26 replies to this topic

#1 Jehtro OFFLINE  

Jehtro

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3300
  • 109 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted January 04, 2013 - 08:21 AM

Well after watching DH1 (Doug) videos a few emails back and forth with him, I started my Eletric conversion on the non-running H14xl,

I was going to start a thread sooner but no pictures to post, and I know you guys are a bit of visual learners :bigrofl: , so I held off.

Anyway finally got around to connecting my phone to a PC.

Here is the host tractor, it was cheap and affordable, so that usually my #1 requirement, also the finance department (AKA wife) didn't have a problem,

bolensh14xl.jpg

The Tecumseh HH140 has a valve guide out it , The plan was to use this tractor for the snowblower, and my 318 for grass duty. But a blower for the my JD318 came to me cheap out of the blue one day. I've had 2 deals like that come to me now, people in the community kinda know I play with this stuff and they bring it to me.

St. Marys-20121231-00455.jpg

So now that I have a blower for the 318, the work kinda stopped on the bolens, it became yet another surface to place tools and etc onto within the shop.

St. Marys-20121229-00451.jpg

Got looking on youtube one day , came across DH1 videos, dangeous thing that youtube, start getting those "ideas", anyway couple emails back and forth with Doug and I'm sold on the idea.

St. Marys-20121229-00449.jpg

Bought this motor last weekend, it also was cheap, so it met my requirements again. Its out of a Forklift, might be too large, but we'll see.

St. Marys-20121231-00454.jpg

So the H14xl is hydrostatic drive, plan is to go direct to the hydro drive shaft. Speed control / reverse will be on the hydro pedal. Also my hydaulic lift will sill be available. I'm thinking a plow would be nice to have, the winters have changed recently and a blower just doesn't seen to be a major requirement.

St. Marys-20130102-00458.jpg

I was thinking of wiring it with 2 contactors, 1 switch would give me 24V, and the other would give me 36V, kinda a redneck type speed control.

I did have an issue finding a spline connector to attach to this motor, but I got lucky and found one a Princess Auto. I wasn't planning on being anywhere close the day I went, so I didn't bring the motor with me. I ended up going past , so I told my wife I had to run in. This was the only spline one I could find in the couplers section. Luckly I did put a 22mm wrench over the shaft a few nights before, so I knew the rough shaft size. I found this in a bin off to the side, then went over to the digital caliphers and measured it. It was too close to call , so I bought , hoped like heck it would fit.

London-20130102-00462.jpg

I was pretty happy when I got home and it fit perfectly.

St. Marys-20130102-00464.jpg

So I've dropped this off at the weld shop, I'm going to attach that coupler to the orginal coupler that came off the HH140,

St. Marys-20130102-00465.jpg

Theres a rubber piece that goes in between to help with mis alignment & vibration I'm told, the same setup can be seen on the Hydro connection.

St. Marys-20130102-00457.jpg

That shaft it just resting in there for the purpose of the picture, (I know its loose)

Anyway, just thought you guys might find this interesting. Thanks again to DH1 for his conversion thread and videos, and the direct help.

• DH1, Texas Deere and Horse, HowardsMF155 and 1 other said thanks

#2 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted January 04, 2013 - 08:30 AM

That is an interesting idea, mating an electric motor to a hydro drive.  Will the electric motor give you roughly 3600 rpm?  Are you planning on driving anything like a mower deck with the electric motor, or is this just going to be a driving type tractor?   About the switch from 24 to 36 volt controller, I'd say with the hydro drive, just drive the motor directly off 36 volts with an on/off switch, anything else will just add  complications, you kind of want that motor running high rpms for efficiency.

Looking forward to more on this!!

• Jehtro said thank you

#3 Jehtro OFFLINE  

Jehtro

Tractorholic

• 109 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted January 04, 2013 - 08:50 AM

I'm not sure how everything will work out,

I'll know more once I get that motor mounted to the drive, then I can do some testing with some jumper cables. Drive it around a bit, see how it works. I think the motor is like 4000 rpm or something,

I don't really need the existing attachments at this point (blower and grass deck) , but I was thinking of eventually either another motor for PTO, or take a pulley of the drive shaft.

I would like a tractor around with a snow / dirt plow. I had a plow on my H14 and it was handy as heck, cleaning the drive off on those sloppy days.

• HowardsMF155 said thank you

#4 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted January 04, 2013 - 04:54 PM

Hi Jehtro I see you got a motor and a good start on the project, looks like you have solved a couple of problems in doing a conversion.

Where to put the motor, how to control and transfer the motors power.

Direct coupling like your doing eliminates the expense of buying a controller and pot-box for it. Just run the motor at battery voltage, 36volts, the Hydrostatic drive becomes your controller for both speed and forward reverse. I really curious as to how efficient it's going to be or how much run time it will have, sometimes you just have to do it to find out. There really isn't a lot of info on this out there.

Looks like the entire engine bay is going to be free for batteries.

Can you read any #s off of the motor? Do you know what it's ratings are?

• Jehtro said thank you

#5 Jehtro OFFLINE  

Jehtro

Tractorholic

• 109 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted January 04, 2013 - 07:00 PM

Hi Jehtro I see you got a motor and a good start on the project, looks like you have solved a couple of problems in doing a conversion.
Where to put the motor, how to control and transfer the motors power.
Direct coupling like your doing eliminates the expense of buying a controller and pot-box for it. Just run the motor at battery voltage, 36volts, the Hydrostatic drive becomes your controller for both speed and forward reverse. I really curious as to how efficient it's going to be or how much run time it will have, sometimes you just have to do it to find out. There really isn't a lot of info on this out there.
Looks like the entire engine bay is going to be free for batteries.
Can you read any #s off of the motor? Do you know what it's ratings are?

The tractor is fairly long, comparable to the 318, and the side panels extend outward, so there should be a bit of space fot batteries.

I'm hoping 24v will do, then i want to run 4 batteries. Does the voltage effect the speed? i read in your build thread 36v was the way to go.

The motor is the same one from "eco steve" that emailed you about before. I'll snap a pic of the motor plate.

My coupling is still at the welder, he's been swapped, but i want him to weld that piece, so i'm back on house renos this weekend,

#6 Mr Electrak OFFLINE  

Mr Electrak

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1249
  • 121 Thanks
  • 76 posts

Posted January 06, 2013 - 05:22 PM

Here's a Hydro conversion that might give you a couple of ideas.....

Good luck !
  • Jehtro and CleanPowerElectric have said thanks

#7 Jehtro OFFLINE  

Jehtro

Tractorholic

• 109 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted January 06, 2013 - 08:30 PM

Thats pretty cool, i wonder if the hydro static rear end would provide enough pressure / volume to run a loader? I'm sure i would have to run an addtional oil tank and cooler. I guess i'm getting ahead of myself, but I've always wanted a loader. still waiting on my coupler from the weld shop, I just want to start some bench testing.

#8 Jehtro OFFLINE  

Jehtro

Tractorholic

• 109 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted January 06, 2013 - 08:49 PM

Here's a Hydro conversion that might give you a couple of ideas.....

Good luck !

I dont see another hydro pump for his loader, i'm going to email that address, see if he has any ideas about run time etc. Thanks,

#9 CleanPowerElectric OFFLINE  

CleanPowerElectric
  • Member No: 24175
  • 13 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 06:18 PM

Great site! and thread! Thanks Electrac, for including in the conversation my video on the Ford LGT17H conversion.

Converting Tractors to electric drive is not only practical, but it is very straight forward. This applies to standard or hydrostatic models. So long as you match the RPM and Hp/torque requirements it runs not only the same but better. Less noise, emissions, and maintenance costs. 

Using soy based hydraulic oil removes all pollutants from the use of a tractor altogether. 

The battery pack can be positioned to eliminate the need for wheel weights. 

There is a 40-50% savings in energy cost over the lifetime of the batty pack (including the cost of battery replacement).

My first conversion went so well that I have started a business converting tractors. It's a great way to keep these fine machines from the dump, just as Jehtro has done.

• Mr Electrak, Texas Deere and Horse, Jehtro and 1 other said thanks

#10 CRFarnsworth OFFLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 3,634 Thanks
  • 1,732 posts

Posted January 25, 2013 - 07:47 PM

Jethro,  Just found this post and have read with interest as I have done something similar to a wheel horse. I am using a 24 volt motor from an electric lift truck. It is a 1500 rpm motor that i run with just a heavy duty on-off switch. I mounted a pulley of sufficient diameter to spin the transmission pulley at approximately 2400 rpm.  If you would like I can take some pictures and post them.

• Jehtro said thank you

#11 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted January 25, 2013 - 09:40 PM

Jethro,  Just found this post and have read with interest as I have done something similar to a wheel horse. I am using a 24 volt motor from an electric lift truck. It is a 1500 rpm motor that i run with just a heavy duty on-off switch. I mounted a pulley of sufficient diameter to spin the transmission pulley at approximately 2400 rpm.  If you would like I can take some pictures and post them.

I'd like to see more about your project, maybe you could start a thread on it.

• CRFarnsworth said thank you

#12 Jehtro OFFLINE  

Jehtro

Tractorholic

• 109 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted January 25, 2013 - 11:55 PM

I'd really like to see some pictures of it,

#13 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 26, 2013 - 01:00 AM

I want to read more about these conversions. Please keep posting guys.

#14 CRFarnsworth OFFLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • 3,634 Thanks
  • 1,732 posts

Posted January 26, 2013 - 08:20 AM

Good morning good people.  I'm going to turn the heat on in the shop and take the wife out for breakfast. Then I'll take some pics.of what i have done and maybe a few reasons why.   Rick   :wave:

• Texas Deere and Horse and Jehtro have said thanks

#15 CRFarnsworth OFFLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • 3,634 Thanks
  • 1,732 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 05:25 PM

Jethro,  Anything new happening?   Hope you're making progress.  I know that doing one of these conversions is an "electrifying" experience. :D  :D  :D  :D .     Rick 

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you