Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

How Gullible People Can Be.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,702 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted January 03, 2013 - 11:31 PM

I just checked my email and as usual there was some spam in the spam folder.  One of them caught my eye as I was hitting the delete all button.  It was supposedly from a PC performance company and said they could fix your PC problems and enhance it's performance.  I thought to myself the poor gullible fool that actually believes that and downloads what ever they are offering will probably be in for big surprise when all their personal information is taken and maybe their bank account.  

These spammers / scammers will try just about anything.

#2 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted January 03, 2013 - 11:53 PM

You would be surprised how many are. Maybe they go in and free up space for all the new spam you will get after they sell all your information.

• HDWildBill said thank you

#3 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,769 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted January 04, 2013 - 12:50 AM

The old saying was "Theres a sucker born every minute and two to take him". Now days with the general dumbing down its probably 4 to take them.

#4 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 04, 2013 - 01:02 AM

Sometimes those services actually install a virus that later shows up.

• HDWildBill and boyscout862 have said thanks

#5 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted January 04, 2013 - 05:03 AM

hmmm.....no matter where you go, or what you do, they will find new ways constantly.  We are always tryin to get better at fixing our GT's, they are trying to get better at what they do...scammin people.  A suggestion I will give you folks, use only ATM's located at a bank.  They are the only ones that actually have cameras inside them regardless if the lil window is present or not.  There's a device people put in the card reader where you swipe.  After you do your business, they go back and retrieve it and they have all your info right on the device you just swiped.  They are so thin you won't even see it.  If I pull another one out at work this week I'll post a pic for reference only....like I said, you won't see it if it's in.  Criminals tend to not put them on "bank" located ATM's because they know there is cameras.

Edited by Farmlife, January 04, 2013 - 05:04 AM.

• JDBrian, HDWildBill, David Brown and 1 other said thanks

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 04, 2013 - 06:10 AM

hmmm.....no matter where you go, or what you do, they will find new ways constantly.  We are always tryin to get better at fixing our GT's, they are trying to get better at what they do...scammin people.  A suggestion I will give you folks, use only ATM's located at a bank.  They are the only ones that actually have cameras inside them regardless if the lil window is present or not.  There's a device people put in the card reader where you swipe.  After you do your business, they go back and retrieve it and they have all your info right on the device you just swiped.  They are so thin you won't even see it.  If I pull another one out at work this week I'll post a pic for reference only....like I said, you won't see it if it's in.  Criminals tend to not put them on "bank" located ATM's because they know there is cameras.

It's commonly called "skimming" up here. They have done it even at banks but the latest generation of ATM's and seecurity have reduced that. There have also been some high profile take downs of the perpetrators who are typically from out of town and travel from city to city making a living off of other peoples info.

#7 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted January 04, 2013 - 08:33 AM

i have a rc car on craigslist for 200 bucks. and someone emailed me if i would do a payment plan with him. saying he kid is out of the country and he never sees his kid and his kid wants a RC car

#8 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted January 04, 2013 - 09:52 AM

Thank God that my inlaws, in their 80's, don't use computers.  It took years to make them realize that if they check their checking balance with their ATM card, it wasn't accurate especially if they just mailed out checks to pay bills.  They spent about 2 years, repeatedly paying overdraft fees and not understanding why.  If they had a computer, I am sure they would learn more about scams, but they just might see one and fall for it. 

My son has a sister that is 4 years younger than he is.  He used to look up and say, "Someone wrote Gullible on the ceiling."  That little girl ALWAYS looked up.    He also discovered that if you take apart one of those disposable cameras, you can taze someone with it.  He would always tell her he wouldn't shock her and she would always hold her arm out and he would zap her. 

#9 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,702 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted January 04, 2013 - 10:11 AM

i have a rc car on craigslist for 200 bucks. and someone emailed me if i would do a payment plan with him. saying he kid is out of the country and he never sees his kid and his kid wants a RC car

Man if that doesn't send up red flag's.

Thank God that my inlaws, in their 80's, don't use computers.  It took years to make them realize that if they check their checking balance with their ATM card, it wasn't accurate especially if they just mailed out checks to pay bills.  They spent about 2 years, repeatedly paying overdraft fees and not understanding why.  If they had a computer, I am sure they would learn more about scams, but they just might see one and fall for it. 

My son has a sister that is 4 years younger than he is.  He used to look up and say, "Someone wrote Gullible on the ceiling."  That little girl ALWAYS looked up.    He also discovered that if you take apart one of those disposable cameras, you can taze someone with it.  He would always tell her he wouldn't shock her and she would always hold her arm out and he would zap her. 

My wife has a friend who is 90 and trying to keep her straight with the junk mail and especially with this PCH (publishers clearing house, a legal scam in my opinion) stuff is just an never ending task.  I would hate to see what kind of trouble she would get into on a computer. 

• boyscout862 said thank you

#10 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted January 04, 2013 - 10:40 AM

My Parents don't have a computer yet, and now I'm thinking that might be a good thing. My Mom is just too trusting. It is a shame we use technology to steal from one another.

#11 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted January 04, 2013 - 11:30 AM

i had a guy from washinton text me about the firebird when it was up forsale the 2nd time asking if he could send me a check to hold the car until he could have someone pick it up. mm noway i know how that works he woulda sent me a check for more then what i was asking im sure