• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 06:36 AM

soldered and heat shrink is the best

I have never had luck with butt connectors lasting very long

but it depends on what you have available and how fast you nee it operational....

If I had a better soldering iron, I would do that. But it was rather windy and my little iron wouldn't have done the job. That's why I put the heat shrink over them.

that don't always work either

Man 10 pages/// I need to go back to the beginning and read it all.

I was gonna go over to "that other forum" and try to link the thread from over there so you guys can see mine  but it's a lil disappointing compared to this one, besides being only a single axle...

I haven't figured out a place for the box as yet. The winch mount keeps me from putting it there. It may go inside a front corner as the trailer isn't wide enough for 2 tractors side by side (67"). I think the tractors will be loaded at an angle.

• TAHOE said thank you

#152 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,545 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 07:23 AM

Looks great Kenny! Maybe you could put the box where the winch is and put the winch in the box. Make a tray to go in the top of the box and put the straps in the tray. Then the winch is secured and protected. The only problem with this large of a trailer is that full size tractors and trucks will be jumping in as you drive along..

• KennyP and dodge trucker have said thanks

#153 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 07:37 AM

Looks great Kenny! Maybe you could put the box where the winch is and put the winch in the box. Make a tray to go in the top of the box and put the straps in the tray. Then the winch is secured and protected. The only problem with this large of a trailer is that full size tractors and trucks will be jumping in as you drive along..

I am thinking in the future that is what I will do for the winch and box. But that particular winch will not be dedicated to the trailer, I use it on my dump trailer and it would be too hard to put it in/take out all the time. I plan to purchase another to dedicate to the trailer and will then put it inside the box and make a tray.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#154 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 08:49 AM

yup... itll be outta sight from prying eyes and also the weather that way  on a smaller scale, that's what I did

• boyscout862 said thank you

#155 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 10:11 AM

If I had a better soldering iron, I would do that. But it was rather windy and my little iron wouldn't have done the job. That's why I put the heat shrink over them.

I haven't figured out a place for the box as yet. The winch mount keeps me from putting it there. It may go inside a front corner as the trailer isn't wide enough for 2 tractors side by side (67"). I think the tractors will be loaded at an angle.

Sure it's not 77" wide? That's what mine is 6' 4". I've thought about cutting side rail and make a side load up front, but I can squeeze two tractors with implements on there, don't need to haul more than that at a time.

You could always maybe make some type of stand to mount box up above winch....????

Edited by TAHOE, January 31, 2013 - 10:11 AM.

#156 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 10:45 AM

yeah mine is 77" wide as well... 67 seems awful narrow

#157 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 03:26 PM

Error on my part. 77" it is.

Sure it's not 77" wide? That's what mine is 6' 4". I've thought about cutting side rail and make a side load up front, but I can squeeze two tractors with implements on there, don't need to haul more than that at a time.

You could always maybe make some type of stand to mount box up above winch....????

I'll just temp it in inside the bed for now. May only be a month or two before I get the other winch. Then it will be made more permanent.

#158 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted February 03, 2013 - 06:20 AM

I went up yesterday to see what was wrong with the one tire that was 'short of breath'. Found another plug in it that was leaking. New plug wouldn't seal it, so brought that home to patch this morning. Found another tire with a bead leak, got it to seal up hopefully.

I do like that jack. Since both of these problem tires were on the front axle, I was able to run the jack all the way up and pull the tires. I'll take the camera today to show how high it lifts. Awesome!

I got the box mounted for now. Need to get some locks that are keyed alike.

I got the vise stand out and mounted the vise on it. I think it needs to be a bit shorter for me. I'll try to get pics of it too.

• Texas Deere and Horse and boyscout862 have said thanks

#159 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted February 03, 2013 - 07:16 AM

Nice progress Kenny.  That trailer should serve your purposes for a long time.

• KennyP said thank you

#160 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted February 03, 2013 - 07:42 AM

Thanks, Greg. I'm anxious to get it done.

#161 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,545 posts

Posted February 03, 2013 - 10:43 AM

If you get some of the Corbin style combination locks you can set the combitation to the same for all of them. This is really handy if the keys get lost. Keep a spare key to your truck in the tool box. Hide the key in a corner and pour hot wax over it to attach it to the floor and hide it. Leave a greasy old rag on top of that. I also keep a spare car key in my watch pocket of my jeans. It pays off about once a year.

Edited by boyscout862, February 03, 2013 - 10:43 AM.

• KennyP and Sawdust have said thanks

#162 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 03, 2013 - 10:46 AM

Hey Kenny, if you ever get in a place you need more hieght to change a tire. For the front axle, let the jack down all the way, put blocks under the back of the trailer up tight against the frame. Then run the jack up all the way, that should pick the axle up higher.

• Alc, KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#163 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted February 03, 2013 - 03:51 PM

Hey Kenny, if you ever get in a place you need more hieght to change a tire. For the front axle, let the jack down all the way, put blocks under the back of the trailer up tight against the frame. Then run the jack up all the way, that should pick the axle up higher.

Brian, we did that when we repacked the wheel bearings, only used jackstands. Had all four tires in the air!

#164 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted February 03, 2013 - 04:27 PM

I got a few pics today! First is how high the jack will go.

Image032.jpg

Next 2 are the Ford with mower deck to show the clearance i have as it sits here:

Image033.jpg     Image034.jpg

Last, is the Ford all the way up front and angled. Without the deck, I could have got a better angle.Image035.jpg

I hope to be able to haul at least 3 tractors and some implements,  at the side, with this.

• Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#165 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted February 03, 2013 - 04:36 PM

Kenny, one thing I learned with hauling GT's is that it becomes better to just load them in a straight line one after the other bcause everything you think you gain by angling is immediately lost by the new length of the tractor corner to corner. And on top of that, you just made strapping it down more difficult because you just introduced yourself to odd angles. Great job with your trailer, should server you well for years to come.

• Sawdust said thank you