh, and I need a new lock or a key made for this one. I'm a happy camper!

#173 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,765 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 04:31 PM

I don't see no pics!

• KennyP said thank you

#174 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,487 Thanks
  • 39,722 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 05:08 PM

Oops! Try these:

Image036.jpg     Image037.jpg

Image038.jpg

Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

• boyscout862 said thank you

#175 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 05:12 PM

Heck of a deal Kenny.

That should be perfect for you.

• KennyP said thank you

#176 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 05:36 PM

Nice toolbox, Kenny. Very strong and should serve your purpose, with a little "bling"

• KennyP said thank you

#177 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 08:59 PM

I could use a box like that for the Dakota, but there ain't many available like that around these parts; everyone wants 3-4X that price even for a used one via CL....

#178 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,487 Thanks
  • 39,722 posts

Posted March 06, 2013 - 06:10 AM

I could use a box like that for the Dakota, but there ain't many available like that around these parts; everyone wants 3-4X that price even for a used one via CL....

That's where I found this one. I'm not sure who made it, but it has a model # of 511200. Built in '05.

• dodge trucker said thank you

#179 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,487 Thanks
  • 39,722 posts

Posted March 07, 2013 - 06:51 AM

I took the lock to work with me yesterday. I was going to go to a Truck Supply and see about a new lock. But, as I turned a corner going to work, there was a locksmith. Stopped in there and got 2 keys made for the original lock for $12.50. Brought it back home and installed it. Then I loaded the box in the Dodge and took it to Collinsville to see if it is going to work okay without mods. Fit's perfect where I want it. Now I have to figure out how to raise the winch 3" up from the floor of the box and keep it strong enough for the 5000 lb pull. I just happen to have some 3" c-channel and a large piece of the 3/8" plate. It's just attaching that through the box floor to the tongue of the trailer that is the issue. I'll scratch my head for a bit and think it over.

#180 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted March 07, 2013 - 07:38 AM

You can use a couple of large ubolts. They sell them with 90* bends also. Put a heavy plate under the tongue and one inside the box.

Just a thought.

Geno

• KennyP said thank you