coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted January 01, 2013 - 07:40 PM

Well me and sweetie have been talking for a few years about getting her, her very own pistol. Other needs and  bills have kept us from making it a reality until yesterday. We actually started the adventure at the begining of Dec. We had some free time and I had taken her shopping,I was out of .22 bullets so I pulled into one of the local gun stores to stock up. It was nt too busy so I decided to get her looking at some pistols. She looked at some autos and a couple of revolvers. She spent about 30 minutes handling them and we left. On the way back home we started talking about what she liked and didnt like. After several days of on and off discussion I told her to go online and apply for a pistol permit (NC LAW requires that a permit be issued by the sheriff in the county that you reside in). She got her permit issued a few days after christmas. I had wanted her to look at a few more pistols before she decided what she wanted to buy. She had already made up her mind, I didnt know that but we had fun on the adventure anyway.

So Dec 31 roles around and we both had the day off, I take her to the original gun store we had stopped at and she bought her first gun ever. She had settled on a Ruger SP101, stainless. She walked right up to the counter and handed the guy her permit and told him "thats the one I want". While she was filling out the paperwork, me and my oldest (6yo) picked her out some hearing protectors and shooting glasses. I walked back to her to see if she wanted anything else and she told me to pick out 2 boxes of 38 special so she could practice. 

We drove home and setup some targets. In 10 minute she had went through 50 rounds and started getting the hang of using a pistol. She could keep them all in the black without using sites (5yard distance). I wouldnt let her use the other box of ammo since it was the expensive stuff. So now she is trying to find the best price on practice ammo. She also wants to get some engraving work done to her pistol too.

• MH81, tinner and Kurtee have said thanks

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 01, 2013 - 07:44 PM

Good to know that your wife can handle a weapon to protect her and the kids. :thumbs:

• coldone, tinner and tractorgarden have said thanks

#3 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted January 01, 2013 - 08:02 PM

That is great news! I am glad to here that honey is on target! Keep your powder dry! Shawn

• coldone and tinner have said thanks

#4 Kurtee OFFLINE  

Kurtee

• Member No: 7561
  • 463 Thanks
  • 415 posts

Posted January 01, 2013 - 08:14 PM

Nice handling revolver there. How long of barrel did she get? What caliber? I have the 357 magnum with 2.25 barrel length. I see the 38 special ammo but that is compatible with the 357 also. Ammo pricing has gone nuts with all the talk on gun control. I was looking in the store I was in on Sunday and all they had was 2 boxes of 38, no 357. The 223 ammo was gone with the exception of some tracers. It has about doubled on Gunbroker.

• tinner and tractorgarden have said thanks

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,301 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted January 01, 2013 - 08:16 PM

I think she and you have made a very wise decision in improving her and her loved one's chances of surviving a bad situation.

• tractorgarden and Kurtee have said thanks

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 01, 2013 - 08:34 PM

Just be sure she doesn't up your life insurance coverage!    :poke: .............. :smilewink:

• coldone, tinner, Texas Deere and Horse and 1 other said thanks

#7 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted January 01, 2013 - 09:38 PM

Its the 2.25 inch barrel and it is a 357. 38 special can be fired thru any 357. The 38 is the parent cartridge to the 357.

Yes it was purchased with self defense in mind, but it is a last resort. The most powerful weapon in anyones arsenal is their own mind. Situational awareness is one of the most important weapons we have. If it feels like a bad situation, dont put yourself in it. That is what is being taught in our house, not only to each other but the kids also.

Sorry for the soapbox edition. Just wanted to explain my take on self defense with a gun.

• MH81, Kurtee and Team_Green have said thanks

#8 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,869 Thanks
  • 3,198 posts

Posted January 01, 2013 - 10:00 PM

Good on you!  It makes us proud every time we hear of a family that shoots together and includes the children in the family activity. With guns, familiarity breeds common sence, responsibility, and awarness. Enjoy your pistol and your freedom.

• coldone, tractorgarden and Kurtee have said thanks

#9 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted January 01, 2013 - 10:58 PM

Good on you!!   It always amazes me that people can genuinely believe that disarming the law-abiding will reduce crime.  The horrible situation in Connecticut has brought on a form of mass hysteria regarding evil guns... People aren't even stopping to consider, much less accept the fact that making schools a gun free zone aids and abets the lawbreakers that use weapons to maim and kill...

I'll get off my soap box, now... at least for a few minutes...

Utah Smitty

• coldone, tractorgarden, Kurtee and 1 other said thanks

#10 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted January 01, 2013 - 11:14 PM

Just be sure she doesn't up your life insurance coverage!    :poke: .............. :smilewink:

Not trying to steal a thread, but oh my , I got a chuckle out of that one. :bigrofl:

#11 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted January 01, 2013 - 11:24 PM

Not trying to steal a thread, but oh my , I got a chuckle out of that one. :bigrofl:

Thanks Dan, She has been trying to get me to up it for several years.

#12 Kurtee OFFLINE  

Kurtee

• Member No: 7561
  • 463 Thanks
  • 415 posts

Posted January 02, 2013 - 08:28 AM

Good on you!  It makes us proud every time we hear of a family that shoots together and includes the children in the family activity. With guns, familiarity breeds common sence, responsibility, and awarness. Enjoy your pistol and your freedom.

Thanks for putting it so well. I believe that every child needs to have gun training. Not so much as to be able to shoot but to know what happens and can happen with guns that are mishandled. Too many times we hear of the child that found the gun and someone has been hurt or killed.

• tinner said thank you

#13 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 02, 2013 - 09:28 AM

Believe it or not, my 1st shooting experience came from 4H camp.  Dad never owned a gun in my lifetime.  He has Grandpa's old shotgun now, but just as a keepsake.  I am to get it soon.  Dad wants me to have it, as I'm the only one who likes guns in the family, and the only one he trusts to keep it, which I will till time to pass it to my Grandson if he's so inclined.  

4H gave shooting lessons, and I loved it.  I was around 9 or 10 at the time.  Was an old Stevens single shot 22 bolt action.  What they taught me stuck pretty well.

#14 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted January 02, 2013 - 01:43 PM

Hey coldone, now she has one more deterrent in her arsenal to use against you when you even think about adding another GT to your fleet. Living here in Maine guns are a part of every day life. Whether I ever own a gun in my life or not I'm thankful to still live in a country where that option exists and I pray to God that it remains so. Thanks for sharing.

• tractorgarden said thank you

#15 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted January 02, 2013 - 02:29 PM

Yes, I'd have to agree with Moosetales on the caution regarding arming the wife.  I'm going to refrain from purchasing mine guns and keep all sharp cutting instruments away from the bed nightstand as well.