#16 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted September 06, 2010 - 03:32 PM

I wasn't going bother with these three but what the heck?

The owner of this 195 apparently does a bit of pulling with his tractor, hence the weird front wheels which really do nothing to improve its performance. What intrigued me was the air cleaner on this Kohler that apparently has some sort of pre-cleaner added. I've never seen this before and I'm wondering if this is an option that Kohler offered or that it's actually from a different brand of engine.

Anyone???

Attached Thumbnails

• Photo 059.jpg
  • Photo 058.jpg
  • Photo 057.jpg

#17 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 06, 2010 - 07:17 PM

Nice 195,I've decided that I want a 195,I really like their looks and size.

#18 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,612 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted September 06, 2010 - 07:25 PM

I've never understood the tiny front wheels on pullers, especially on the super pullers. I would rather have a wheel that is much stronger myself. And why do they think it looks better? I think normal size is more appealing.

#19 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted September 06, 2010 - 07:40 PM

As I understand it, there is a theory behind this. The lower down the front end is compared to the back end, the greater the leverage on the rear axle and the harder it is to lift the front wheels off the ground. Just between you and me Dan, I'm not buying into it but I see it all the time. I think it's more a matter of "Monkey see, Monkey do" than provable science.

#20 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,861 posts

Posted September 06, 2010 - 09:53 PM

Here's one that I've never seen before and I bet that most of you haven't either. This one is a real "confuser". When you first look at it, you jump to the conclusion that it's just another snowblower but you'd be dead wrong. Apparently this was a powered V-plow that was mounted on the front of a heavy truck. It was driven by a chain from some sort of PTO arrangement connected to the truck's engine. As you pushed into the snow, the augers pushed the snow to either side to make penetration on un-opened roads much easier.

You guys must get some serious snow up there.
The Dozer I piced from the Edgar, WI show was used to push a V plow when trucks could not make it.Edgar Wi 2010 (161).jpg

They had the plow there too but I did not put 2 and 2 together till the next day and did not get a pic of the plow.
Next year I will get a pic of that plow.
I can remember in my younger days watching a 4 by 4 Oshkosh backing up and taking runs at our road one winter. We may get 8-10 days off of school just because nothing moved. My Dad mounted a half of a dump truck bed, cut long ways, on the front of the Farmall H with a Sears loader. Boy could we move snow.
Just do not see that kind of snow anymore.
Sorry about writing a biography but just got carried away.
I day I believe I may right my Memoirs and post they here.
Now that will be a Chuckle.:bigrofl::bigrofl::bigrofl:

#21 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted September 06, 2010 - 10:47 PM

You need to pull out your map of North America there, duckster. Where I am is a long way south of WI geographically. I am assuming that the old Cat and the weird V-plow both came from either northern Ontario or perhaps even Quebec where the snow comes early and leaves late every year. Not that far from me is the Niagara fruit belt where we go grapes to create wines that compete and beat some of the best vintners all over the world. Our Ice Wines are legendary. You can't grow grapes in a cold climate. That area is on the same latitude as California but it's definitely Canada.

#22 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,861 posts

Posted September 07, 2010 - 01:26 PM

I've never understood the tiny front wheels on pullers, especially on the super pullers. I would rather have a wheel that is much stronger myself. And why do they think it looks better? I think normal size is more appealing.

It is done to lighten the front end and give you more weight to move.

#23 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted September 07, 2010 - 03:44 PM

Thanks for all of the pics hydriv. There was a lot of interesting stuff in there!