• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 CubHorse80 OFFLINE  

CubHorse80
  • Member No: 19713
  • 159 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted January 03, 2013 - 02:11 PM

I got my GT18 running great, i have the snowplow and now i would like to make a "ROPS" bar. NO, it wont keep me from killing myself if i flip... BUT i want to put some lights on it, and the last 4 amber strobes on the back. I would also like to mount a toolbox on the back, and possibly build a cab of the bar in the long run. I am wondering the bast way to do it. OH, i forgot, i want to be able to take it off. Should i make it so it mounts to existing bolt holes on the hitch plate? or figure something else out? PLEASE HELP! its gona be a witch to figure out.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC01318.JPG
  • DSC01319.JPG

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,383 Thanks
  • 39,650 posts

Posted January 03, 2013 - 02:29 PM

Nice GT18! You have nothing under the fender pan to support weight, so I would go off the hitch plate.

• CubHorse80 said thank you

#3 CubHorse80 OFFLINE  

CubHorse80
  • 159 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted January 03, 2013 - 05:36 PM

There is the bolt that goes through the pan, then the seat spring the to the frame... I could use that as a main then bolt to fender pan for support... I am just now looking into this. and i got a plow... waiting on the brackets from sears. Also gos amber strobes for plowing.

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,383 Thanks
  • 39,650 posts

Posted January 03, 2013 - 05:55 PM

You can go that way. I wasn't sure if you wanted to put holes out there and maybe scratch the paint up.

#5 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 03, 2013 - 06:34 PM

You could mount a loop on the hitch plate to function as a light bar. I don't believe the hitch plate is going to function as a ROPS. I've never looked at a GT18, does it have a rail frame where you could run brackets over the axle and tie in ahead of it a  foot or so? If not a single loop could be more of a hazard than protection. Might be better off tying int the frame ahead of the footrests and using double loops paralel to the frame in a cage fashion.  There are a lot of things to consider, it would be easy to hang a ROPs on a tree limb, so if you have any low hanging limbs take that into consideration.

Edited by JD DANNELS, January 03, 2013 - 06:36 PM.

#6 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,731 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted January 03, 2013 - 06:38 PM

I have thought about doing that for more light.

#7 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted January 03, 2013 - 07:21 PM

Always wanted to make a bar just for looks on a PK.  Looked a little, but hard to find a place to run the mounts to, even with all that exposed frame they have. Would think tinnier new stuff would be even harder to find strong spot w/out going thru some body panels somewhere on them. I have Lumber Yard J-deere that has two holes in fender panel in back and two in dash area for a SUN shade frame that you can get. Shade might be OK, but sure not much of places for mounting. Must be REAL light shade frame!

ON big lights.....isn't there issues with having big enough generator in engines to run all of them or such?  Seems I recall that being an issue, overrunning capacity.  Maybe LED's that don't take much juice work?  Not sure you get much light tho from them. Might have to put in a REAL battery to run them too.

• MH81 said thank you

#8 CubHorse80 OFFLINE  

CubHorse80
  • 159 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted January 03, 2013 - 08:58 PM

It wouldnt function like rops, but just for looks. Its a rail frame... I will draw it out and scan it on here... And about power issue, I only use led lights, i allready upgraded the front lights to leds and it works great. i also have anber strobes for plowing. i will try to get some pics in minute. leds take a VERY little amount of power. i could leave them on all week and th tractor will still start.

#9 CubHorse80 OFFLINE  

CubHorse80
  • 159 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted January 03, 2013 - 09:22 PM

Heres the idea...

Attached Files

• Attached File  scan.pdf   585.09KB   115 downloads

• KennyP said thank you

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,242 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted January 03, 2013 - 10:01 PM

i think its a neat idea if you just want to get the lights up there, but if I were you, I'd put an extension over your head so the lights are in front of you.

Just about over the steering wheel & you'll loose most of the shadows and you won't get glare back from anything close. Just an idea.

#11 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted January 03, 2013 - 10:37 PM

I would be thinking about some sq. stock on each side of the frame between the wheels. Then just use a smaller tube that could slide into the main mounting tube, this would be very secure and easy to remove if need be.tube.jpg

• CubHorse80 said thank you

#12 CubHorse80 OFFLINE  

CubHorse80
  • 159 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted January 03, 2013 - 10:40 PM

thats a pretty good idea!

#13 CubHorse80 OFFLINE  

CubHorse80
  • 159 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted January 03, 2013 - 10:41 PM

I would be thinking about some sq. stock on each side of the frame between the wheels. Then just use a smaller tube that could slide into the main mounting tube, this would be very secure and easy to remove if need be.attachicon.giftube.jpg

So mount bigger tube to frame, then make the bar mounts a smaller tube. Then just slide it in and secure with pins?

#14 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,473 Thanks
  • 5,008 posts

Posted January 03, 2013 - 10:45 PM

Looks like a neat idea. I hope it turns out the way you want. Even if you use just 14 ga. tubing it should keep you from rolling clear over.

#15 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted January 03, 2013 - 10:49 PM

So mount bigger tube to frame, then make the bar mounts a smaller tube. Then just slide it in and secure with pins?

Either a pin or drill a hole thru both tubes, nut welded on main frame, now a bolt and lock washer, the washer and nut will secure the tube that slides in, and may be easier to remove/install as the tractor frame may be in the way of using a pin. You could  also be able to only drill main frame,weld a nut on, add washer short bolt and let fiction hold it in place.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sears, lights, craftsman