12 replies to this topic

#1 Petenpole OFFLINE  

Petenpole

• Contributor
  • Member No: 70
  • 145 Thanks
  • 149 posts

Posted January 03, 2013 - 09:08 AM

I titled this post as “DUH” because for a  period of 2 weeks I had what my daughter refers to as a Sr. Moment.

Some background;  I have a Massey 1855 that has what could be simply stated as a hard life and I am waiting on a new engine that is being built for it. I have acquired the correct snow blower and 4 foot blade that attaches to the 3 point hitch.

Yes here in Kansas City we do get enough snow to utilize the blower and blade.

I had the snow blower attached  and noticed when lowered the left end of the blower ( as viewed from the seat) was on the garage floor, while the right end was approximately ¾ to 1 inch off the floor. So on the first snow of 4 inches 2 weeks ago the snow blower missed about 18 inches of each path until it was weighted down with snow and then it picked up most ( until the chute became clogged up).

So each day as I take the dogs out for the daily business I have looked at the tractor trying to decide why the snow blower wasn’t sitting level. Thoughts of a twisted  or damaged show blower attachment mount, twisted tractor frame all ran through the grey mass.

Last night I decided to try and find the problem. Why I got out the tape measure is unknown to me but that’s what I did. I started at the rear wheels of the tractor measuring the height of the seat pan from the floor. My goal was to measure from that point take notes and then move to several point on the frame. Hopefully if the frame measurements were all the same then the problem had to be in the attachment mount on the front of the tractor.

Imagine my surprise when the first measurement of the seat pan height had the right side 1 inch higher than the left side.  Hmmm that was odd. I Stood behind the tractor and lifted the left side of the seat pan and the blower sat flush with the floor.

What the heck?????

I got the less than trusted tire gauge out and the LR tire wouldn’t even register on the gauge. The right side showed some pressure. What if I added some air to the LR tire?

15 minutes later with about 20 lbs of air pressure in the tire ( tire chains are tight now)  the snow blower is sitting nice and level.

What an amazing set of circumstances and discovery.

Moral to the story: Before deciding there is a major issue with the structural integrity of our toys, stop and check the tire pressure.  It could be as simple as adding air and finding the tractor is once again level with the world.

So that’s why I called it a “DUH Moment.”

Yes you may laugh with me. 

• mjodrey, MH81, IamSherwood and 4 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,522 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted January 03, 2013 - 09:22 AM

That is one of those things often forgotten when analyzing a problem. Thanks for reminding us!

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted January 03, 2013 - 09:23 AM

No laughing here.  We all have those moments.  Just this last summer I couldn't get my mowing tractor started.  First thing I did was look in the gas tank.  It was shiny down there so I thought I had enough gas.  I started going over possible scenarios in my head and even researched prices of things I might need when something just told me to check the gas again.  It's a black plastic tank so you really can't see down in very well.  I used a light this time and saw that the tank was indeed empty.  Just enough fuel to shine when you open the cap.  I filled it up and went on about my mowing.  I felt so stupid.

Edited by David Brown, January 03, 2013 - 09:23 AM.

#4 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted January 03, 2013 - 09:32 AM

The same goes with mower decks. Check the air in all 4 tires before attempting to level the deck. Depending on operator weight and normal tire pressure, it may not be level after adding 200-300 lbs to the seat.

#5 oldtimer OFFLINE  

oldtimer
  • Member No: 10588
  • 374 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted January 03, 2013 - 10:55 AM

You're not alone in the senior moment department. After getting the snowblower on and all set up.  I went to back it into the shed.  It conked out.   several times.  So I just decided to drive it in, since it was only October, and I'd get back to it.  Two nights later, while in bed, the light came on !  I had forgot to put the key in the Reverse Operating Position........... D'OHH !!  :wallbanging:

#6 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted January 03, 2013 - 12:08 PM

And the fix was FREE.

Dick

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 03, 2013 - 12:11 PM

Sounds like normal memory function to me. I find I forget all about tire pressure and this fall while using the box blade on my 314 I looked down and found the rear tires were nearly flat. I added some air and hopefully they will hold. I hadn't added any air in the year and a half I'd had it.

#8 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted January 03, 2013 - 12:41 PM

This isn't the first thread like this, it happens quite often you have a problem and off your brain goes to all the possibilities.  It is only human nature that we all forget at times to keep it simple especially when troubleshooting.  You are in good company.

The same goes with mower decks. Check the air in all 4 tires before attempting to level the deck. Depending on operator weight and normal tire pressure, it may not be level after adding 200-300 lbs to the seat.

Since I work on a variety of tractors I will usually try and get the manual for the tractor when leveling the deck.  Al though the procedures and the measuring points change.  The one thing is consistent the first step in everyone I have read is check the tire pressure and adjust accordingly.   This is a very good point Rat88

#9 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 03, 2013 - 01:48 PM

I'm sorry I'm confused? What's a Senior Moment? Thought that was life in general(mine anyway)? :wave:

Yeah we all do it!!

#10 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,335 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted January 03, 2013 - 02:02 PM

Did this just the other day with the blower on the ST16, i was sure it was tweaked... then i discovered both RH tires low.  Only took me 15 minutes of worried poking before I straightened up and put my hand on the tire to assist in getting up.  I am right there with ya!... "DUH"

#11 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted January 03, 2013 - 02:38 PM

Did this just the other day with the blower on the ST16, i was sure it was tweaked... then i discovered both RH tires low.  Only took me 15 minutes of worried poking before I straightened up and put my hand on the tire to assist in getting up.  I am right there with ya!... "DUH"

Sometimes getting older and having to have something to help you up does have it's benefits!  :smilewink:

• MH81 said thank you

#12 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted January 04, 2013 - 09:47 AM

Good story Petenpole. Thanks. Senior moments aren't so bad. We all get them.  Imagine if you'd have found a smaller tire

on that side. :smilewink:

#13 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted January 04, 2013 - 09:52 AM

The senior moment that get me is; I'll be working along just fine and put down a wrench or something then spend the next 10 minutes looking for it because I can't remember where I put it.  :mad2: