• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 01, 2013 - 04:10 PM

I have the 4 couplers from the 317 cleaned up externally but am wondering if I can disassemble them to clean them or if it's possible to flush them out. They had some dirt and grass under the caps. There is an O ring in them just behind the detent balls. Can that be removed and cleaned/replaced easily? I've never gone into these before. I suppose I could connect them to a male end and flush them that way. Since I will possibly be sharing the front hitch with the 2320 I don't want to contaminate the fluid in the larger tractor so I want these to be thoroughly cleaned. Any advice appreciated.

#2 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,404 Thanks
  • 3,155 posts

Posted January 01, 2013 - 04:35 PM

Yup, replace them!! You can't really replace the o rings that are captured very easily.

#3 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 01, 2013 - 04:51 PM

JD., I Have cleaned and flushed several of them and had good luck with replacing the O-rings. I bought an O-ring pick several years ago. It has a straight end and bent at 90 degree end on it, works great. I also use a gun cleaning kit for my 22Cal. to get inside the bore of the couplings.

#4 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted January 01, 2013 - 06:06 PM

If they're not leaking, and you can do a good cleaning, with Q-tips/gun cleaning kit, and flushing, you

should be Ok. That's why there's a filter in the system.

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 01, 2013 - 07:40 PM

I want to try to stay with these if I can. They are Pioneer couplers and I don't think they were ever used much. The sleeves all move easily and the ball looks good in them. It would cost a fair bit to replace them. Given the rather low pressure (600psi) used in this tractor I think they will be alright. 

#6 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted January 02, 2013 - 07:02 AM

Brian , I think if they aren't leaking from dirt already getting in them , you should be able to just clean the area that was exposed to dirt . Maybe a round brass brush , brakeclean , Did it have those rubber protective caps like some quick coulper do ? Al

#7 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted January 02, 2013 - 08:12 AM

If they're not leaking, and you can do a good cleaning, with Q-tips/gun cleaning kit, and flushing, you

should be Ok. That's why there's a filter in the system.

I agree with Will, If it aint broke, Clean It! Good luck.

#8 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted January 02, 2013 - 09:07 AM

I wouldn't replace them,being on a farm and always hooking up to different implements etc:the o-rings do get damaged over time.As mentioned before use a small [eg; dental pick] to remove the o-rings.You can pick up o-rings at hardware/tractor dealer etc;.Also clean them up with even a old toothbrush.soft rag etc:.No need to replace them.Larry

#9 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,404 Thanks
  • 3,155 posts

Posted January 02, 2013 - 10:37 AM

The large o ring is easy, but the one under the ball that you can't see ( some have them some don't) is the one I'm talking about. I have prepaired many different brands and styles and" if it doesn't leak don't fix it!"
Cleaning it out and keeping both sides clean before coupling is about the best you can do. Also make sure both your tractors are usingtthe same oil or you will cross contaminate! Yowser!! This can be bad!!! Especially if one rig is running engine oil and the other hy-trans... like Ingersol/case to say, Deere or something on those lines for example.
Just something to think about.... Oh and filters do nothing until the oil has circulated ... and if it has an oil cooler..... oh boy... messy messy messy!!!!
What can get ruined from something in there; anything attached to that circuit. Including the valve and all jointly operated circuits in that valve.
So keep them clean :)