#1 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted September 06, 2010 - 12:20 PM

The Milton show is heavily weighted in favour of large iron as opposed to the garden tractor world. I took a few photos of things that I found interesting at this year's show. I'll start off with some of the wonderful old steam powered machinery that was there. Some of it was being driven around the fairgrounds while other pieces were powering a sawmill that was busy cutting logs into 6 quarter slabs that were subsequently fed into a machine with two saw blades that cut the slabs into various widths. One blade in the saw is fixed but the other blade is instantly adjustable by moving a rod left or right and dropping it into the slot next to the desired width.

There was also a planer on hand to make the finished dimensional lumber smooth on all sides. They were working on white pine and walnut when I was there.

Attached Thumbnails

• Photo 012.jpg
  • Photo 009.jpg
  • Photo 005.jpg
  • Photo 010.jpg
  • Photo 007.jpg
  • Photo 006.jpg
  • Photo 011.jpg
  • Photo 008.jpg
  • Photo 004.jpg

#2 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted September 06, 2010 - 12:25 PM

This is a particularly nice restoration.

Attached Thumbnails

• Photo 063.jpg
  • Photo 060.jpg
  • Photo 062.jpg
  • Photo 061.jpg

#3 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted September 06, 2010 - 12:33 PM

This monster belongs to the Mathews brothers who operate a building moving business right around the corner from where Doug works. These guys even have some old luxury rail cars in their collection.

Attached Thumbnails

• Photo 039.jpg
  • Photo 038.jpg
  • Photo 040.jpg
  • Photo 031.jpg

#4 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted September 06, 2010 - 12:38 PM

Could this be the world's first 4-wheel drive tractor? What an interesting piece.

Attached Thumbnails

• Photo 044.jpg
  • Photo 045.jpg
  • Photo 043.jpg
  • Photo 042.jpg

#5 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted September 06, 2010 - 12:46 PM

Many of you wish that you had a "cab" for your GT to put between yourself and the cold snow falling outside. Actually, the term "cab" was slang at one point because it was a shortened version of "cabin". Here's an old Caterpillar dozer with a true cabin on it. The glass is just ordinary window glass. It isn't safety glass nor is it tempered glass. Look at the size of the cylinders on that engine.

Attached Thumbnails

• Photo 054.jpg
  • Photo 055.jpg
  • Photo 056.jpg
  • Photo 053.jpg
  • Photo 052.jpg

#6 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted September 06, 2010 - 12:56 PM

I don't think that Doug would like it much if he had to pilot this old Mack with the wide open cab and solid tires. It's original from the cowl forward but the cab is made of plywood, an item that wasn't even invented when this truck went down the assembly line. You'd have to really love trucking to want to drive this bone-shaker any distance. Gives a whole new meaning to "air conditioning" too. :D

Attached Thumbnails

• Photo 020.jpg
  • Photo 018.jpg
  • Photo 017.jpg
  • Photo 019.jpg

#7 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 06, 2010 - 12:57 PM

There are some nice pieces of work there,and great pictures.

#8 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 06, 2010 - 01:01 PM

Could this be the world's first 4-wheel drive tractor? What an interesting piece.

Yes that is VERY interesting,nice restoration too.

#9 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted September 06, 2010 - 01:02 PM

Here's an extremely rare Canadian-built Beaver tractor. All the collectors I know would love to have a Beaver or two waiting for them in the back shed. :D

Attached Thumbnails

• Photo 046.jpg
  • Photo 048.jpg
  • Photo 049.jpg
  • Photo 047.jpg

#10 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted September 06, 2010 - 01:09 PM

This is a nice little tractor with an interesting plow setup. Push down on the lever and the plow comes up while you turn around and set up for the next run down the field.

Attached Thumbnails

• Photo 001.jpg
  • Photo 002.jpg

#11 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted September 06, 2010 - 01:13 PM

A small Case steam engine and a very pretty Ford.

Attached Thumbnails

• Photo 041.jpg
  • Photo 003.jpg

#12 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted September 06, 2010 - 01:19 PM

Here's one that I've never seen before and I bet that most of you haven't either. This one is a real "confuser". When you first look at it, you jump to the conclusion that it's just another snowblower but you'd be dead wrong. Apparently this was a powered V-plow that was mounted on the front of a heavy truck. It was driven by a chain from some sort of PTO arrangement connected to the truck's engine. As you pushed into the snow, the augers pushed the snow to either side to make penetration on un-opened roads much easier.

Attached Thumbnails

• Photo 016.jpg
  • Photo 014.jpg
  • Photo 015.jpg

#13 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted September 06, 2010 - 01:30 PM

You never know what will turn up at these shows and these two items were brought by the same chap. The Jeep is totally un-restored and sports a 50 calibre machine gun plus a hand-held machine gun, a Browning sniper rifle and an anti-tank gun that has a 5 shot clip on it. He's pulling a cannon he restored that had been sitting for many years on the front lawn of some guy he knew. At that time the original wheels had rotted of and the entire gun had been bathed in battleship gray paint. No polished brass was visible. He even had boxes of live ammo fed into both of the mounted guns although the guns themselves were disabled for the show.

Attached Thumbnails

• Photo 037.jpg
  • Photo 036.jpg
  • Photo 033.jpg
  • Photo 035.jpg
  • Photo 032.jpg
  • Photo 034.jpg

• olcowhand said thank you

#14 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted September 06, 2010 - 01:40 PM

Wow!

There is alot of interesting and rare stuff there.

Thank you For posting the pictures hydriv :dancingbanana:

#15 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted September 06, 2010 - 02:13 PM

OK....here's the final set of photos and I have to apologize up front because they are not complete. What you are looking at is called a "Military Band" and it is one amazing piece of musical engineering you will ever witness. This unit is mounted inside a custom-made tag-along trailer that has doors on either side that swing up plus a rear entrance door.

Unfortunately, the weather on Saturday was a mix of sun, showers and downpours. I managed to photograph the rear and sides of this unit but just as I was about to go around to the other side, the rain hit and the gentleman closed the door. I never got a chance to get the balance of the photos I wanted to take.

Essentially, it's classified as an organ but no one plays it. I'm sure all of you are familiar with the old Player Piano's that used punched rolls of paper to operate the piano keys but those piano's could also be played if someone sat down and played them like a normal piano. This Military Band Organ was built in 1911 in North Tonawanda, New York by the North Tonawanda Musical Instrument Works.

Right now, it is being powered by and electric motor sitting on top of it and belt driving a pulley connected to a shaft that goes inside the case that mechanically operates bellows that provide the necessary air pressure needed to power the 52 keys leading to 5 heavy brass trombones, 15 brass trumpets, 15 brass clarinets, 16 brass piccolos, violins, a snare drum, a bass drum and a cymbal. There's more but you get the picture.

The cabinet stands 7ft 9 1/4" to the top of the bass drum and is 4 ft 7 1/4" wide by 2 ft. 7" deep. It is made from 1/4 sawn white oak.

This one has a "LOUD" voice because it was made to play in roller rinks of the day. It is very loud and I felt sorry any exhibitors that were close by to this thing and had to hear the same repertoire of tunes again and again. I'm not into military music but I was totally fascinated by the mechanics of this thing. It has a vacuum pump in it that is connected to a pickup. A punched roll of paper passes over this pickup and holes allow air into the pickup and this is sensed by what is essentially a mechanical relay that is vacuum operated just like having a low voltage coil on an electrical relay. This series of relays control where the air pressure created by the bellows goes and the air pressure blows all of those brass instruments and operates the drums and cymbal as well.

This thing is so loud, there's no way you can talk to the owner/operator. All you can do is smile, nod and make hand gestures. Apparently these were in wide use by all the circuses and carnivals to provide music on the carousel rides. The rolls hold several tunes each and can be changed out. They even had "endless rolls" that played the same series of tunes repeatedly. When you see the front of this thing, you have 21 brass horns blaring at you plus all those clarinets and piccolo's. The snare, bass drum and cymbal are all mounted on the top of the cabinet.

The one shot through the rear entrance door gives you some idea as to what the front looks like.

Attached Thumbnails

• Photo 027.jpg
  • Photo 030.jpg
  • Photo 021.jpg
  • Photo 025.jpg
  • Photo 028.jpg
  • Photo 024.jpg
  • Photo 022.jpg
  • Photo 029.jpg
  • Photo 026.jpg
  • Photo 023.jpg