12 replies to this topic

#1 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted January 05, 2013 - 01:25 AM

Hello i just bought a computer from a friend (for cheap) with windows 7 and a card-reader  thats the only reason i bought it there is windows 7 on the hdd so i installed that along with the card reader and installed all the drivers but for some reason the reader is messing up ok i tried the sd card last night and i got nothing not even in disk manager i read around and it turn out that that in folder options there is a setting "hide empty drives ... " and thats checked so i un check it im one step ahead now it shows my extra Empty drives i try my 32 gig Sd card Nothing ! then my 8 the 4 Nothing i tried a 32 Mb card loads right away and it instantly will transfer a 3 mb picture so there is no problem with speed but why wont my larger cards work ?? im stumped on this one ! i guess if worse comes to worse i will just plug my other Hdd of with Xp on it i have tried drivers unpluging it trying it in another plug and it still does not want to quorate !!

Let me know

Thanks

Ty

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,299 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted January 05, 2013 - 06:06 AM

I had the same problem with an older reader on XP. The older readers weren't able to read cards larger than 2gig. Some had an update, but many wouldn't go beyond 2. I got around mine by using the reader in my printer for a while, but eventually, replacement was the answer.

#3 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted January 05, 2013 - 01:02 PM

I had the same problem with an older reader on XP. The older readers weren't able to read cards larger than 2gig. Some had an update, but many wouldn't go beyond 2. I got around mine by using the reader in my printer for a while, but eventually, replacement was the answer.

but its a newer reader out of a Vista system

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,299 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted January 05, 2013 - 01:10 PM

Huh, IDK... Have you done updates on that device?

Might look up the model number & see what the specs are...

#5 Canawler ONLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted January 05, 2013 - 01:27 PM

SD cards top out at 2G.  Anything over 2 is actually an SDHC (high capacity) card.  Same physical size but the older readers can't handle the slightly different format.  Newer readers are backwards compatible.  The change over period probably would have worked out to the beginning of the Vista era.  It doesn't surprise me that a Vista machine would have had just an SD and not an SDHC reader.

#6 dogsoldier OFFLINE  

dogsoldier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9589
  • 316 Thanks
  • 490 posts

Posted January 05, 2013 - 01:30 PM

i use a USB card reader , i can use it on my Ubuntu machines or on the wifes windows laptop. all i have to do is plug it in and it works. i got my card reader from dollar general or if you dont have one close, walmart carries them

#7 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted January 05, 2013 - 01:46 PM

Huh, IDK... Have you done updates on that device?

Might look up the model number & see what the specs are...

i updated all the drivers and installed all the motherboard drivers still Nothing on larger cards i have another computer (Hp) that i might put back together and run Xp on for a multimedia and network computer i hear that the card reader problem is common but there is (from what i found) no real cure i guess i might have to get a new reader (it not a hardware issue) its a software issue                                                                                   

• MH81 said thank you

#8 Canawler ONLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 01:27 PM

Again, it's not a software problem that can be updated.  You are talking about two different formats of cards.  SD card readers will only be able to read cards up to 2 gig.  SDHC readers handle the older SD cards and the newer, larger SDHC format.  As someone mentioned, external USB card readers are available for under $5.

#9 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,709 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 08:42 PM

Canawler is correct.  The cards are different formats and the older readers cannot handle the format nor the size.  It is like an older  mother board it can only handle memory sticks up to a certain size or try to run a Sata drive on a IDE board.

#10 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 09:01 PM

Canawler is correct.  The cards are different formats and the older readers cannot handle the format nor the size.  It is like an older  mother board it can only handle memory sticks up to a certain size or try to run a Sata drive on a IDE board.

But tell me this i put the reader in a Xp machine and it works with my 32 gb sd card

#11 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,709 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 10:48 PM

It's not the operating system it is the card reader it's self.  As long as the operating system has a driver to tell it what to do with that piece of hardware it will work.  You could take a brand new out of the box today card reader and install it in a window 3.1 machine and as long as you had a driver for windows 3.1 it would work, slowly but it would work.  

A DVD drive will read a CD but a CD drive will not read a DVD.  Even though the cards look the same they are not just like a DVD looks very much like a CD.  

Ty,  I just reread your OP and how did that computer come?  The way I'm reading it is that you bought the computer , a windows 7 disk and the card reader and you put them all together.  Is this correct?  If so what was the card read originally out of?   Quite often when I get a computer that is broke and not worth fixing (like a dead mother board ) the client will just leave it with me and I'll gut it for what is still good and quite often I will end up putting it in another computer.  

One last question have you tried a 2 gb or less SD card in the reader?

#12 Canawler ONLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted January 09, 2013 - 01:14 PM

But tell me this i put the reader in a Xp machine and it works with my 32 gb sd card

Your original post said it worked with a 32 Meg card not Gig so I assumed you probably had an older SD only card reader. If it really did read a 32 Gig card then you definitely have the correct SDHC format capable of reading the latest cards. If it worked on one OS and not another I would assume it's a driver issue. Of course I know I shouldn't be assuming all this. :)
One thing I'm not clear on. Is the reader new?

#13 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted January 09, 2013 - 02:11 PM

Your original post said it worked with a 32 Meg card not Gig so I assumed you probably had an older SD only card reader. If it really did read a 32 Gig card then you definitely have the correct SDHC format capable of reading the latest cards. If it worked on one OS and not another I would assume it's a driver issue. Of course I know I shouldn't be assuming all this. :)
One thing I'm not clear on. Is the reader new?

"i tried my 32 gig Sd card Nothing ! then my 8 the 4 Nothing i tried a 32 Mb card" then it worked  i took the reader out and slammed it into a Xp machine and it will read my 32 GB SdHc and the reader is newer but the strange part is that it wont read any cards(Running windows 7) besides my 32 Mb SD but the same reader will read my 32 Gb sdhc running Xp im going to try to put my old Hdd back in and run xp on the same machine that 7 is running on